Very restless conure.

Hambone

Mar 14, 2021
I just got a new GCC named Connie. He's about 3 months old and I've only had him a couple weeks. I have a Pacific Parrotlet as well who is fairly independent which is why I'm having some trouble with Connie. When I put him in his cage during daylight hours he climbs all over the bars of his cage on the side closest to me trying to reach me and will not calm down until I open his cage and let him out. I'm not sure how to modify this behavior or if it will regulate on its own if I don't give in to him. Any advice is welcome.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Welcome - your post made me smile. You should feel honoured this little ball of feathers wants to be your friend. Conures are flock birds and I guess he already recognises you as his flock. He is still a baby and perhaps you have one that really loves contact. Mine is over just over 4yrs now but I remember those halcyon days when he was little and all he wanted was company. Once through the evil puberty time he has reverted to being happiest on my shoulder and will sit there for hours while I do my thing, climbing down only to relieve himself in a designated area.
Of course parrots are very adept at training their parronts too but I think you are extremely lucky that this little one is not running away and avoiding you out of fear. Make the most of it, allow time together but of course there must be times when cage is safer or essential. Make sure he has plenty of interesting toys to make cage time fun.

Last edited:
OP
H

Hambone

Mar 14, 2021
Don't get me wrong, I love how much he wants to spend time with me. My only issue is I work nights and sleep part of the day so I need him to self-entertain after I put him back in the morning until I get up in the afternoon to play. Other than this minor issue he's a very well behaved bird so far.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Oh well in that case I guess he just needs to learn your routine. I admit that Syd closes his eyes when I do if I have a nap. No doubt he will settle down as he gets used to you.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Make sure you are still keeping him on a normal light/dark cycle even if yours is not. You only want to keep him covered or in the dark for 10-12 hours each night.

How many hours does he get out of his cage daily?
Also, what are cage dimensions?

You can post a picture by clicking your profile name in blue (upper right corner). After you click is, look to the collumn on the right side of the screen and under "friends" you will see "albums". Click "show all albums", then scroll the the very bottom and it will say "add album". Give a title and description (optional) and hit submit. From there, you will upload images from your computer and they will be saved to your album.
To insert an album image into a post, you will open the specific image in your album. Under the image, there are 2 urls: 1 says picture url and the other says bb code. Copy the picture url.

Go to your message box and hit the icon above the message box that has the sun and the mountain. Paste your copied image url into the pop-up and submit. When you post, the image should show directly/be embedded (as opposed to just showing a link or something)

Try using a key word when you are going for your nap each time. You can even try showing an object to your bird each time (along with the phrase). I used to wear my work ID and say "going to work" whenever I would be gone for many hours (even if I wasn't really going to work).

Last edited:
OP
H

Hambone

Mar 14, 2021
He gets anywhere from 2-4 hours a day out of his cage and possibly more if I have a lot to do indoors. I bought a cage that is 36" wide, 22" deep, and 60" tall. I don't cover him during the day and only cover him after 7 or 8pm.

Most Reactions

Latest posts