Stressing the new budgie- when to take to the vet?

RaeKling

Jan 14, 2020
Cincinnati, Ohio
Parrots
Budgies- Skyler (F) and JJ (M)
obtained Dec 9, 2019
I have a budgie specific question and I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I got my budgies a month ago. They are approx. 4 months. They were in a flight cage with 8 others and they weren't well socialized with people. When we got them we spent the first week trying to build trust and made progress- getting them onto our hands for millet.

However, Skyler's nails were so long she was getting caught on things and she needed a trim. I didn't want to stress them too much, so I took them to a bird shop near me for a nail trim, no wing clip. I thought a vet might be a little too much for them, and unnecessary at the moment.

Afterwards the trust went to nil for a while. They still don't want to take millet from my hand, let alone get on my hand. Well, it's more that hand trust went to nil. They still seem to think all hands are going to be grabbing. Whatever, I'm patient.

The question is, when do I submit them to the necessary stress of the vet? If I go now it means more getting grabbed for travel and by the vet. I could wait and try and tame/train so I can at least get them in carriers without stress... but then I don't know if the vet would set that so far back as to make it a waste of time.

So how stressful does the vet end up being for them? Does it set your tame budgies back in the taming process? What would you do in my position? They seem very healthy, active and I don't have any health concerns so this is just precautionary.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm not a Budgie guy but those little guys are like most other birds. So this is just my opinion here. First off I gather your guys are youngsters. EVERYTHING to them is new. New house..new people..no budgie friends hanging around anymore. They are (I'm sure) frightened and confused. you were gaining trust already and then WHAM they are being handled by big monsters. would scare me too :eek: I'd keep working at gaining your trust before subjecting them to being grabbed/held,unless of course it is a dire necessity to get them to an avian vet. Once they are jumping on your hand or landing on your head (budgies do that kind of thing :p) and willing want to be with you.

I can grab BB the cockatiel around his back and pick him up and smother him in kisses as he yells at me and growls and when I gently put him back on his perch,two minutes later he is asking for skritches..he trusts me :)

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts