The Perfect Vacation Cage for Conure?

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Hi.
Am taking Pritti ot grandma and grandpa for 4 weeks. He'll be sharing a room with me in a big house out in the country. It's a plane trip away, so I am trying to figure out what to do about a cage. What size would be the minimum size he could live in for that long. Since not my home, he'll be locked inside for sleeping and anytime I'm not in same room during the day, which will be up to 4 or 5 hours at a time.

I'll be taking cage out of bedroom during the day and the door will be open while indoors in rooms with windows and sunshine and nature views. If I bring him outdoors, he'll be on my shoulder on top of cage on patio or deck with me there. There are sometimes wild critters around, so I'm leary of having him outside too much.

Therefore, spending daily time locked in the cage is going to be a big adjustment to him, as he is rarely locked inside now, day or night since there's usually someone around. He only gets locked in when alone in the house.

I'm willing to buy a cage and have it delivered there ahead of time, but can'[t afford an extra big, fancy cage. What are your thoughts on size that would be comfortable for him? He's about 13" - 14" long, male, 30 years old and king of this castle we call home.

Thanks folks. I know that the best advice comes from people that live with and care for birds.

:green1:

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Crackers ~ a Green cheek conure , Cosmo~ a Timneh African Grey
I have an HQ flight cage that my Tag uses outside and it works really well. I put in different perches and bought some stainless steel bowls for it ( the ones that come with it are not very good) . But I would think something like that would be okay for your Conure .
It's easy to move around from room to room too.

HQ Flight Bird Cage - Presented by BirdsComfort.com

I think amazon has free shipping on it if I remember right : )

Last edited:

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
Cherry head don't need that big of a cage but I would sure get something for the flight that will be carry on and that you can cover if he get noisy. Where do Gran and Gramps live ? If there are alot of hawks I'd be really careful of taking him outside and this would be a perfect time for a new (wing clip) hair cut just to be sure nothing has snuck in feather wise. oh and be sure to bring some of his favorite toys from his home cage and maybe his best perch to put into the new cage nothing like a little home to help the adjustment.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
I agree with parrotmamma....that flight cage would be great. You have to remember he is not used to being caged up so as far as cost goes, the flight cage would be ideal at a reasonable cost.

OP
WannaBeAParrot

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
@ParrotMamma. That's the exact same cage I have at home for Pritti. He's had it for about 6 years. I've often wondered if it is big enough (deep enough) for him as a home. But he seems to be very content when he's in there. He is either on his sleeping perch next to his buddy high up in corner, or he is eating, or he is just hanging out on his swing. The only other time he seems to go in is to ring his bell to call me over. He's up top on the playpen, or sneaks down to the shelf underneath, or goes off campus altogether.

OP
WannaBeAParrot

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
Parrots

So I called a great bir shop around here and asked advice about what size they recommend. Said minimum size for the vacation cage should be 18" wide x 18" deep, by 30" high.

That sounds too narrow to me, 18 x 18. What do you folks think?

I found this chinchilla cage on amazon that I can have shipped directly there. Does anyone know about these kinds of cages. It looks like it will be good for a cherry-head sized conure without all the chinchilla stuff inside. I can put one of those elastic food catcher skirts around bottom.

Any thoughts?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Economical-Levels-Ferret-Chinchilla-Glider/dp/B004GASVAQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1344021835&sr=1-3&keywords=Mcage]New Large Economical 4 Levels Ferret Chinchilla Sugar Glider Rats Cage For Small Animal or Bird 30"Length x 18"Depth x 36"Height *Black*: Amazon.com: Pet Supplies[/ame]

OP
WannaBeAParrot

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
Parrots

My budget for a vacation cage tops out at around $100 including shipping.

I would love it if you could take a look at these and tell me what you think looks like it would work best. Help -- I'm a nervous mom that has never taken her birdie away from home except to the avian hotel (vet boarding).

The cage measures 18" x 19" x 25" high.
Small Bird BIRD CAGE ON STAND white Cockatiel Parakeet 18 X 19 X 53 spray guard | eBay
-----------------------
-----------------------

****This is my favorite because of the top that opens to a perch, but 20x20 seems kind of cramped around, doesn't it***
20L x 20D x 28.5H inches (With top Closed)
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/YML-20-Inch-Parrot-Stand-Black/dp/B0002A6VCY/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header]YML 20-Inch Open Top Parrot Cage with Stand, Black: Amazon.com: Pet Supplies[/ame]
-----------------------
-----------------------

!!!!!! This is the most roomy but is not as nice as the one above!!!!
30"Wide x 18"Deep x 36"Tall Flight breeder cage
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Large-cockatiel-sugar-glider-parakeet/dp/B004GB2U5M/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_29]Amazon.com: New Large Bird Cage cockatiel sugar glider finch parakeet 30"Wide x 18"Deep x 36"Tall *Black*: Pet Supplies[/ame]
-----------------------
-----------------------

18.2 x 36 x 18.2 inches
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ribbon-18-Inch-36-Inch-Granite/dp/B000FXVSRG/ref=sr_1_15?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1344018958&sr=1-15&keywords=bird+cage]Amazon.com: Blue Ribbon Extra Tall Square Style Roof Bird Cage, 18-Inch by 18-Inch by 36-Inch, White/Granite: Pet Supplies[/ame]
:green1:
Thanks.

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
I like the second one with the open top : )

OP
WannaBeAParrot

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
Parrots

Thanks parrotmamma. I like that one best of all too except the 20 x 20 seems too small. Today i read that 24 x 24 x 24 is smallest for conure. there are so many "experts" and very little consistency about what they say for size.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
I would say the open top 20 x 20. That would be best I think.

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
I think if you are going to be able to let them out some 20 x 20 would be fine. It's hard picking a cage for your baby especially if they are not use to being caged up . The 30 wide by 18 deep by 36 tall sounds roomier but it does not look as well made as the first one. But I am sure whichever you choose will be fine. You are a really good mommy and I am sure whatever you pick will be perfect for him.

Most Reactions