trick Training Freddie

SharonC

May 26, 2010
I started trick training Fred two days ago. He's had four ten-fifteen minute sessions. He's learned High Five, Wings Up, Whistle at the Girls(wolf whistle), and to give me a kiss on command. He's not 100% perfect and sometimes confuses the High Five with the Wings Up but he's at least 70% on! I'm so impressed with this bird!!!

Pheonix Rising

Oct 9, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix-Alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010
mikki- barrarand x king parrot
21yrs young ;)
Yay that's awesome
I love the whistle at the girls idea that's cute

What age can I start clicker and trick training ???

Birdieboy

Jul 15, 2010
Virginia
Parrots
Two parakeets. Kindle and Charlie
I know I am not the smartest when it comes to bird knowledge. But when it comes to bird training I am your guy. There really is no age that you should start clicker training or trick training. They can start clicker training as soon as they can eat seeds/solid food. In order to trick train though you should clicker train your bird. That is the first step.

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
I've not clicker trained Fred. He's very nervous about new things, so I expect he'd be afraid of the clicker. Verbal praise is what I'm using and then a treat. I think it's wise to be sure the bird trusts you, before attemting to trick train.

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
AW! Congrats to you Sharon and Freddie!!! :) I would love to see a video of his new tricks *hint hint* ;)

Verbal praise is a great way to train, There are so many different methods so whatever works for you and your fid is the way to go :) I even know people who make a sound with their mouth as a substitute for the clicker.

Pheonix Rising

Oct 9, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix-Alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010
mikki- barrarand x king parrot
21yrs young ;)
Pheonix is not fully weaned yet and is not quite at the stage where he will take food from my hand and actually eat it
it still takes alot to get his attention for much more than a minute so I don't think he is ready yet

What does he need to be capable of ability wise before I start with him ?

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
PR, I'm not sure but I would think he'll need to be fully weaned, comfortable with your hand, and he'll also need to trust you.

Birdieboy

Jul 15, 2010
Virginia
Parrots
Two parakeets. Kindle and Charlie
Sharon is right. Trust is the biggest issue. If your parrot does not trust you even clicker training is hard. Also Sharon verbal praise is a great way to train. I train my parrots using verbal praise. My birds were scared off the noise of the clicker. You just have to make sure that you make the same sound/word the same way timing and noise level. If you don't they will get confused and then you will have to work harder so they are on the same page as you.

Last edited:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Well done Sharon, great going keep up the good work. Make sure to get him on a vid okay
Verbal praise is the way Mishka has learnt. I seldom ever use treats.
When I tried clicker training with Mishka, and clicked the clicker she kept saying
the clock is ticking tic toc tic toc

Most Reactions

Latest posts