Worms / Worming?

cneuhauser

Jul 9, 2020
Cary NC (hate it), LF Job in Moab UT or elsewhere
Parrots
Dusky Conure, Male Ekkie
Good Morning everyone. My research continues with the Eclectus parrots and reading as many books as I can get my hands on. However, some of them seem to be relatively outdated, and/or inaccurate.

I was reading a section in one book about routine health, and they were talking about the Eclectus being prone to worms? I haven't seen or heard of this anywhere else...and for the most part it seems to be specific to the Eclectus kept with other birds, or in larger aviaries.

Furthermore, they discussed "worming" which is the process of introducing chemicals into the water of the Ecletcus to kill worms in the intestinal tract.

Has anyone heard of this? Is anyone doing this? I'm particularly hesitant because I know how sensitive the Eclectus is to chemicals. My bird is going to be in his won cage with no other birds, and won't be interacting directly with any other birds either.

Thanks for all of your advice and help...this community has been amazing!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Worms and de-worming is rare in Parrots. Adding the medication to drinking water is a highly questionable method as it would be very inconsistent in the amount of medication the Parrot would receive, thus in affective.

IMHO, I would discount that recommendation /concern.

With Eclectus Diet being heavily loaded on the Veggie side, the amount of water they would add to their diet would likely be less than other Parrots. With hope, one of our Eclectus Pros will comment further...

Last edited:

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Worms and de-worming is rare in Parrots. Adding the medication to drinking water is a highly questionable method as it would be very inconsistent in the amount of medication the Parrot would receive, thus infective.

IMHO, I would discount that recommendation /concern.

I disagree.

ALL birds are prone to worms, some more than others, and Parrots are on that list and I have witnessed the tragedy people have gone through after loosing birds to a worm infestation.

There are 2 methods to worming:

* Crop needle done by experience person (vet, breeder etc..)
* Diluted in the water

I have only use the Diluted in water approach, but crop needle is the most efficient.

I use 2 products to worm all my birds, Panacur 25 and Moxidectin Plus, and I worm usually 2 or 3 times a year and I have never ever had problems with worms in my time keeping birds.

For indoor caged birds, worming once a year is the best practice, I breed birds in large outdoor aviaries so routine worming is a must.

When I worm my birds, I take out all forms of moisture and water (dishes, veges etc) and just leave them with dry food like seed at around 4:30pm in the afternoon the day before. The next day I put in the worming treatment water and straight up in the morning and because the bird/s are thirsty they immediately go straight down to drink and take a big drink before they realize that it tastes bad. Leave the water in there for the rest of the day and in the afternoon put back in normal water and the veggies etc..

Repeat treatment after 2 weeks to prevent re-infestation

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Sailboats right, your average parrot owner in the US has no real concern over worms. It’s just not something we see much of here.

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Last edited by a moderator:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Our CAV has never tested any of our Amazons for worms stating that the occurrence is extremely rare. Her position regarding medication in drinking water is that it is in affective and never provides medication using that method.

But, great to know that Parrots caged outside can be exposed. Thanks for that insight. We are a zero-outside-household as we live in Red Tailed Hawk Central.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Never have an issue with worms in the USA -- no vets even mention worming as it's SO rare/uncommon here that no one here does it. I'm guessing it's because of the huge temperature highs and lows we get here (in central USA, winters are average -20 degrees F and summers are 90 degrees F.) The worms wouldn't be able to survive the fall/winter. But in places like Singapore, Australia, etc. that stay humid and tropical all year round would be more prone to worms who will thrive in the heat. But if you live abroad, breed birds outside exclusively, then it's a good idea.

OP
C

cneuhauser

Jul 9, 2020
Cary NC (hate it), LF Job in Moab UT or elsewhere
Parrots
Dusky Conure, Male Ekkie
This is what I truly appreciate about this community, the differential opinions with respectful correspondence. Thank you all for chiming in... it sounds like I may try it once a year, or once every couple years as long as the meds don't present any side effects; just to be safe.

Thanks again!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Just chiming in late, but also in the US and never have been asked about worms or anything relating to testing for them in my indoor bird -she goes to a CAV.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
This is what I truly appreciate about this community, the differential opinions with respectful correspondence. Thank you all for chiming in... it sounds like I may try it once a year, or once every couple years as long as the meds don't present any side effects; just to be safe.

Thanks again!

Thanks for your sentiment! We are an international community, and Noah was sharing his Australian experience, quite different from the North American or European environment.

I would respectfully recommend consulting with certified avian vet prior to worming.

Most Reactions