Wing Injury Tips/Help?

liamtoro

Feb 3, 2021
USA
Parrots
a budgie, and two lovebirds.
I recently adopted a supposedly 4-month old lovebird, my first lovebird.

The previous owner did not make me aware that he has an injury to what looks like his outermost primary feathers. :smile032: Looks like it was an attempted clipping as his feathers are quite short in comparison to the 4-month olds I’ve seen and he isn’t capable of flight.

I only found out when I handled him and realised some bleeding was happening. The wound has not bled since, nor has it before that, but he always holds that injured part of his wing up in an awkward position after attempting to fly.

I was just wondering if there is anything specific I should be feeding him or applying to his wing in order for it to heal effectively or prevent any infection.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, hope your young lovebird makes full recovery with flight capability! Without personal knowledge of the species, will have to defer to our more knowledgeable members for advice.

Have you approached the previous owner for additional details. Shame on them for not fully disclosing, but you ought have full account of details to better evaluate the situation and potential treatment.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Not bleeding is good. So lower the perches in his cage, towel on the bottom. Keep him warm! Me, I would keep him caged for a few days to let the whatever it is heal a bit. Without seeing and readin more its tough to say much. 100% I'd book an appt with a real CAV just to make sure everything will be OK.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thin on information.

Once a feather has grow into place, the blood supply retreats from the base. As a result the feather has no blood supply. That said, a new feather commonly referred to as a blood feather can bleed while the feather is in its growth stage.

You say that there was a slight amount of blood at the tip. If not a blood feather, the only other source of blood would be the wing structure itself. A cut upon the outer most tip of the wing structure could result in damage to the Primary flight feather's root that could result in it not being able to provide a new feather.

It will require an Avian Medical Profession to determine what was in fact damaged and whether a new primary flight feather will be possible.

Most Reactions