Very proud Dad.!

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
My oldest son received his official acceptance letter on Friday. In September, assuming universities re-open, my son will be going to Christ College, Cambridge University (in the same college Charles Darwin studied!) in order to achieve his PhD :) He is studying cell biology and has been tasked to work on Malaria. I hope there is enough PPE left for him :)

I'm so so proud, he has worked tirelessly through out his schooling life, during holidays he has travelled across Europe spending his breaks in other universities learning various skills for his future. He is hoping to work in 'the Crick' when he completes his PhD.

Christ College. [ame="https://youtu.be/qLloNbxWoN0"]YouTube[/ame]
Francis Crick [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avZAefORGY8"]This is the Crick - YouTube[/ame]

He couldn't complete his PhD at the Crick as if you learn there, you cant work there. He did however spend his summer holidays there last year to research further for his Masters degree, but thats ok, that wont stop him working there in a few years.

so proud, i had to share.

Last edited:

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Oh! That's just wonderful news! WHAT an achievement! Please give my very best regards to your son and tell him an old bird in Australia is very impressed by his work ethic. Congratulations to you too for raising such a self-motivated and self-sufficient young man. :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Congratulations to you and your son on a stunning achievement. (it is a team effort!)

Science is so under respected these days. I am sure he will facilitate or spark amazing accomplishments.

OP
B

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
Congratulations to you and your son on a stunning achievement. (it is a team effort!)

Science is so under respected these days. I am sure he will facilitate or spark amazing accomplishments.

Thank you, but somethings he tells me about how science is improving so fast and so much for the better, I think the results and respect can only improve..
An example of which is, Alex was working on some images he captured during his work (cell proteins and how cells change to do a particular task) and he had to physically search out particular things and mark them on the image. He then had to look at findings and analyse them. So he knew what he was looking for and he knew what to do with the data, its just time consuming, and this is at masters university degree level. In Cambridge (and at the Crick), he will have teams of mathematicians, programmers and engineers that he can call upon to do all of the code and analysis for him and if an appliance or tool is needed but doesn't exist, the engineering team will help create for him.
With that level of support, scientific improvements can only accelerate as long as the minds are there of course.

I'm far from stupid, but this stuff blows my mind with not only the capabilities but also how science seems to be a huge team, a global team in fact.

Most Reactions