What are you noticing the prices of the most with inflation?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm curious because we have people from all over the world and I'm wondering if it is on the same things or different.

I'm in Alberta, Canada, and all of our utilities have gone way up. They also raised the carbon tax yet again which makes things even higher. Our last few gas bills have almost doubled in price. Water is up because of the carbon tax and electricity is through the roof.

Food has also gone up. For example, we get the large pack of strawberries for the birds, and we've been paying $8.00 for it. Reg went shopping a couple of days ago and had to get the smaller box of them because the big ones had all sold out - at $14.00 each! The smaller packs we'd usually pay $4.99, or quite often on sale for $3.98. The smaller packs are now $8.00. Almost all of the veggies have gone up like that, as well as the meat.
It's ridiculous. I can see me turning a big part of my yard into a garden as soon as I can this year.

How about your gasoline? Ours has gone down, thank goodness. We were paying $8.00/gallon awhile back, but it's down to $4.38/gallon right now.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Yup!! And, I am not seeing any signs of inflation not continuing to rise. I hope that it will be slower than 2022. Every part of the world is affected and that will continue as well.

Take care of what you have as the price of replacing is out of sight!!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
It's not as bad as it was but still takes my breath away!

Diesel is around $4-5.30 at most gas stations. You can find gas for a little under $3!
But the eggs! $8-9 a dozen! The chickies better start laying soon.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Yup!! And, I am not seeing any signs of inflation not continuing to rise. I hope that it will be slower than 2022. Every part of the world is affected and that will continue as well.

Take care of what you have as the price of replacing is out of sight!!
Sadly, I don't think it will go down anytime soon here, either. Fingers crossed at this point that nothing breaks.

It's not as bad as it was but still takes my breath away!

Diesel is around $4-5.30 at most gas stations. You can find gas for a little under $3!
But the eggs! $8-9 a dozen! The chickies better start laying soon.
Holy chickens! Our have gone up to $5/dozen, I can't imagine them being that much. Yikes.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
My electric bill has gone nuts. It doubled from last year! Our (natural) gas has gotten more expensive too.

It seems like repairs and appliances are more expensive? The heater in Kirby’s room cost a cool $1,000 to replace. I mean, it was worth it; he needs his rest in a quiet room and it needs to be warm, but geez louise! Last month it was $500 for a rooter guy to come check our sewage drainage.

Fruit and veg is definitely going up. Organic berries have always been a pain but strawberries are weirdly expensive this year too; 4-5 bucks for the small carton, if they are even available. I’ve been buying them frozen sometimes now just to cut down on cost.

Eggs are ridiculous but I anticipated that one thanks to H1N5. When we can we get the cheaper ones at Trader Joe’s, but they are almost always out so we get the heirloom variety for $8 from the other grocery stores or I hit up the farmers market. We love eggs in this house and we are really missing those quail now, haha! It wasn’t worth the risk to the parrots though.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
My electric bill has gone nuts. It doubled from last year! Our (natural) gas has gotten more expensive too.

It seems like repairs and appliances are more expensive? The heater in Kirby’s room cost a cool $1,000 to replace. I mean, it was worth it; he needs his rest in a quiet room and it needs to be warm, but geez louise! Last month it was $500 for a rooter guy to come check our sewage drainage.

Fruit and veg is definitely going up. Organic berries have always been a pain but strawberries are weirdly expensive this year too; 4-5 bucks for the small carton, if they are even available. I’ve been buying them frozen sometimes now just to cut down on cost.

Eggs are ridiculous but I anticipated that one thanks to H1N5. When we can we get the cheaper ones at Trader Joe’s, but they are almost always out so we get the heirloom variety for $8 from the other grocery stores or I hit up the farmers market. We love eggs in this house and we are really missing those quail now, haha! It wasn’t worth the risk to the parrots though.
Good-bad news is that egg prices didn't go up so much from inflation- bird flu killed the laying hens, or they had to be killed to prevent spread. But the laying hens can be replaced in a matter of months, so egg prices WILL drop soon. However, as much as my husband LOVES eggs (I'm allergic 🙁), we HATE the commercial poultry industry, including most "free range" labeled grocery store eggs. They still cut off the tip of the hen's beaks so they don't peck each other. Can you imagine how PAINFUL that is? And the pain lasts along time! That's why I wanted to get my own chickens but I can't take chances with my indoor kid's health. So, I'm going to start buying family farm or backyard chicken eggs locally. Many people here in Maine have chickens.

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
i live in la so everything is stupid expensive. but eggs are pretty much a 1.50$ each! half a dozen was 12$ last time i checked- i dont like em but still insane! same with produce, my birds arent getting stuff they havent tried anymore, just stuff i know they like bc its too expensive of a risk now! 3 bucks a cucumber!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
i live in la so everything is stupid expensive. but eggs are pretty much a 1.50$ each! half a dozen was 12$ last time i checked- i dont like em but still insane! same with produce, my birds arent getting stuff they havent tried anymore, just stuff i know they like bc its too expensive of a risk now! 3 bucks a cucumber!
I love summer because I grow my own vegetables and my birds and I eat healthy and cheap for four months.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I have one of those hydroponic desktop gardens for herbs and lettuces. It’s been a real lifesaver.

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
My snacks are much pricier and I can get only 2 snacks with 6 bucks instead of the 3 or 4 I would usually be able to get!

Rico’s old seed mix went up by 5 bucks (it was 19 dollars and is now 24 and probably higher)

Eyeshadow is pricier

Clothes are pricier

Art supplies is pricy

EVERYTHING IS SO EXPENSIVE!!! UGH!

Even sodey pop is more expensive. That’s why I go for fountain sodies now. So, so expensive. Ugh.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Greetings from Poland where everything is expensive as a result of COVID and war in Ukraine. Especially gas, fuel.
My parents are planning to build a house but now it's a terrible moment because of the inflation and the plans are delayed.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I'm curious because we have people from all over the world and I'm wondering if it is on the same things or different.

I'm in Alberta, Canada, and all of our utilities have gone way up. They also raised the carbon tax yet again which makes things even higher. Our last few gas bills have almost doubled in price. Water is up because of the carbon tax and electricity is through the roof.

Food has also gone up. For example, we get the large pack of strawberries for the birds, and we've been paying $8.00 for it. Reg went shopping a couple of days ago and had to get the smaller box of them because the big ones had all sold out - at $14.00 each! The smaller packs we'd usually pay $4.99, or quite often on sale for $3.98. The smaller packs are now $8.00. Almost all of the veggies have gone up like that, as well as the meat.
It's ridiculous. I can see me turning a big part of my yard into a garden as soon as I can this year.

How about your gasoline? Ours has gone down, thank goodness. We were paying $8.00/gallon awhile back, but it's down to $4.38/gallon right now.
My electric bill has gone sky high. At the grocery store I can't believe how much a pound of ground beef costs. And hot dogs are stupid expensive and they aren't even "real meat"!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sadly, I am seeing anything on the horizon that suggests that prices will reverse anytime soon. In fact deflations would be deadly as currencies are not stable enough to with stand the effects. Looking out over the coming year, any shake at the foundation of the world banking and inflation could spiral upwards quickly.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I've seen things I used to buy go up several dollars, I do the keto diet thing and used to eat a lot of steak, now it's like meatballs, ground beef and sausage. And gas is up again. Keeping an eye on the next election for sure.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
dog food has skyrocketed. Mt girl was on a prescription diet that was 70$ and now it's over 100$. I had to switch her food because it became too much. Thankfully she seems to be doing okay on her new food.

Also bird cages are outrageous now. I bought Lincolns cage for about 650$ 4 years ago. Same cage is over 1000$ now.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My electric bill has gone sky high. At the grocery store I can't believe how much a pound of ground beef costs. And hot dogs are stupid expensive and they aren't even "real meat"!
My electric bill has doubled also.
rice a Roni (small box) use to be .99 cents. then 1.33.
Now it was On Sale for .99 marked down from a NORMAL price of 1.49

I live in the high desert of California and it gets good and hot here.
I have been using a swamp cooler since 2002 or so and it uses much less electricity than the normal compressor type of air conditioner.
I don't know what the people that don't have a swamp cooler are going to do when their electric bill matches their Morgage payment.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
My electric bill has doubled also.
rice a Roni (small box) use to be .99 cents. then 1.33.
Now it was On Sale for .99 marked down from a NORMAL price of 1.49

I live in the high desert of California and it gets good and hot here.
I have been using a swamp cooler since 2002 or so and it uses much less electricity than the normal compressor type of air conditioner.
I don't know what the people that don't have a swamp cooler are going to do when their electric bill matches their Morgage payment.i

I LOVED our swamp cooler while I was growing up! It's too humid in Minnesota summer for one, but as a kid in Central WA it was a total life saver! That and running through the sprinklers then lying in front of a fan before drying off.

Most Reactions

Latest posts