meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
Oh boy, sounds like we could have a debate about this one ... in a family of 17 I would argue that the social life of these children is probably more than yours! C'mon now do you have 16 close friends that you can confide in? I understand that you probably think that they don't have a social life like you do (going out with friends, etc ... ) BUT I would argue that these children are probably more social than you are, because THEY HAVE TO BE!

No one 'hangs out' with their siblings. Do you hang out with yours? Did you when you were a kid? i doubt it. I mean maybe if you were like twins or something but thats different. And the oldest is like 19, and ranging from all different ages below. And no one say 19 hangs out with even 15 or 16 year olds, let alone like 10 year old and younger. Only desperate people do that. I bet their going to be one of those familys that ends up all marrying each other, and their kids will be messed up because they got laid by their brother/sister. I feel sorry for the 19 year old especially, he probably has no hope in hell in succeeding in life. He's probably got hardly any education because he's too busy looking after the house and family, and has little time to do the school work that he has. I mean home school doesn't count for much but still at least it can get you an ok minimum wage job.he's probably never had a real girlfriend(or whatever orientation he is), or any friends for that matter. You can only get scholarships from school and organizations. And since they out of both. The family has to pay for ALL those kids. I mean if they did have good skills how is the family going to afford to send all those kids to college or university. Specially the mother is probably on pregnancy leave(if she did have a job) most of the time. So the father has to support all those kids.

Last edited:

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Tex, that's beside the point. Home schoolers do not AUTOMATICALLY have no social life. I have two wonderfully socialized nephews that are homeschooled. (I don't agree with my sister's religious views--in fact we are diametrically opposed on most issues ... but I can tell you that those boys are very well socialized, much moreso that most children I know).

I think you need to direct that one at Meghan ... I was agreeing with you ... :D

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
I'm not saying that just because they're home schooled they have no social life, i'm saying that since they are not in school or in any extra activities or whatever they have no social life. I think most home schooled kids do have quite a good social life, there education is usually not as good, but their social life is good. Here they have programs for home schooled kids where you can get together every couple of weeks or whatever, with other home schooled kids.

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
I'm not saying that just because they're home schooled they have no social life, i'm saying that since they are not in school or in any extra activities or whatever they have no social life. I think most home schooled kids do have quite a good social life, there education is usually not as good, but their social life is good. Here they have programs for home schooled kids where you can get together every couple of weeks or whatever, with other home schooled kids.

Where are you gleaning your information from Megan?? :confused:

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
... there education is usually not as good ...

Disagree ... homeschoolers are usually better educated ... point: The last 6 winners of the US National Spelling and Geography Bees have been home schooled! If the parents commit to it 100% I would argue that homeschooling is the way to go!

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Where are you gleaning your information from Megan?? :confused:

I know a few people who are or were home schooled. Even my friends mom says the same about home schooled kids, actually say worse but whatever. I also a have a couple friends that do school by correspondence which is almost the same but not as bad. i also use to babysit this little girl and biy who use to go to school but they live in a house that has only boat access, and they canceled the water taxi in the morning so they had no choice but to home school their kids,because they only have boat and the hubby uses it real early in the morning to go to work.
I know a 22 year old who can't even read, and he was home schooled. He has no learning disability either. His parents just failed at teaching him.

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Disagree ... homeschoolers are usually better educated ... point: The last 6 winners of the US National Spelling and Geography Bees have been home schooled! If the parents commit to it 100% I would argue that homeschooling is the way to go!

Yup. Is that how you spell that?? Yup? Yep? Yes. :p

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Ok, this is a point where I am going to "respectfully disagree" with Meghan ... I think that Homeschooling is a great option! Here in the US each state regulates the Home Schooling curriculum and each child MUST show progress to continue to be home schooled. Also a home schooled child must also be subjected to all standardized tests that all publically schooled children must take (which is ANOTHER DEBATE ALL TOGETHER) .

Meghan I would encourage you to look at homeschooling more than just the opinion of a few people. Because it is becoming more popular here in the US.

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Ok, this is a point where I am going to "respectfully disagree" with Meghan ... I think that Homeschooling is a great option! Here in the US each state regulates the Home Schooling curriculum and each child MUST show progress to continue to be home schooled. Also a home schooled child must also be subjected to all standardized tests that all publically schooled children must take (which is ANOTHER DEBATE ALL TOGETHER) .

Meghan I would encourage you to look at homeschooling more than just the opinion of a few people. Because it is becoming more popular here in the US.

:worship2: you go Tex! er, Mr. Tex. Sir.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
No need to bow ... I am not that good - YET! :04:

I just think that any education, as long as it is suitable for the age of the individual (and leads to fostering a love of learning) is a wonderful thing ...

When it comes to Education, I will get on my soap box ... :57:

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
No need to bow ... I am not that good - YET! :04:

I just think that any education, as long as it is suitable for the age of the individual (and leads to fostering a love of learning) is a wonderful thing ...

When it comes to Education, I will get on my soap box ... :57:

I wasn't bowing Tex, I was looking for my contact that I dropped. ... :36:

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Well in Canada they don't have that i don't think. Though this in the USA still. I still say these people are irresponsible. How can they be successful if they're too busy doing house work and caring for their little sibs.

OP
nzchickadee

nzchickadee

May 15, 2007
Media
Christchurch Nw Zealand!
Parrots
Budgie
....Back to my Galah?
Jokes!
I love diversion :)

Right. First. Homeschooling? Yep, I'm going to consider it for my children. Because I believe in a well rounded education, and I believe my children will benefit from one on one.

As a Personal Trainer, I am FOREVER teaching balance in lifestyle. So while my kids will not have anything forced on them, I will still take them with me to church (I am a Christian), and encourage them in a wide range of interdisciplinary activities.

I did say consider, I may also consider small private schools. We aren't made of money but with my husbands and my personal experiences, we have firm beliefs on our childrens education.

I feel like chocolate.

Next.

Siblings with age differences can still enjoy each others company. In my family, the current ages of my siblings and I are 21, 16, 11, and 4. I left high school to look after the 4yr old due to mum having personal health issues. I love my wee brothers to bits and happily have them over on a regular basis.
I am grateful for the time I have had with them, and have no fear of having my own children.

I was queezy this morning.

lol oh Tex Tex Tex....

I am 21 and 9 months into my marriage. I love my husband dearly, and our future is my daily motivation.

But, as clucky as I may get, I am not pregnant (and confirmed that before seeing the doctor ;) )

I am however, on the verge of relapse. I suffered from ME for a fair while, in conjunction with Parasympathetic Nervous System Fatigue. Google the above and you will see that I became a veg. 12 months in bed, literally.

I was feeling crook, as my work is a little crazy atm as we are trying to get a new gym off the ground. It did seem that I could have been pregnant, but its just my nervous system reshowing signs of packing up. My hubby is still finishing his degree so we are reliant on my income. This means, in short, my life will be work sleep and watching what I eat REALLY carefully.

I wont have the energy to sit on the computer, which wont make sense unless you have experienced it, but will pop in here and there to make sure tex and red behave. I wont have the energy for a new parrot, and If I have to leave work, we wont have the $$ either.

Its not that extreme yet, but we are thinking positive, hoping for the best and preparing for the worst, as previous experience has taught us a few of these lessons.

Sorry its not the juicy gossip you were after!!!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I am however, on the verge of relapse. I suffered from ME for a fair while, in conjunction with Parasympathetic Nervous System Fatigue.

OMG I'm so sorry, I wish now it were what we were gossiping about, that would have been better than a relapse, We will be thinking of you and sending you all our positive thoughts and lots of good wishes. Pop in when you feel you are able to. Take care.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
*mumbles* would have been such a better payoff if you were preggers ...

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
Take care of yourself nz!:)
Obviously you can not bring that Galah home since it would be a bit hard for both of you..
Nevermind, maybe he is still there when things settle down for you!Good luck with the new gym!:D

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
NZ, you are in my thoughts and my best wishes are with you. Get well, be well and best to you! :60: (**tons of hugs**)

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Forums Rules:
1. Flames or Derogatory Insults:
Flames or derogatory insults are strictly against the rules. If you disagree with another member's point of view, do so in a mature and civil manner. If someone posts to discuss their personal problems or seek help from other forum members, please do not respond unless you have something positive or helpful to add. If you find yourself being flamed or insulted by another member, please do not dignify that person with a response. Notify a moderator and let us handle it. If you feel you must respond to a flame or insult directly, please do NOT do so on the board. Use private messages or e-mail.

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
I think Schools are good for socialization in general, But I would like to choose who my kids socialized with. I now have a single grandchild who is going to childcare for no other reason than to interact with other kids, and seems to just pick up bad habits (slapping, biting, head banging, tantrums) He is a big boy and I try and teach him to be gentle with everything, as he could simply overcome every kid in his age bracket if he went off the rails.

I wonder what it would be like if I could mould his mind exclusively, and just teach him the RedBalloon way of life. Oh the joy of having a mini-me.

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Sorry, Tex ... I'm with Kelli's deleted post on this one. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Most Reactions

Latest posts