What absolutely freaks YOU out?!

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
What a great post! LOL in tears… :D :D :D I had to look up maggots on google images - oh my, I screamed and almost threw up!:eek: As for me the centipedes in the public restrooms are the worst! :11: And the horror memory from my Russian childhood in Moscow - huge black cockroaches in the vestibules, especially if they fell down from the ceiling right in front of you (I would probably had died if it fell ON me).
Aslo being alone in a big old country house at night when a bat starts flying around your room in total darkness almost touching your face… :11:
What about paranormal guys? :D I've stayed overnight in my grandma very old "bad" house once and saw the door opened on its own at night… and nobody was behind it…
Well, I'd better stop here! :D

But the worst moment was two weeks ago when I got a $6000+ bill for ER visit 4 days before my obamacare started (took a hell long to get enrolled).

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
OH NO!! veimar, that's awful... everything you said! :11:

Hm, "paranormal" would be a good fun OT thread :eek: Why don't you start one? Then again, it could get too scary, as probably the majority of adults around the world have had a run in with the paranormal at one time or another I'd bet.... I know I have, too many times for my liking :52:

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
huge black cockroaches in the vestibules, especially if they fell down from the ceiling right in front of you (I would probably had died if it fell ON me).
Some places are just bad for cockroaches. When I lived in Sydney, they were all over the place. I just wouldn't turn the light on at night, then I couldn't see them. :D

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
It was the late seventies and I was taking a Greyhound from Michigan to Florida, I think I was about 14 yrs old about 98 lbs and 5 foot 1 inch. I tried my best to wait to use the bathroom for when we had stops but it was in the wee hours of the morning and I knew it was going to be a while before we stopped again. So I went into the bathroom on the bus and carefully locked the door. My pants are down and I am trying to hover over the seat and not miss while not actually touching the seat. The bus driver was suddenly trying to miss pot holes or perhaps falling asleep but the bus is not going smoothly so I am transferring my weight from one leg to the other trying to keep steady. As the coke I had been swigging all night is finally leaving my body I look up to read some of the stuff written all over the walls. You know "Amy was here" and stuff like that when I see a little poem it said.... "Don't bother to lift your ass off the seat...CRABS can jump at least 5 feet"! :eek: I did a little screech, yanked my pants up, and imagined bugs crawling on me for the rest of the trip. We were only in Ohio at the time, so it was a long itchy trip.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
.... "Don't bother to lift your ass off the seat...CRABS can jump at least 5 feet"! :eek: I did a little screech, yanked my pants up, and imagined bugs crawling on me for the rest of the trip. We were only in Ohio at the time, so it was a long itchy trip.

BAHAHAHHAHA!!!! That's too funny!!!!

Cyrinaluna

Feb 27, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Parrots
1 cinnimon GCC - Lizzy
I can't do bees, wasps or heights.

Heights I'm not sure why I'm so afraid. It used to be a lot worse but I've gotten better over the years. I can actually go on roller coasters now!

I can pinpoint exactly where my fear of flying stinging bugs started. I was about 7 or 8 and my cousin found an empty wasp nest. Stuffed it down my shirt to be "funny". Well it wasn't as empty as he thought... But the end of the ordeal I had about 30 stings from 2 or three little things. Been utterly terrified of them ever since.

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I can pinpoint exactly where my fear of flying stinging bugs started. I was about 7 or 8 and my cousin found an empty wasp nest. Stuffed it down my shirt to be "funny". Well it wasn't as empty as he thought... But the end of the ordeal I had about 30 stings from 2 or three little things. Been utterly terrified of them ever since.

I just said "OMG!!" out loud and looked like this --> :eek:

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I think MANY TIMES our irrational fears come from experiences in childhood and are subconscious, but of course there are residual fears from conscious bad experiences.
Yes, a friend of mine said she remembered an incident from when she was really little, being dressed in a woolly jumper (sweater for the americans) and being really hot and uncomfortable but she couldn't say anything. She can't bear wearing jumpers or being confined.

People have asked me this about my fears too. I can only say, when i was just a toddler, earlier than i can remember actually, my mom ran out i think to do laundry or something (apt building, no laundry in the unit) and left me for a few minutes and i must have climbed to look for her out the window and fell, smacked my face on the way down on the iron radiator. She came in to me lying all bloody on the floor and rushed me to the ER. She was so shook up she left me with the people at the hospital and went out until it was over. Apparently i was screaming and they had to strap me down and stitch my face up while i was completely hysterical (strange people, in my face, inserting things in me against my will...)

It is a thought i guess...because it is that "feeling" that floods me with extreme anxiety but i can't explain it.

Cyrinaluna

Feb 27, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Parrots
1 cinnimon GCC - Lizzy

I just said "OMG!!" out loud and looked like this --> :eek:

Lol! That's the reaction most people have to that story. Good news is I got spoiled rotten for a few days (read: ice cream whenever I wanted) and my cousin was grounded for about a month. Hehehe.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The only way to overcome a fear is to face it. Usually the fear itself is worse than the thing you are afraid of - USUALLY -

Great. So in order to get over my BIGGEST phobia, you're saying I'd have to desensitize myself by purposely watching strangers puke in public :eek: I honestly think that would leave me institutionalized. I'd rather gouge at my eyes with a sharp stick :11:

I thought that's what college frat parties were for. Desensitizing you to complete idiots who drink til they puke or pass out... WORST one of those I ever went to, and I swear to god I am NOT making this up. One year at spring break, this guy was stupid enough to park his fancy convertible below the balcony window of a college frat party. THE IDIOTS HAD A PUKING CONTEST TRYING TO SEE WHO COULD HIT THE INTERIOR OF THE VEHICLE... YEP! A DRUNKEN PROJECTILE VOMITING CONTEST!!! NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL HAVING A GOOD TIME... or not! LOOK OUT BELOW!!!

Needless to say, this was not exactly my "scene."

Actually, I did Carnaval about five years in a row. Fair amount of puke and human excriment by the end of the night. Combine that with the heat, and the humidity... it's enough to make you... well, you know...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
[
Ugh. I don't have children (unless you count Kiwi, and he is potty trained;)), but I have babysat and stuff. The first time I had to change a poopy diaper, I almost died. Of course, it was not a choice, the child HAD to be changed, but I definitely wasn't so eager to have my own children after I babysat infants a few times:52: Maybe it will be different if I ever have my own baby, but I surely like them *much* better when I can hand them back to mommy when they have a dirty diaper. ;)

It's different when they are your own. I had actually never even HELD a baby, much less changed one, until I had one of my own. You get used to it.

Though I do keep telling my daughter she owes me. One day I'll be in the old folks home, and it'll be your turn to change my diapers! :)

She just laughs and says she'll press the button.

LVN is such a glamorous job, eh?!

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Actually the grossest thing I've ever heard of were some High School kids, tipping over porta-poties on a construction site.

They started tipping the thing over and suddenly there was this loud, "HEY WHAT THE F@#%" from INSIDE the porta potty.

It landed on the door. Who ever was in there, was stuck in there, til they brought in a crane to lift it up. With the unimaginable contents of the porta potty pouring out all over him.

That has to qualify as "WORST WORK DAY EVER!"

Wasn't me. I didn't do anything that stupid!

My friends and I were only a danger to ourselves and/or each other...

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Is that what it was?

I just called my friends at the Lindsay, and they laughed at me and said, spider migration... All I know is the line wanted to go from point A to point B, but my garage was in the way.

Glad they weren't like say a horny Doxhound... can you imagine that one? Hello, yes, there are these giant spiders and they are trying to hump my leg...

Now that probably WOULD freak me out... :22:

Actually, when I spent some time hitch hiking and traveling through Oregon, I had an, err, "hallucination"?(Not sure if that's the right word, but my mind was definitely affected by some substance. Just not a psychedelic.) while my friend was rubbing his food on mine while we were camped out, and in my mind I was 100% convinced it was a huge spider, and ended up trying to convince my friend there is a natural time in a woman's life during which she lays spider eggs.. and it only happens once..

Yea... he didn't believe me, but it sure was hilarious, probably one of my favorite "traveling" stories.

Were you eating the local mushrooms by chance? :eek:

I wasn't eating the local 'shrooms, but it was my first time trying the locally-grown herbs.. as I'm sure you all know what Oregon/Cali is notorious for. :rolleyes:
I compare it to someone who's never drank before, and they go straight for the liquor.
It definitely killed my IQ for a couple of hours, (Actually, I cried because I thought I had "smoked myself stupid" and I'd "never recover.") but after that I sort of got my bearings..
also, NEVER try anything like that for the first time while you're sleeping in the woods..
that was my FIRST mistake.. :eek:

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Actually the grossest thing I've ever heard of were some High School kids, tipping over porta-poties on a construction site.

They started tipping the thing over and suddenly there was this loud, "HEY WHAT THE F@#%" from INSIDE the porta potty.

It landed on the door. Who ever was in there, was stuck in there, til they brought in a crane to lift it up. With the unimaginable contents of the porta potty pouring out all over him.

That has to qualify as "WORST WORK DAY EVER!"

Wasn't me. I didn't do anything that stupid!

My friends and I were only a danger to ourselves and/or each other...

I'm MORTIFIED OVER HERE :eek: completely speechless.

That reminds me of a news story I heard last year... Some nut case somewhere in the US *allegedly* went hiding INSIDE the @&*% and chemical "stew" in the tank of the portapotty, all to be the most SICK Peeping Tom EVER :eek:
I could hardly believe it - if it's true, he HAD TO BE absolutely so deranged that he didn't have a normal sense of smell either!!! A person with normal senses literally could not stand it. Let alone any normal person would have better things to do with their day... :11:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
(Actually, I cried because I thought I had "smoked myself stupid" and I'd "never recover.") :eek:

Funny, it always gave me the giggles...

Well that's how it was every time AFTER that. Keep in mind, I'm an anxiety-ridden, paranoid, hate-trying-new-things teenage girl.. and those types of things tend to take your current emotions and escalate them. So I sort of freaked out.(To say the least.)

Mishcka

Feb 11, 2014
Nashville
Parrots
Cookatoo
I have a fear of Feet I will never touch anyone toes not even a kids. I will a babies but like 2 years old is my cut off... and I hate being licked. lol Not by Animals mind you but by humans LOL when I was a kid my uncle us to hold us down and lick our face it was so gross I use to cry my head off. so to this day I hate if someone tries to lick me, I will punch them right in the mouth LOL

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Actually the grossest thing I've ever heard

I'm MORTIFIED OVER HERE :eek: completely speechless.

That reminds me of a news story I heard last year... Some nut case somewhere in the US *allegedly* went hiding INSIDE the @&*% and chemical "stew" in the tank of the portapotty, all to be the most SICK Peeping Tom EVER :eek:
I could hardly believe it - if it's true, he HAD TO BE absolutely so deranged that he didn't have a normal sense of smell either!!! A person with normal senses literally could not stand it. Let alone any normal person would have better things to do with their day... :11:

I can't even stand to go in those things to do my business. I can't imagine being up to my... Whatever... just to watch someone...

Uhhh... No... Can't even mentally go there!

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
It is a thought i guess...because it is that "feeling" that floods me with extreme anxiety but i can't explain it.
Pretty much a no-brainer, I reckon. There's a biological reason for our dislike of others in our "personal space". It's unpleasant for anyone being "worked on". Throw in trauma and a young kid who can't deal with it or understand it and the reaction will be set up for life.

Most Reactions

Latest posts