Staylor1981

Jul 5, 2023
Parrots
Skipper
He's been biting at the area for almost a year. Got a scab rips it off then started again. However in the last few days it got like this? He was just at the vet and said the scab was to large to see what's going under there.

Attachments

• IMG_20230705_155100118.jpg
    IMG_20230705_155100118.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20230705_155045914.jpg
    IMG_20230705_155045914.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 47
OP
S

Staylor1981

Jul 5, 2023
Parrots
Skipper
Welcome to the forums!

It appears your bird is plucking his feathers. Did your avian vet do a blood test to rule out a medical cause for it.
Thank you. Yes he got blood work done. Vet won't call back so we don't have any results. He was plucking but what is the large lump? He stopped biting it but it bothers him.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Thank you. Yes he got blood work done. Vet won't call back so we don't have any results. He was plucking but what is the large lump? He stopped biting it but it bothers him.
Oh I see.
I can’t tell what the lump is as the picture isn’t really clear enough.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I can't see the lump either and I don't mean to scare you.
But.
My cockatiel Angle had a lump/mass on her wing and had to have a partial wing amputation.

She is not a plucker but she kept injuring her wing by getting spooked and flapping around inside her cage.\

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The area appear to be very near or at the shoulder. Any number of original causes are possible. The fact they your Amazon has been picking at it for sometime has me leaning to an infection in that area. Whether I am even a little close is not important!

Short term is to see an Avian Vet again (ASAP) to have the site inspected a sample taken and determined whether an infection in found. Additional samples maybe taken depending on what the Vet sees.

Consider a major increase in the number of toys designed for an Amazon to turn into tiny bits!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Best advice, 'Boats. OP, there are any number of highly qualified Avian Vets in Calif. PLease take your amazon to see one.

OP
S

Staylor1981

Jul 5, 2023
Parrots
Skipper
Thank you for your comments. The vet finally had his secretary call us back and apparently he has liver disease. Didn't even call. Then said he don't do surgery to find another Avian vet. He hasn't even looked at the swelling. Now what.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
Thank you for your comments. The vet finally had his secretary call us back and apparently he has liver disease. Didn't even call. Then said he don't do surgery to find another Avian vet. He hasn't even looked at the swelling. Now what.
Time to find a good avian vet. I believe there is a tab in the forum that lists them by city and state.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Oh no! I hope you are able to find another vet in your area - it sounds like you need a new one!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
That’s awful, and I’m sorry the vet did you dirty like that. Liver disease does not cause scabbing, feather loss or masses. It’s possible it could be a tumor. Not necessarily a malignant one - Kirby has a number of fatty tumors due to an improper diet. If it’s over a joint or sensitive area that may be why he’s chewing it. Definitely get him into another avian vet who does surgery - I’m not saying he will need it, but it would be good if the option is available to you!

What’s his or her diet like? Liver disease is usually caused by diet, and the great news is that changing their diet, along with liver medication, can fully reverse liver disease.

As an aside, I love your bird! I too have an orange wing and they are my favorite. I hope you can get some answers soon so he can start feeling better ASAP.

Most Reactions