Transient Cawing and Naptime

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
What is a typical daily nap schedule for an ~6 year old and how would you quantify daily activity level for a healthy, well adjusted bird?

Also, I've only seen this when Mango is napping, he will wake abruptly and bring his head around to nibble at his foot (not sure which one or if the same) while issuing some light to moderate grumbling caw like he's irritated about something.

Is there anything that could cause a transient pain or could it be a recurring dream instigated by some unpleasant memory? He does have a straight toe that I suspect got bent backward at some time in his life, so he can't curl it. It looks fine otherwise, but that is why I mentioned I haven't noticed if he gives attention to a particular foot.

I've never seen it when he's awake, but of course if I'm seeing him awake, he is surely looking at me looking at him. It only happens when he seems to be in deep sleep, but periodically like every few days I'd notice it, and it comes and goes quick.

OP
ctwo

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
They have a couple of dowels, about 1/2 inch but vary in size because I made them from pine board. Also 3/4" PVC that has been softened and squeezed into various lumpyness. Some are at various angles. He does it when napping on my shoulder as well.

The cockatiel with him had small red sores on his feet that have cleared up since I've gotten him.

Most Reactions

Latest posts