Umberella cockatoo

Hayemb

Jan 15, 2022
Parrots
Umberella cockatoo
I have take in a rescue and he keeps trying to fly and attack my 3 year old child my son doesn’t really have much dealing with the parrot so I’m concerned if anyone has any advice I can post a video

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello welcome to the forum. Thanks fir taking in a rescue.
Have you had parrots before?

I'm not experienced with this species.

But what I would do is re introduce your child to the bird. Go ahead and say out loud thus your baby and you want and expect good behavior. I feel that something gets across to them when we explain things.

Then I try to link postive reinforcement. When ever the burd us calm and good insight of your baby lots if treats and praise.

I wish I had more and better advice. Hopefully our great members will.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The process of bring a Rescue into you home is to understand that they have likely been Abused /Miss-treated and lack Trust in Humans. In addition, they may have developed a bond with you as they have seen and become comfortable with you prior to coming to your home, and with the more recent introduction of your child, it is possible that your child is the odd-one out from a relationship.

One of the huge errors that most Human's make is not working at the rate of the Parrot. Slow-down and move at the rate of your Parrot.

Remember that children tend to be very rapid in their movement and can catch the Parrot off-guard.

Biggest thing, Slow Down!
Reduce your expectations to Zero.

And, yes, thank-you for bringing a Rescue into your home.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
With an umbrella, I personally would recommend limiting out of cage time WITH the child until the bird has had plenty of time to hear the child's voice and acclimate to them (like SailBoat said, slow movements, avoiding sudden noises etc). Is it possible to keep the child out of the room when your cockatoo is roaming? Umbrellas are more likely than a lot of other species to just take off and attack someone, and I'd hate to hear of your kid getting a nasty bite. Someone else might have a different suggestion, but that's at least my take.

A lot of animals aren't big fans of kids. It's a tough situation you're in, because it's also a big ask to expect a child to slow down and quiet down and have the patience to stay that way patiently until a bird comes around to them.

Edit, that said congrats for rescuing! Umbrellas are one of my favorite species of bird, even if they can be a bit intimidating and possessive. I'm counting the days until I can rescue one myself. Good luck, whatever you choose to do!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Respect for adopting a rescue Umbrella, one of the most re-homed species! Superb advice above, please use considerable restraint with your three year old as Umbrellas can inflict serious injury without malice.

Most Reactions