Teaching a congo to step up, help!

Sarooi

Jul 22, 2016
Hello
I have a female congo who is around 3 years old, I've tried to train her with a stick but it frightens her :( and if I use my hand she just ignores it? what should I do??

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hello, have you seen this link http://www.parrotforums.com/training/60435-clicker-target-training.html?

If you choose to use your hand first make sure she is receptive to a little training. Use a firm "UP" command, if you are confident and assertive enough they usually do it without thinking. If she still will not, retreat for a moment, think through why not and if you cannot think of anything start again. Have treats handy if she obliges and give verbal praise. The UP command is done a bit like asking a dog to SIT in the early stages of training. Make sure you are relaxed and use direct, soft eye contact. Make direct friendly eye contact and push your hand into the lower belly gently, say the UP command and follow through with a continuous motion. Don't push or move too fast. Practice first with a stuffed toy to perfect it if you wish, getting the motion and the command in sink.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Bribery.

Works wonders. Just show her a favored treat and hold it just beyond reach of her beak so that she would need to step onto your hand to get it. Might take a while, depending on how apprehensive she is about your hand, but she'll get there. Once she steps onto your hand of her own volition to get to the treat, make sure to shower her with praise. Make it obvious that you're pleased with her, as though she's just done the most wonderful thing in the world.

The point is to build the association in her mind between being with you and good things happening. Eventually she'll grow more and more confident in being on you, and will be comfortable hanging out that way for longer and longer periods of time.

Here are some links that might help: http://www.parrotforums.com/training/57538-not-stepping-up-doesn-t-understand-stepping-up.html

http://www.parrotforums.com/training/48810-need-help-step-up-training.html#post435993

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I would first reward her for looking at you.

Reward her for moving her head towards you.

Reward her for taking a step towards you.

Reward her for taking several steps towards you.

Reward her for having her nail/toe touch your hand.

Reward her for having a foot on your hand.

Both feet? JACKPOT REWARD!!!!!!!!

Break the step up process down into little goals and repeat each one several times. If she decides to not comply, go back a step and repeat until she'll go to the next step.

greytness

Sep 11, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
3 CAGs, BHC, 2 duskie conures, Jardine's, Meyers, pineapple GCC, eclectus, miligold macaw, scarlet macaw, & Panama Amazon
Have you tried having her step up backwards? Put your arm behind her and say 'up'. Some birds would rather step backwards more than they would in the forward direction. Use treats as lures.

Most Reactions