GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
The bird will not be going anywhere.

Meanwhile, Part 3 of 5 of the same baby Patagonian; this one also is from week 5.

Awwwwwwwwwwwww, see how this couple is bonding with the baby... and each other?
THIS man LOVES their Rickeybird.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruCPaZWUOiM"]Another video of 5 week old Squeak, my baby patagonian conur - YouTube[/ame]

Notice the horn-colored beak (black in adults) and also the dark irises (light grey-yellow in adults).

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The same baby Patagonian, this time at 7 weeks! Looking like a real Rickeybird now...

These juvenile screeches are pretty much like the Rickeybird's when I got him at 12 weeks... as his big-boy feathers came all the way in, he stopped them and began calling like the adults I see i wild flock videos.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbSmeTFL5_w"]Squeak, my baby patagonian conure at 7 weeks, 4 days old - YouTube[/ame]

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
They're cousins, after all!

No telling what that baby is saying... could be "run for your life; they're killing conures!"

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
And now, the last of the videos of that baby Patagonian... close to 8 weeks here. I couldn't find any more videos of him. Hopefully, his new parronts just got used to having him around... this last vid was in 2008. Hopefully, Squeak is a happy, healthy eight year old somewhere.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=929NXFlTC-g"]Squeak, my baby patagonian conure at 7 weeks, 4 days old - YouTube[/ame]

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
MAYDAY??????? Great name...
Will search.
Thanks for all your support, CC.
By the way, how did the EB get named "Early"? I sense there's a story there...

CherylCali

Jun 22, 2016
Victoria, Texas
Parrots
Early Bird Green Cheek Conure
Hatch Date 3-2016
I really wanted a single syllable name, but she was a birthday gift from my husband. We had to go to Houston to get her and we went earlier than my birthday. He picked the name, and honestly he could have named her anything, I was in a bird FRENZY.
We do joke that she is the character Early from the movie 'Kalifornia'

CherylCali

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybrd named himself. While in the bird shop, he imitated a macaw whose name was Rickey, learned to say HELLO RICKEY. I wasn't sure if he'd ever learn more words, so I played it safe and went with Rickey. Now, 30 years and many words later, I wish I'd named him something else, but like you, I had bird fever and didn't care much!

The fireplace story.
My ol' man was cleaning out the fireplace one day. He was kneeling and sweeping/swiping, grumbling, too. I was not thinking and allowed the Rickeybird to stay out, with a big, gaping, alluring burrow-looking enclosure (the fireplace). Patagonians nest in burrows they dig in limestone cliffs; they love burrows. At one point, hubbby leaned way in to the fireplace, and the Rickeybird could contain himself no longer. He flew to claim his rightful nest, skimmed hubby's head/hair and landing right in the middle of the ashes and coals, flapping and snapping and hopping. Debris flew out and everywhere like bats out of a cave. Hubby made a wise retreat. I was over there instantly, trying to grab the bird, who took off, flying over furniture, over drapes, hopping along window sills, up again, around in circles, dumping ashes and charcoal clumps everywhere throughout living room and dining room, finally landing on my head. He flew for a good ten minutes. By that time, he was actually pretty clean. He agreed to a long bath, and didn't suffer any ill effects. My ol' man and I were cleaning ashes and dust and little four-toed foot prints for hours after that.
And that's the fireplace story.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Oh Gail, your fireplace story is hysterical!
We had something like that happen years ago with one of my cats. I had just cleaned all our carpets with a rented carpet cleaner and had just returned the machine. My cat, Shrimple, somehow got the hook caught on his collar on a planter I had just watered and set in the kitchen floor while watering the others, and he took off through the house slinging the wet dirt everywhere. Before I could get to him he had smashed the plastic planter into the walls and mud was everywhere...walls, carpets, Shrimple.

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
And I know you were just like me... my first anxious question to the animal... "ARE YOU OKAY???"

My ol' man was just standing there with white eyesockets peeking put from a black sooty face... I was never really able to decipher his expression. That might be a good thing!

CherylCali

Jun 22, 2016
Victoria, Texas
Parrots
Hatch Date 3-2016
Cracking me up, home alone just laughing like a loon.๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

I'm a working artist. When we're just sitting around she is the most docile calm bird. When I try to paint she becomes full tilt, like electrified. Today was no different, my little helper EarlyBird was being a full blown toddler. She wouldn't stay with me - jumping on everything, ripping pieces of wood off of my projects, trying to lick wet paint, in the many times of trying to get her to step up, she took off running walked through my pallet (non toxic acrylics) gobbed her tail up really good and painted a few things while running.

She had to get a tail scrub โ˜บ which she didnt like one little bit. When we were done she sat on my shoulder and screamed at me 3 times. It's funny because shes eerily quiet, like are you really a conure quiet.

Yesterday I returned some books from the art leagues library and low and 'be-holed' my little helper had notched one cover up real good and taken a good poo on the other. So embarrassing ๐Ÿ˜‚

I've mentioned before how she poops on my sons hand on purpose, he came over to paint with me one day. Four people were sitting painting and she walked onto his painting and pooped ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

CherylCali

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Since retiring, I have been able to pursue my artwork, selling on ebay. Along with the Rbird's "textile masterpieces". He, like the EB, has ascertained that canvasses and paints are central to my interests, and therefore to be conquered/demolished/vanquished at every opportunity. *sigh*

Ya know, I think as human beings mature, we forget what a powerful weapon poop is.
Parrots REMEMBER.

CherylCali

Jun 22, 2016
Victoria, Texas
Parrots
Hatch Date 3-2016
In polite society it just isn't fitting for me to poo on the things I'm dissatisfied with ๐Ÿ˜‚ maybe when I'm older ...life goals. Maybe I'll poo on EB's water bowl...

I'm going to look on Ebay

CherylCali

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
CherylCali... YES, the big difference betwixt us and THEM is that WE KNOW THE MEANING OF SHAME!!!!!

LeaK... awesome to know the Rickeybird has a follower in Malawi, called "the warm heart of Africa", from what I have read.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
CherylCali... YES, the big difference betwixt us and THEM is that WE KNOW THE MEANING OF SHAME!!!!!

LeaK... awesome to know the Rickeybird has a follower in Malawi, called "the warm heart of Africa", from what I have read.

Yes! That is the official saying, Malawians are incredibly friendly. However, these wonderful people are being subjected to extreme drought and famine. There's great insecurity this year for food and water. World Food Program is sending aid but it's not enough.

Environmentally it's a strain on the wildlife. You can imagine what the animals go through to get to water.

A very difficult situation, but we keep trying!

Nigel is such a great friend to come home to when working. I love learning from you all from so far away.

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
LeahKP and Nigel...

I was aware of some of those problems in that area, but I'm sure I can't even begin to understand the enormity of it. I ran across the music of your Ray Phiri a while back (what a voice), and that got me to read about your land. The beaches and mountains are so beautiful... Chipamila Village stuck in my mind, too. It's very precious to me to "meet" you!
I'm glad you have Nigel... nothing like a parrot to help you shake the day off.

Most Reactions