The Toxicity of Plastic

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
Hey everyone. I thought I should talk to you today about the danger of using plastic. Although plastic is generally considered "safe" by the FDA and whatnot, it's not, especially not for sensitive critters like birds, crustaceans, rodents, etc. Even the safest plastics leach harmful chemicals. In my opinion, and the opinion of many scientists and doctors, plastic should not be used to contain foods or liquids. In fact, plastic shouldn't really be used for anything.

Even if a plastic is BPA-, phthalate-, or PVC-free, there's a very good chance that it still leaches harmful chemicals. The chemicals that experts are greatly concerned about are known as endocrine disrupters. These nasty chemicals are on/in receipts, food cans, furniture, non-organic foods, lotions, feminine hygiene products, baby toys, Tupperware, water bottles, baby bottles, and the air, just to name a few common sources.

These endocrine disrupters are responsible for birth defects, infertility, increased risk of cancer, immune system problems, neurological problems, and obesity. While many people blame unhealthy foods and inactivity for our obesity epidemic, many experts are just now examining how endocrine disrupting chemicals (EDCs) are affecting our bodies.

When BPA and other EDCs were first being studied by the FDA and other regulatory agencies as to their safety, they found that only very high amounts of said chemicals caused death in laboratory animals. However, these reports failed to mention the incredible increase in body weight of individuals given doses that were less than 1000 times smaller than what the FDA had deemed "safe". At extremely low doses (even less than the amount found in most products), the rats' bodies were unable to recognize the harmful chemicals, allowing them to bind with their hormone receptors. At high doses, the body recognizes the danger and shuts down its hormone receptors.

Even if an individual, from the time they were born, lived in the wilderness, away from all pesticides, plastics, manufactured items, etc., there's a good chance they too will suffer from the effects of EDCs. How? Well, if their mother was exposed to EDCs at any point during pregnancy, that means the fetus absorbed these chemicals.

So, what should we do? For starters, our birds (and other animals...and humans) should only be provided food and water in stainless steel or glass dishes. Containers used to store their food should be made of either stainless steel or glass. Furthermore, we should only buy organic foods for our birds. We need to be very mindful of the cleaners we use in our homes. Additionally, many experts recommend the use of HEPA filters to remove harmful chemicals from the air, and recommend frequent vacuuming and dusting. When cooking for our birds, we should use wooden cutting boards, wooden or stainless steel spoons, stainless steel or ceramic cookware (avoid non-stick), and use properly filtered water. Municipal water is typically unsafe (chlorine, fluoride, oral contraceptives, etc.), so I'd recommend investing in a good quality reverse osmosis system. Additionally, I'd recommend all personal products (shampoo, lotion, cosmetics, soap, deodorants, etc.) be replaced with fragrance-free, endocrine disrupting chemical-free, zinc-free, and ecofriendly products. Also, we need to use safe detergents, and avoid using fabric softeners and dryer sheets. There's these wool dryer balls that Mom bought, and they are far safer to use than fabric softener or dryer sheets. Plus, these wool dryer balls are reusable and they work quite well.

I'd recommend watching "A Plastic Ocean" (can be watched on Netflix) to learn more about the impact of plastic on our health and the environment. It's quite sad and depressing, but I really encourage everyone to watch it. Just close your eyes at the upsetting parts. I'd also recommend watching "Chasing Coral". While it has nothing to do with plastic, it does relate to the ocean.

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
A cockatiel, a bourke, and three budgies
After I read this I imediantly replaced what I stored my birds food in.

But I don't see me replacing my personal products anytime soon. There is no way I'm replacing my color-safe shampoo and conditioner.

Sent from my Galaxy s8

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
After I read this I imediantly replaced what I stored my birds food in.

But I don't see me replacing my personal products anytime soon. There is no way I'm replacing my color-safe shampoo and conditioner.

Sent from my Galaxy s8

Hmmm, if you knew what it was doing to your hair, then maybe? Ever noticed all the regrowth products now targeted toward Females?

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well presented Topic with much to consider.

I fully understand where you are going with the Topic and the many concerns that you present are valid.

That said, much of the Science is still catching-up and the studies have a cross-section of funding sources, some well respected and sadly, some questionable. As this area of research attracks more respected funding sources and also researchers, a greater understanding of just how deep /dangerous the problem is will support the good research already done!

I believe that it is very important to understand just how we got to this point! As you references the movie ""A Plastic Ocean" provides a clear indication of the vastness of the problem. What is does not well disclose, maybe better stated slims over is why there is so much plastic mixed into our food chain! The intense push by special interest groups 30 years ago to 'Save the Forests, the Lands, etc... pushed suppliers to find other options. You may recall the Paper Bag that was replaced in huge volumes by the plastic store bag. There was huge push back, but the special interest groups would not give-up forcing an unwilling public to accept carrying all those plastic bags home and then trashing them.

Not all, but most of the plastic container products today had paper fore-runners. A safer, renewable, recyclable product that breaks down in water and over many years in the ground.

Please understand that I fully support your presentation of this concern.

As my Parrot Forum name implies I do and have Sailed for a very long time and have seen the effect as the many plastic products had been forced into the market place by special interest groups! Forty years ago, what was found in the middle of large bodies of water was wood or wood products, today there are floating islands of plastic. Along the highways of years past was paper and metal products, which with time began to breakdown. Today, the road edge is defined by tons of plastic products.

Step Two: How do we get back to safer, renewable, recyclable products? And more seriously, will those who pushed us to use all of this plastic admit to their errors? That is highly unlikely, as the unwashed masses just may figure-out their games of the past and current money grabs.

Again, Thank-You for this Thread!

Last edited:
OP
Teddscau

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
I'm glad you guys found my post informative! Good points you bring up, SailBoat! As a child of the 90s, I don't know a whole lot about the tree hugger movement (more specifically, the movement with granola-eaters and tie-dyed clothes). But the push for plastic makes sense. People probably thought, "Hey, this stuff lasts forever! We can use it again and again. Plus, no trees are killed!" I've grown up with nothing but plastic packaging, so the idea of using paper bags, etc., seems strange to me. It's like trying to imagine a world without indoor plumbing. Then again, my parents grew up in the time period before food poisoning was invented (nobody used ice packs, even for lunches with highly perishable food).

Yesterday I was at Costco, and they had an 18-piece Glasslock set for sale. I'd never seen a glass "Tupperware" set before, so I was super excited. I can't wait to use them when I make a fresh batch of mash later this week!

http://www.endocrine.org/-/media/en...duction-to-endocrine-disrupting-chemicals.pdf

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The technical depth of this Thread may require several reads to grasp the importances of the Topic. Add that to the extent that Petrochemical products have filtrated near all parts of our existence and eliminating it from our life is near impossible. To a very real level, modern life is near impossible without Plastic.

Where we are today has taken a bit more than 100 years. To roll it back out could take twice that, if not longer.

Avoiding contact and intake of liquids infused with petrochemical products is a great place to start as the transfer is much greater than with hard surfaced products at room temperature and above.

Sorry, did not see your Post until I Posted my comments here! That said, you are correct - it will be more difficult to move away from Plastic than it was Wood based products.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts