Valentino update

OP
noblemacaw

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
At this time I am considering taking a part time job at Menards. For those that don't know what Menards is the store is like a huge home improvement store like Lowes or Home Despot. In the spring they will open their garden center and have a crapload of plants. This should be wonderful for my asthma but I am hoping the plants (flowering annuals which I never had problems with before, bushes, trees, all sorts of outdoor plants) will not affect my asthma. It is the dust I am worried about as they have a crapload of lumber and that could be very dusty for me.

The store is just down the street from me very close to my home. That could be an advantage but I also need the employer to be flexiable enough so I can make my doctors and other appointments at the VA. I know that is a lot to ask for but I am hoping if I can give enough notice they can block that time not to schedule me to work. I figure I can bring in something, even though it is not going to be much to help out paying some of the bills to relieve some of the pressure off of my Ex while I look for a full time job in my field.

I am also going to unload a lot of my things at our city wide garage sale. I need to get out my stuff from the storage unit, borrow tables, get it set up after my Ex cleans out the garage and hopefully I can get help with setting it up. This should earn me some extra cash so I don't have to ask my Ex to buy personal items and can invest in better clothing. I am also researching any organizations that donate clothing for job interviews for the disadvantaged. Unfortunately "Dress for Sucess" (which help women) does not have any locations in my state. Sure, they have three locations in Wisconsin but none here. How odd.

Anyway I spend quite a bit of time on the internet researching and learning how the "system" works for people like myself. I have never been in this situation before so I do not understand what needs to be done or what services I can use and where I can get help for things. I know it is time to put my pride aside and get the help. I don't think I ever have been this low in my life. I think it will take a near miracle to get up with where I am at in this time in my life. Never in a million years I thought I would be where I am today. It goes to show you nothing is ever secure as your life can go down the toilet very quickly with little effort at all. I work very hard to remain positive and overcome my issues that can set me back. I just can't afford to fail at all because if I do I will become homeless.

As for an update. When I am with Valentino I try to put my stress aside and enjoy the company of my freaky loving parrot that takes two hands to hold his plumpy body. I know he can feel the stress around him but before I take him out I will do some deep breathing and center myself so I can have a positive experience with him and he can continue to trust me and enjoy my company. I have noticed he has taken on the roll of taking care of me because he is always wanting to be with me and he wants to feed me. Yuck. I nodded off the other evening (not sleeping well) and he regurgitated some yummy pellet mixed with water making a nice liquid type food and proceeded to wipe it all over my cheek. I quickly woke up and thought WTF? I wonder if he feels the need to feed me because I no longer eat dinner. I use to share my dinner with him and now I am not doing that anymore.

Next week I am attending that Boot Camp for Job seekers at my local Workforce center. Its 4 days long from 9am to 4pm and seems to include a lot of things I need to know about. Most importantly I hope to be able to network and revamp my resume. Although it is very impressive I want it to be updated to what ever format is acceptable at this time in this job market. I need to learn what I am doing wrong when job seeking and understand what changes I can make to successfully land a job in my field.

I got a tip Comcast and CenturyLink are hiring. Sure I can do technical phone support and getting a entry level job in these two companies would get a foot in the door for me to be able to move up to a job more my skill level. Unfortunatly their web sites are not listing the jobs so I need to figure out a way to find the jobs needed that are not advertised. Maybe the Workforce center has the information? Ummm.

For the first time in a while I do feel positive that I can work out what is needed to be able to afford to keep my home myself. I am willing to do what is necessary for that to happen and for me to be able to keep my Valentino with me.

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Simba (Blue & Gold Macaw); Cosmo (Blue Quaker); Blue (Blue IRN); Mattie (Green Quaker)
Keeping you in my prayers that you can get through all this and keep Valentino.
As far as Comcast...call 1-800-comcast. Worth a shot...

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Sending good thoughts out your way.

Remember job hunting is a numbers game, apply everywhere even for jobs that you don't think your fully qualified for. Sometimes you just might be surprised.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back