Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Ok so I've been experiencing this for a while now, forgot to report it but I guess I'll do it now.
Screenshot_20220609-071302_Gallery.jpg

What. Is. Going. On?

As you can tell, this is an old screenshot.

This happens when I haven't used the page for a while and then I use it again(let's say, a few hours later). Refreshing works, so his glitch doesn't annoy me, but I thought I'd report it anyway.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I'm sorry Pipp, I'm not exactly clear on the nature of the glitch you're experiencing. I presume it's got to do with the black "Parrot Forums" bar across the middle of your screen? I'm just wondering, as you mention that it only appears when your screen has been dormant for a while, it may be something like a "sleep" mode that the forum goes into when there's no activity from your end, and it may actually be prompting you to do a refresh? I'm sorry but I have not experienced anything like this myself, and I honestly don't know if it's the forum itself, or something that may be peculiar to a specific type or brand of device. As you mentioned though that refreshing the screen seems to work, I'm going to suggest that perhaps the forum actually "wants" you to refresh, so that you are viewing the latest posts etc when you return from a period of being dormant.

Having said all that, I am not any kind of technological wizard at all, and I generally access the forum from a laptop or desktop, so I am only speculating as to what the issue may be. Perhaps some other phone users and/or techno heads among the membership may have had a similar experience and can weigh in. And if you'd like, I can ask our resident @saxguy64 for his opinion, he knows a lot more about this stuff than i do! :)

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I'm sorry Pipp, I'm not exactly clear on the nature of the glitch you're experiencing. I presume it's got to do with the black "Parrot Forums" bar across the middle of your screen?
Yep, exactly that.
I'm just wondering, as you mention that it only appears when your screen has been dormant for a while, it may be something like a "sleep" mode that the forum goes into when there's no activity from your end, and it may actually be prompting you to do a refresh?
Could be, but it's strange that the menu(?)is across the screen and not on top.
I'm sorry but I have not experienced anything like this myself, and I honestly don't know if it's the forum itself, or something that may be peculiar to a specific type or brand of device. As you mentioned though that refreshing the screen seems to work, I'm going to suggest that perhaps the forum actually "wants" you to refresh, so that you are viewing the latest posts etc when you return from a period of being dormant.
I think it's an issue on my end, IDK why.
Having said all that, I am not any kind of technological wizard at all, and I generally access the forum from a laptop or desktop, so I am only speculating as to what the issue may be. Perhaps some other phone users and/or techno heads among the membership may have had a similar experience and can weigh in. And if you'd like, I can ask our resident @saxguy64 for his opinion, he knows a lot more about this stuff than i do! :)
I think Saxguy64 will know.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Perhaps it's across the middle of the screen so that it grabs your attention a little better, like "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME, REFRESH MEEEEEEE!!!!" :) Anyway I have asked Jon, and Terry too, I'm not certain that they will know for sure though. I hope a few more members might have some info for you too :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I wish I could help, but I haven't seen anything like that on my tablet before, and I don't have a cell. I bet Jon will figure it out!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Okay, this is a new one for me, but I've been thinking on it a little.

On my phone, the very top black bar moves up and down/hides when scrolling at the top of the page, but it's anchored at the top, so it doesn't end up in the middle of the page like that. In trying to rule things out, have you tried any or all of the following things?

-First, reboot your phone. Rebooting commonly fixes a large number of weird things, and most people rarely bother to do it until the phone locks up or something. My mantra... When in doubt, reboot. Applies to virtually all things computer related, across all operating systems.

-Completely close out the browser and re-open to see if anything changes.

-Close out the browser completely, go to app settings on your phone for the browser, and clear the cache, then restart the browser and see if that solves it.

-Try using a different browser app. Possible what's happening is a browser specific coding thing, and the glitch may be the result of a recent update. I use different browsers on different devices because some of them don't format certain websites properly. If the problem doesn't happen on a different browser, there's your answer.

I know there's a current discussion about relative safety of different browsers, but the point is largely moot. They ALL use your browsing habits and history. Some are just more transparent about doing so than others. We sign away rights simply by using the devices we've become so dependent on. It's in the user agreements. In reality, the only way to completely protect your information is to not use the devices at all, so we weigh the convenience against the risk in our decision to use them.

So, on my android phone, Chrome seems to work best for me for forum and mod related stuff. I manage 90+% of my general forum activities and modding on my phone. I can't really speak about apple because I don't have an iPhone, but on my son's iPad, I've found it difficult to do much of what I need for moderating. Regular posting is okay. On PC, much though I dislike Microsoft, Edge browser works best for me in terms of functionality and page formatting on the forum. I use Firefox for almost everything else. Again, can't speak on Macs as I don't have one.

Let me know if any of this helps. I kind of enjoy problem solving, so now I'm curious. :)

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Okay, this is a new one for me, but I've been thinking on it a little.

On my phone, the very top black bar moves up and down/hides when scrolling at the top of the page, but it's anchored at the top, so it doesn't end up in the middle of the page like that. In trying to rule things out, have you tried any or all of the following things?

-First, reboot your phone. Rebooting commonly fixes a large number of weird things, and most people rarely bother to do it until the phone locks up or something. My mantra... When in doubt, reboot. Applies to virtually all things computer related, across all operating systems.

-Completely close out the browser and re-open to see if anything changes.

-Close out the browser completely, go to app settings on your phone for the browser, and clear the cache, then restart the browser and see if that solves it.

-Try using a different browser app. Possible what's happening is a browser specific coding thing, and the glitch may be the result of a recent update. I use different browsers on different devices because some of them don't format certain websites properly. If the problem doesn't happen on a different browser, there's your answer.

I know there's a current discussion about relative safety of different browsers, but the point is largely moot. They ALL use your browsing habits and history. Some are just more transparent about doing so than others. We sign away rights simply by using the devices we've become so dependent on. It's in the user agreements. In reality, the only way to completely protect your information is to not use the devices at all, so we weigh the convenience against the risk in our decision to use them.

So, on my android phone, Chrome seems to work best for me for forum and mod related stuff. I manage 90+% of my general forum activities and modding on my phone. I can't really speak about apple because I don't have an iPhone, but on my son's iPad, I've found it difficult to do much of what I need for moderating. Regular posting is okay. On PC, much though I dislike Microsoft, Edge browser works best for me in terms of functionality and page formatting on the forum. I use Firefox for almost everything else. Again, can't speak on Macs as I don't have one.

Let me know if any of this helps. I kind of enjoy problem solving, so now I'm curious. :)
Only saw this now! Will read through it again and try these stuff.

Most Reactions