Velcro bird accomished!! ....er, now what?

Ladyeclectic

Oct 6, 2010
Central California
Parrots
Green-cheek Conure "Mishka" - Sun conure "Calypso"
Remember how I complained and moped that Mishka would never let me touch her?

Dang but that changed almost overnight! Now she doesn't want me out of her sight! Right now she's trying to figure out how to preen hair as long as mine which I find adorable (yes I'm letting her stay on my shoulder, so far she's been nothing short of sweetness itself).

But, well.... Now what?

She steps up on command and also does Step Down (when she feels like it lol) but I don't know what to do next. I've started showing her common household things one at a time while she's perched on me, but what else do I need to work with her on? She's still a bit shy abouthands and I'm working on that one too; mainly it's just whole hands coming from behind she's nervous about, a single finger to stroke, give skritches or step onto is okay.

Bogo1, Von, everyone else who told me this would happen: WOOHOO!!!!! She won't stay off the top of my head (she's there now preening me, I need to take her down once I finish this post) and wants to be with me all the time. So, what should I do?

Lol if this post sounds whiney it's SO not, I'm loving this new aspect of our relationship! :D Can't stop grinning from ear to ear. :p I'd just rather she not get bored (so far it seems hanging with me and preening are perfectly fine with her, and with me).

I just needed to share this with people who would understand. THANK YOU for all your help in getting me here!!!!! :cool: :cool:

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
You sure have come a long way in short time Sarah, congratulations!, I would just keep working on the trust and bonding for now, it seems your well on your way :)

Pheonix Rising

Oct 9, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix-Alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010
mikki- barrarand x king parrot
21yrs young ;)
Yay that's great news !
Trick training is always fun but only once she and you are both ready

Good luck And well done on accomplishments to date

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
YAY!!!! :D:D:D:D:D CONGRATULATIONS!

Magical times!

She will not get bored! What I would suggest is preening her back gently with scritches, practice so you can gently pull out her wings etc and she'll let you touch her all over. (This is once you can stroke her neck and head) As they get older, this type of thing can promote sexual feelings lol, so I figured if I did it with Cal now, I can always touch her wherever if *touch wood not* there is any sort of emergency/injury.

With games etc, you know those little cat balls with the bell inside? (supervised play only) Cal likes to carry them from one hand to another and fly to Dave with it and give it to him etc. Just a small fun game!

I'm currently teaching her others which is fun but will be a long process as she's flighted!

SO happy for you!

OP
Ladyeclectic

Ladyeclectic

Oct 6, 2010
Central California
Parrots
Green-cheek Conure "Mishka" - Sun conure "Calypso"
LOL yeah I'm geeking out here. :D Spent most of yesterday just hanging out with her above my shoulder while I played a video game (she seemed very interested with my controller, whether because it was colorful or taking up all the skritches, I'll never know); she seemed content up there but got the travel bug once in a while (mommy's girl!). I need to get her a decent play gym so she can have something to do while she's out of the cage and we're busy, but none of the ones at the local stores are more than sticks thrown together or too plain.

I did get her a "rattle" this weekend; right now it's sitting at the bottom of her cage so she can get used to it. She was kicking it around the first day I got it but doesn't like when others jingle it. Very cute to watch though.

I'm so excited though! She's still handshy unless it's a proffered finger, but she doesn't do more than skitter away and cower a bit (which still breaks my heart). Still, she's a demanding little thing: if she wants out of the cage she isn't afraid to tell you so.

Guess the "honeymoon" phase is over. ;) Or, it's just beginning, which is my opinion on the matter. Still, if there's anything else I "should" be doing other than hanging out, I'd love to know.

I don't even mind the poop any more. Guess that means I'm on the way to parronthood. ;) :p

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts