Work Schedule & Behavior Change

throwingcopper33

Sep 28, 2019
Media
Florida
Parrots
Female Solomon Island Eclectus
I have a 3 year old female SI Eclectus named Luna. She had an independent nature which worked out since I live alone. She always seemed fine when I left her alone for work, etc. She has a really big cage with a ton of toys, so she stayed entertained. I recently was out of town for 5 weeks and had her boarded in a local bird store. So she was in a highly social environment with many other birds, customers, and store workers for a very long time. After returning home with her, she is showing signs of not liking to be alone. Every time I leave my house she starts to panic, climb really fast all over cage, and scream. She is showing a lot of anxiety in these moments of my leaving. This has lasted a few weeks now. I have tried things that distract her as I am leaving, but she quickly learns these "tricks" and is no longer distracted by them.

My other issue is that my company is changing my work schedule from 8 hour shifts to 10 hour shifts. The eight hour shifts worked out because I could still spend time with her every day. With 10 hour shifts(after the lunch and commuting)... I'm away from home for 12 hours minimum. Since Eclectus need 12 hours of sleep, I'm basically waking her up in the morning, and putting her to sleep in the evening. So no social interaction for her for 4-5 days a week. And on those work days she will not be able to have fresh veggies. I will have to feed her freeze dried veggies or pellets.

I'm struggling to find solutions to our dilemmas. I thought I would come here to see what the experts in this forum might recommend. The only solution I can come up with is to give her up to a someone or to a family that will be able to socialize with her better and keep her on fresh veggies/fruits.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I don't know Ekkies at all but I do work 10 hour shifts (10.5 with lunch) and a 40 minute commute.

My bird can eat pellets and seed so it's probably very different to set up my workdays than it would be for you :/ I spend 20 minutes in the morning having my coffee with him and then eat dinner together in the evenings. Lots more time on days off of course.

My biggest help is that I have a dog walker - he always spends time talking to my parrot before and after he walks my dog. My parrot loves him and stops whatever he's doing to say hi. Afterward my bird is super happy and fluffy so I do think it makes a difference to his days when I'm at work.

I'm not really sure what would help your girl though, since her behavior change with you leaving now after she was boarded and needing fresh foods. Hopefully one of the Ekkie folk will have some ideas ❤️

Most Reactions