May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Look at how butchered this poor budgie's wings are... I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
are you sure it's the rescue that did it and not the people who had the bird previously?

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
are you sure it's the rescue that did it and not the people who had the bird previously?
Looking into it, it looks like the other budgies are flighted. I wasn't sure when I made this post, though. Whoever did that to the poor budgie is a horrible person...

WoopWoop

Feb 27, 2023
Victoria, Australia
Parrots
Budgerigars
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Galah
Look at how butchered this poor budgie's wings are... I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it.

On the left is Munchkin, a victim of a similar chop job. He was being cared for out the back of the pet shop (the supplier was at fault and not her first victim) he was very poorly (as was the boy on the right name of Luna also at this shop). Bless them they gave them to us for free, vet care cost plenty. Munchkin had effectively been pinioned and will never fly. We got him through and he’s happy with a loving partner in a suitable flight cage with ladders and bubble wrap padding under the newspaper for his crash landings! Luna got flight feathers back and zooms about the bird room.

Attachments

• EA8BBA9A-3275-498B-B8AF-6DF12276CBF6.jpeg
    EA8BBA9A-3275-498B-B8AF-6DF12276CBF6.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 83F248A9-1E26-45FA-90AA-C42432BFC534.jpeg
    83F248A9-1E26-45FA-90AA-C42432BFC534.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 27

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
On the left is Munchkin, a victim of a similar chop job. He was being cared for out the back of the pet shop (the supplier was at fault and not her first victim) he was very poorly (as was the boy on the right name of Luna also at this shop). Bless them they gave them to us for free, vet care cost plenty. Munchkin had effectively been pinioned and will never fly. We got him through and he’s happy with a loving partner in a suitable flight cage with ladders and bubble wrap padding under the newspaper for his crash landings! Luna got flight feathers back and zooms about the bird room.
Poor Munchkin (love the name)! It must have been so painful to have his wings butchered like that- it makes me cry just to think about it 😭! THANK YOU for giving him a wonderful forever home where no one will ever hurt him again.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I have a quick unrelated question I hope people will answer for me. I know how important it is to spend lots of time with your parrots from little budgies up to the biggest macaws, but does this time need to be "out of cage" time? Does it count to spend time in the same room close by to were your bird's cage while they are inside the cage? I can't let my birds out of their cages for more than a couple hours a day because they must be closely supervised and I dont want them flying around while I'm trying to cook dinner or while we are eating because my budgie Rocky in particular insists on investigating everything I'm doing and its not safe when I'm cooking and very annoying when we are trying to eat dinner (he walks on our food). His cage sits on the dining table where we spend most of our time hanging out or having meals so he is very close by. I also talk to my budgies a lot, and sing and dance to entertain them. I'm thinking that what's really harmful is keeping birds in a closed room where you seldom spend any time. I'd love to hear lots of opinions about this. Please advise. Thanks.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
What a hack job! Poor thing. You should rescue him!
I have too much budgie already LOL, plus I'm considering adding a new species in the fall this year (not saying yet, but you're welcome to guess). I'm sure he'll go to a good home, and anyway, I don't think seeing the others fly constantly would be very nice for him since that clip is going to take forever to grow out.
I have a quick unrelated question I hope people will answer for me. I know how important it is to spend lots of time with your parrots from little budgies up to the biggest macaws, but does this time need to be "out of cage" time?
Mine get "out of cage" time 12/7, then go in their sleeping cages for night. I have modified my room to be... not super-safe, but they also stay on their perches and swings and don't get into too much trouble. So it works out for me. I've had this system for over 2 years, and I can confidently say: It's not for everyone, but it's definitely good for my flock, and they are very happy, active, and tame. Mine also get recall sessions in my living room (the area is about 8x the area of my room) multiple times a day, so they can fly more and be physically healthy. Not all time needs to be "out of cage" time, but it's not very hard to make your home (at least a room) budgie-proof, and "out of cage" time is better since they can exercise more.
Does it count to spend time in the same room close by to were your bird's cage while they are inside the cage?
As quality time? Yes, but they should still be out as much as possible.
I'm thinking that what's really harmful is keeping birds in a closed room where you seldom spend any time.
I'd agree, however, there is a saying in the parrot community "It's not about how much time you spend with them, it's about the quality of that time". I have school most weekdays, and that means the budgies are alone in my room for 8 hours or so, maybe more. But they have each other, the radio, and enrichment, and they know when I come home, we'll have tons of quality time together. It's more important that you spend time doing things with your bird. Being in the same room is not quality time unless you're engaging with the bird.
His cage sits on the dining table where we spend most of our time hanging out or having meals
I wouldn't suggest this AT ALL!!! There is a very real risk of poop dust or bird dander getting in your food, which could be very harmful.

WoopWoop

Feb 27, 2023
Victoria, Australia
Parrots
Budgerigars
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Galah
I have a quick unrelated question I hope people will answer for me. I know how important it is to spend lots of time with your parrots from little budgies up to the biggest macaws, but does this time need to be "out of cage" time? Does it count to spend time in the same room close by to were your bird's cage while they are inside the cage? I can't let my birds out of their cages for more than a couple hours a day because they must be closely supervised and I dont want them flying around while I'm trying to cook dinner or while we are eating because my budgie Rocky in particular insists on investigating everything I'm doing and its not safe when I'm cooking and very annoying when we are trying to eat dinner (he walks on our food). His cage sits on the dining table where we spend most of our time hanging out or having meals so he is very close by. I also talk to my budgies a lot, and sing and dance to entertain them. I'm thinking that what's really harmful is keeping birds in a closed room where you seldom spend any time. I'd love to hear lots of opinions about this. Please advise. Thanks.
We are fortunate to have a spare room with a moppable floor and dual aspect windows with bird proof screens so fresh air and lots of free flight time. Some little darlings wait by open cage doors to be lifted out to enjoy flight, bath fountains, extra greenery. Have viva lite globes in the lighting for UVA / UVB. We have a table and chairs in situ and join the little hooligans (budgies) to fight over possession of our reading materials, cups of tea and digestive biscuits, we find millett sprays don’t go well with tea, although the budgies might disagree!

Chopper the Galah gets out of cage time for the evening and lurks, usually with evil intent on the back of the lounge. Oliver the cockatoo is harness trained, has his own seat in the car and goes to the park every day where we walk the long suffering and bird tolerant dog and play β€œfrisbird”

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts