suddenly throwing all of her chop out of her bowl?

ulnessity

Jul 7, 2021
NC, USA
Parrots
Indian ringneck and a Quaker
Hi, I’m looking for a bit of advice/suggestions!
recently, my ringneck has started to fling and rake her chop out of her bowl. she doesn’t do this with her pellets, and she never did this with her chop up until recently, she would even eat the most and all of it out of my whole flock. I’ve recently started adding dried herbs/botanicals into their chop, so i’m not sure if it’s that she simply just doesn’t like it that way? she doesn’t stop until every last bit is out of her bowl and on the bottom of her cage. she’ll chew it up first and then fling it, so it’s hard for me to tell if she’s actually swallowing any of it. I’ve seen people recommend hooded bowls for that but I feel as if though she still wouldn’t eat any regardless of a hood.

typically, when I sit down to eat my food, she’ll nearly chase me around the room trying to get some. I’ve tried that with her chop to see if she’ll eat it then, but it seems she didn’t fall for it and instead got angry at the spoon and did the same thing lol. then I tried sprinkling some of her favorite seeds into it, but that didn’t do anything either. I can’t exactly remove the herbs and botanicals as that is an important component to chop. any advice would be appreciated!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hi, I’m looking for a bit of advice/suggestions!
recently, my ringneck has started to fling and rake her chop out of her bowl. she doesn’t do this with her pellets, and she never did this with her chop up until recently, she would even eat the most and all of it out of my whole flock. I’ve recently started adding dried herbs/botanicals into their chop, so i’m not sure if it’s that she simply just doesn’t like it that way? she doesn’t stop until every last bit is out of her bowl and on the bottom of her cage. she’ll chew it up first and then fling it, so it’s hard for me to tell if she’s actually swallowing any of it. I’ve seen people recommend hooded bowls for that but I feel as if though she still wouldn’t eat any regardless of a hood.

typically, when I sit down to eat my food, she’ll nearly chase me around the room trying to get some. I’ve tried that with her chop to see if she’ll eat it then, but it seems she didn’t fall for it and instead got angry at the spoon and did the same thing lol. then I tried sprinkling some of her favorite seeds into it, but that didn’t do anything either. I can’t exactly remove the herbs and botanicals as that is an important component to chop. any advice would be appreciated!
She may not like the taste of the herbs, what herbs and such are you using? Many birds won't eat something if you add a flavor they don't like. If your bird doesn't like the herbs next time you make chop don't add them into the big batch make them into her meals and narrow down which one she doesn't like, then go from there.

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
Ooh that's tough. My conure and cockatoo used to do this too but then I just took out anything they didn't like and replaced them with veggies they did enjoy. And they started eating more of it rather than flinging it.

OP
ulnessity

ulnessity

Jul 7, 2021
NC, USA
Parrots
Indian ringneck and a Quaker
She may not like the taste of the herbs, what herbs and such are you using? Many birds won't eat something if you add a flavor they don't like. If your bird doesn't like the herbs next time you make chop don't add them into the big batch make them into her meals and narrow down which one she doesn't like, then go from there.
understood!
dill, burdock root, roses, dandelion root, honeysuckle, lavender, and bay leaves are whats being added. I was thinking since they’re dried, I could ground them up and add them into her pellets? since she’s never had an issue with those (edit: not sure why it replied twice, sorry about that!)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts