serge_09

Aug 8, 2013
Leicester, England, UK
Parrots
Lola - GreenWing Macaw
The time is getting ever so closer to me finally getting my macaw, i love the breed in general and before research had my heart set on a scarlet macaw. the price puts a hyacinth well out of question so id settled on either B&G or GW. what i wanted to know is my original love of the scarlet's, what makes these so hard to keep? if i was to get one would i really be making a mistake? i know all are individuals and have their own personalities but as a generalization of the breed, could somebody please shed some insight? and anybody that owns a scarlet macaw could you share your experience with them??

:blue1::red1::red:

thanks in advance

lewis

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Scarlett's are one of the beakiest macaws out there... if not THE beakiest. They just really tend put their beaks on everything, and to "express themselves" with their beaks when they are unhappy...

Which is not to say they can't be great birds, it means that you tend to deal with the beaky stuff all the time.

Greenwings, on the other hand, are the opposite. While the males especially can have dominance issues, they are such confident birds, that they tend to be very even tempered...

B&G's are also one of the more even keeled big macs...

Of the large guys the three beakiest are probably Scarlett's, Buffons, and Militaries... in that order.

The five mushiest in my opinion would be Hys, Greenwings, Red Fronts, Blue throats, and B&G's...

AGAIN, with a big mac, it's all about socialization. Any mac that doesn't get enough attention and socialization is liable to be on the foul tempered side, and any mac that has it's needs met, and has been properly socialized is going to tend to be playful, people oriented, and mushy...

That's honestly in their nature.

jbrito

Oct 8, 2013
I have Scarlet and Blue and Gold Love them both but Scarlets are Crazy, I tend to agree with my vet that says they are the schizophrenia of the macaw world, they love you one minute and hate you the next, they get into everything and with everyone, they are nousey but I love mine just the way he is.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
My personal experience is that greenwings are gentler than the b&g, but both are great. I've never met a scarlet that wasn't nippy, but they sure are gorgeous!

OP
S

serge_09

Aug 8, 2013
Leicester, England, UK
Parrots
Lola - GreenWing Macaw
birdman thank you very much for your in depth answer this gives me a lot to think about. jugoya, apologies for the misunderstanding, i have heard around that B&G are one of the cuddliest

thanks again both

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
My girlfriend had a Scarlett that was the exception to the rule. Still very much had to have her beak on everything, but not as "pinch-ey" as most. Very much a mush mac, lap bird. Just very prone to "redecorating" objects with her beak...

Most folks, especially someone who has never trained a big mac before... not advisable for a first macaw. Blue throats are also probably the most mechanical of all of them. So they can be a handful that way.

I personally find Greenwings not only easier to handle, but I think they are prettier with their facial feathers... but then I am biased.

My most bonded lap bird at the moment is a greenwing...

Again, if you want a mush mac, these guys require handling and socialization to the Nth degree. Macaws are, by far, the most "toddler-like" of all of them...

Chesphoto

Feb 10, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
Skittles - scarlet macaw
Lot's of great comments.

I adopted a 17 year old scarlet four months ago. I knew going in about their reputation about being nippy and being more on the difficult side.

Skittles is nippy, but I am fortunate that she seems to know the damage her beak can cause and hasn't had the need to show me. ;)

I really try not to force her to do things she doesn't want to do. Even then, she will still give me a pinch once in a while. No bruises, but you definitely feel it. This morning, I opened up her cage and asked her to step up. She came over to me, jumped on my arm and greeted me with a pinch. I said ouch and she instantly became a cuddly bunny with feathers...

The only time I force her a bit is with socialization. I take her out to farmer markets and outdoor malls. She seems to love the attention and of course, lots of adults and kids want to pet her. I hold Skittles so she is facing me, I use my other hand and rub her neck. That hand is also the one that will be blocking any attempt at biting anyone else besides me. I then let them pet her on her back. Reward her with praise and/or treats. She has come a long ways in just four months and for the most part, lets even little kids pet her. Once in a while, my hand has received a little bite, but never any blood or even bruise. I do believe socialization is so important that I do this at least once a week.

On the positive side, Skittles is a lap dog with feathers. She is very affectionate. She has her moments, but she is on the quiet side. Volunteering at a rescue shelter has shown me that there are a lot more screamers out there and I am very fortunate. She is also very easy going. Doesn't make big messes, doesn't waste food, and likes to just hang out with me and the family. Unfortunately, while she likes to be near the rest of the family, she will nip them if they try to touch her.

So, my advice would be that if you really want a scarlet, find an adult from a rescue shelter. You will get to see its personality and be able see if you are getting lucky and finding one like Skittles or getting one of those demon ones that you read the horror stories about. :D

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I have a RFM and he is the most unique parrot I ever lived with. He is very affectionate and will melt and roll trusting that I won't drop him. He kind of reminds me of a ragdoll cat that just goes limp when picked up. It took me a while to get use to Valentino melting and rolling. I have never dropped him.

On the other side Valentino is very very smart and takes apart everything. I think he can rival a BTM with the mechanical ability. He has not only figured out the foraging toys too quickly but will take the darn things apart. I am always having to pick them up from the grate and reassemble them. I almost got a BTM from Valentino's breeder around his same age. I decided not to move forward for many reasons but the main one that stopped me was having two very similar parrots in behavior. I would of gone insane. LOL Valentino is such a handful as it is.

The RFM is the smallest of the large macaws or you can say the largest of the small macaws. I see weight between 450 to 500 grams. His size is a little bit on the larger size for me because I am a small person with small hands so I can no longer fit my hand all the way around him.

100_2398_zps23d32e4e.jpg

Valentino is such a sexy beast and he knows it.

OP
S

serge_09

Aug 8, 2013
Leicester, England, UK
Parrots
Lola - GreenWing Macaw
wow such great feedback, thank you all for your in depth answers and appreciate you all taking the time to help :) great community! any further answers always welcome as one cant have too much information, but this has certainly gave me a lot to think about :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yep! Rolly-polly little lap birds!

I've got one of those too!

RFM's are one of the most interesting macs out there. And they are absolute loves, and absolute play-a-haulics... (So are blue throats, by the way. Both of them are fairly rare mid-sized Bolivian macs.) This is a fairly easy macaw to handle. A lot of people are less intimidated by them.

And YES both those birds will take apart everything in site! And there is no such thing as "escape proof" with either of them.

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
I have a RFM and he is the most unique parrot I ever lived with. He is very affectionate and will melt and roll trusting that I won't drop him. He kind of reminds me of a ragdoll cat that just goes limp when picked up. It took me a while to get use to Valentino melting and rolling. I have never dropped him.

On the other side Valentino is very very smart and takes apart everything. I think he can rival a BTM with the mechanical ability. He has not only figured out the foraging toys too quickly but will take the darn things apart. I am always having to pick them up from the grate and reassemble them. I almost got a BTM from Valentino's breeder around his same age. I decided not to move forward for many reasons but the main one that stopped me was having two very similar parrots in behavior. I would of gone insane. LOL Valentino is such a handful as it is.

The RFM is the smallest of the large macaws or you can say the largest of the small macaws. I see weight between 450 to 500 grams. His size is a little bit on the larger size for me because I am a small person with small hands so I can no longer fit my hand all the way around him.

100_2398_zps23d32e4e.jpg

Valentino is such a sexy beast and he knows it.

I am new to the world of Macaws. What is an RFM if you don't mind me asking. Having been severely Asthmatic to the Cockatoos ( my love). I am a fairly new mom to a Hahn's Macaw who has completely win me over. Big bird in a small body and so smart. Thanks, Elaine and Hahnna

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Red Fronted Macaw. Native to a very, very small area of Bolivia, which has now been turned into farmland, destroying their native food sources, nesting and roosting places...

There are only about 350-400 of these guys left in the wild. They are either 3rd or 4th rarest macaws in the wild. The blue throats are from the same general area, and are also one of the smaller large macaws with HUGE, HUGE, HUGE personalities... (I own an RFM and have hand fed and fostered BTM's)

The best blurb for these guys comes from one of the best macaw breeders in the country Wendy Craig (If you want a bird that's been socialized to the Nth degree - She's the one I'd go to!) Wendysparrots.com

I'd post it but I have trouble with my copy feature on this computer right now.

Wendy has info on most of the larger macaws on her site, and it's pretty amazingly accurate as far as I am concerned.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino is a Wendy Craig parrot. I love Wendy and consider her a friend. She helped me though a very difficult time when my 17 year old Noble macaw died two months before Valentino was old enough to come home.

I am severely Asthmatic myself and have no problems with my RFM Valentino. During "momma time" when we are chilling out together and snuggling he has to lay on my face or lay up against my face. Sometimes I have to watch TV with one eye. I have never had sneezing fits or asthma attacks from my freaky RFM.

RFM's like to hang on your back like a monkey. One of Valentino's favorite thing to do is to hang from my long hair like a rabid outbreak monkey and squeal while he is banging his head/beak on my back. He is one weird dude with his idea of "preening" is pulling my hair. Fortunately for him his endearing traits outweigh his annoying I am gonna cook you traits.

One thing I learned is the RFM can be loud as babies. Their voices will ring your ears by far they are freakin' LOUD. Once Valentino began learning speech around 5 months of age he stopped screaming so much. He will now let you know his needs with speech instead of screaming. I do believe I read that the screaming lessons with age. Valentino can still be loud but I noticed when he learned to talk the screaming has lessened.

I kept Valentino fully feathered and never regretted the decision. Wendy happily kept him flighted for me and sent him home to me with all his flight feathers intact. He came to me a very well socialized confident baby. It only took me 4 days to a week to win him over. I was able to teach him recall and his flying skills surpassed any parrot I ever had. Someday I would love to free fly him with the right training. For now I am using a harness and long leads to help him get exercise outside.

One thing I did have to break was his propensity to land on top of my head. This really bothered me and I just could not stand it. Valentino will now land on my hand or on my shoulder and has pretty much stopped landing on top of my head.

I love my RFM but I also realize they are very unique and are not for everyone. I have wanted a RFM since 1997 and on December 9th 2012 my dream came true.

100_2399_zpsedefa79a.jpg

My pile of feathered mush. If my hand was not propping him he would roll off my chest. In this picture Valentino is totally relaxed and presents like he is boneless. LOL. Gotta love RFM's.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
I so understand what you mean. Valentino LOVES to take sink baths in the kitchen and the sounds he makes are so cute. He also screams when I am getting his breakfast together. If I wake up late he lets me know it. LOL.

Enjoy the video of Valentino taking his sink bath. He is a happy parrot here.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9vuNT9P8_c]Valentino taking sink bath - YouTube[/ame]

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
My bird does the exact same thing in the kitchen sink - and that's in addition to the shower...

Before you do the dishes, the bird has to climb in the sink and roll around squealing...

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
If you can I would look at different macaw species in person and see which one clicks with you. Captain Jack is my first macaw but he is a mini macaw. If I ever got a large macaw I might personally consider a Red Front Macaw or a Blue and Gold macaw (by what I read about them, and what I read people say about them). However, I have to admit getting to know what Fargo and Valentino are like also is making me have more favor towards those two species. (I guess you could say I am being prejudice). That said I have small hands, I am 5 feet tall, I can not justify spending a very large amount of money, and I do not know if I am prepared for a bird that can take apart it's cage. It is cute when Captain Jack unscrews a clip and manages to toss the toy to the cage floor but I do not know how I would feel if he could start unscrewing the cage :p. On a side note if I told my mom I was getting a macaw (or any large bird) she would put all her effort into trying to talk me out of it. I had to show her so she would not say anything that mini macaws are not really that large. Of course to my coworkers and family Captain Jack is considered (a big bird) but they are use to seeing smaller bird species.

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Go blue and gold!!!!! Not that im biased or anything ;) hahaha

Fargo is incredibly cuddly, friendly, sociable, playful, very much a lap bird, and just is the most perfect bird anyone could ask for! SUPER CLEVER! He knows 22 tricks! :D

He is such an easy bird to look after, he is so independent, but very bonded with me, and loves to get cuddles and kisses, but then he doesnt mind if he has to spend a day in his cage! :)

He never screams, he never bites, i even took him to work the other day, and he spent all day in the office and didnt make a peep! Everyone thinks he is so well behaved!

I love how everyone here is saying they are short hahaha I am 6 foot, so Fargo doesnt look that big!

Somersaulting:

If you have a read through some of my old threads you will get to see LOTS of photos and stories about Fargo!

Here is a general one over the past year, and you can see how much he changes :)
http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/35568-has-been-1-year-me-fargo.html

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPwvPhBTNAI&feature=youtu.be"]Fargo the most amazing bird! - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXQ4cHD2F6o"]Fargo the macaw sticking tongue out, somersaulting and rolling over! - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6yzRpo3HpA&feature=youtu.be"]fargo the blue and gold macaw fetching trick - YouTube[/ame]

So yes, i love blue and golds!

Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
Doogie - Catalina Hybrid Macaw
I just happen to have a Scarlet Macaw, a Blue and Gold, and one half-way inbetween called a Catalina Hybrid. I have had all three of my macaws for a long time and have learned exactly what to expect of them at any given time. First I got my Catalina; Doogie when he was 4 and he is now 20. He was a real handful when I got him as he had been teased by the owner's children. I was not about to let him 'win' in his aggression game and he remains being very powerful, but has turned into a sweet loving bird. That is not to say he would be sweet to anybody else, as he is bonded to just me. Next I was given a B&G at the age of 20. He is now 31 and I have had him for 11 years. Kayko rode the short bus to school and is intellectually challenged, but can safely be put on the arms of any two year old child. Clifford my Scarlet is just 10 years old and I got him when he was 7 months old. He is bonded to just me and has a real hate thing for my wife. He has snuck up on her on the floor and badly bitten her feet several times hurting her very badly. Clifford is pinchy. It's almost like 'pinch' is part of his language, like a pinch greeting. He certainly pinches hard enough, but seldom now ever hurts me. Initially when the wind at the beach would blow him around, he thought that I was responsible for the wind and had to be punished by him biting my ears. Thankfully we are well past the 'terrible twos' where he acted like that and seldom do I come home with my ears bleeding. Scarlets are kind of the 'pit bull of the macaw world' where a B&G is more the Golden Retriever. A B&G is a much safer bet on getting a good temperament and certainly more readily available. I had to have my beautiful Scarlet, but he is not the ideal bird pet. Clifford will play acceptably with Kayko, only because Kayko will cow down to his aggressive advances. Doogie on the otherhand has always strived to be 'top dog' against Clifford and would fight to injure each other. This has happened just once with Doogie hurting Clifford's foot and a $500. vet bill. Since then I never let Doogie and Clifford out together. Cliff will always stay on my shoulder (he is trimmed) and I regularly take him into Wal-Mart on outings. He is my best talker in public with a 30+ word/phrase vocabulary. I think the Scarlet is the most beautiful bird, but I am surprised how many people think Kayko the B&G is just as pretty. Maybe it's because I immediately warn people in public that Clifford would bite them so badly they would have to be hospitalized and Kayko will never bite anyone, that makes Kayko more desirable.

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
I think the Blue and Gold is a nicer looking bird! I have had my girl just a month now and could not ask for a better bird!

Most Reactions