Tail feathers

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
Hey everyone recently I noticed my gcc is hew at his tail feathers does this look bad he eat tropican, tops, veggies, fruit, grains and legumes. He has lots of toys in his cage he can destroy. I do have school in the day so my plan is to wake up earlier and spend quality time aswell as at night. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 55
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Drop the Tropican, one pellet is more than enough. How many hours of sleep does he get? He shouldn't have fruit more than twice a week it is super high in sugar. Also, what grains do you feed and how much?

Also get him to an avian vet if it doesn't get better.

OP
Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
Drop the Tropican, one pellet is more than enough. How many hours of sleep does he get? He shouldn't have fruit more than twice a week it is super high in sugar. Also, what grains do you feed and how much?

Also get him to an avian vet if it doesn't get better.
He get 12 hours of sleep at night from 7:30 pm-7:30am. We have a vet appointment booked. And he doesn’t get fruit more than once or twice a week he gets grains about one teaspoon multiple times a week.

OP
Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Ok thank you. I will keep an eye and make sure I mention it to my vet to see what they think. It is it winter here. So the air is dry. I give him lots of baths and he comes to the shower with me for the humidity. Thanks for a quick reply
For sure! Dry air could be a reason he's irritated, so yeah, keep the humidity up, get a humidifier if it gets too dry.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hey everyone recently I noticed my gcc is hew at his tail feathers does this look bad he eat tropican, tops, veggies, fruit, grains and legumes. He has lots of toys in his cage he can destroy. I do have school in the day so my plan is to wake up earlier and spend quality time aswell as at night. Thanks for your help.
I'm glad a vet visit is in the future. Tropican is a great pellet, I feed it to my own birds along with Zupreem. I see nothing wrong in mixing pellets as long as you are also offering fresh veggies.
Plucking is a hard thing to figure out sometimes.

Here is a wonderful thread on plucking:

Plucking: A Search For Answers

I wish you the best of luck.

OP
Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
I'm glad a vet visit is in the future. Tropican is a great pellet, I feed it to my own birds along with Zupreem. I see nothing wrong in mixing pellets as long as you are also offering fresh veggies.
Plucking is a hard thing to figure out sometimes.

Here is a wonderful thread on plucking:

Plucking: A Search For Answers

I wish you the best of luck.
Thank you very much! We will see when we go to the vet but it might just be because of the dry air from it being winter I try and offer him lost of baths and humidity from shower so we will see how it goes. He is a very happy and playful content bird sometimes he can be rough on his tail feathers! Thank you

Most Reactions