Full spectrum lighting?

psittac

Oct 8, 2013
I have a full spectrum fluorescent light that I used to put over my birds cage. I made certain to get an expensive one with the proper ballast so it doesn't give my bird the strobe affect.

I haven't been using it for about the last year and wanted to see what you guys think about using them.

bluecrownmama

Oct 27, 2013
Western Maryland
Parrots
One Blue Crown Conure
Oh I am very curious about this too! I don;t have one but I recently came across suggestions to use them. I'd like to try it with my blue crown because he does so much better with a solid 12 hours of dark sleep-and with the darker days here now I wonder if solid 12 hours of light will help him too. I haven;t heard about the strobe affect from less expensive ones-can you elaborate? Did you notice any differences in your bird when you were using it?

OP
P

psittac

Oct 8, 2013
If you were to use a regular fluorescent light fixture they have an operating frequency that while humans can't see it, to a bird it looks like a strobe light. Think of when you film a monitor or tv screen.

What I noticed in my bird was that she molted more often, also when I first started using it she got little light pink spots on the top of her eyes but it didn't last long, I figured it was kind of like getting a sun tan or a light sun burn.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Full spectrum lights have a burn in period, and can cause major damage to a birds eyes... especially if they are the reptile bulbs and are too close to the cage during the burn in period.

Some people use them, others don't. I do have a full spectrum bulb (not tube) and it does provide a nice white light! It is probably of no benefit to the birds now (if it ever was, - re: vitamin D synthesis - I've had it for 5+ years now!) and is used in a bedroom that, without said light, would be very dark!

OP
P

psittac

Oct 8, 2013
ok it must have been that burn in period that caused the problem, I was unaware of that. I avoided reptile bulbs because the UV level was just to high, these are actually craft lights sold at hobby lobby but are full spectrum.

I don't know what affect the UV has on her other then causing her to molt more frequently.

I do know that birds can see spectrums that we can not and windows block out these spectrums so I feel that it's letting her see more and in some small way giving her something she would otherwise lose out on.

I actually stopped using her light about a year ago due to a nagging suspicion that it was causing eye damage. That's why I posted this because I want her to have the wave lengths to see more as well as any possible health benefits.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
CRI raiting needs to be 92-98 (98 being the best)
Color temperature between 5,000 and 5,500 Kelvin

Do you know what the ratings on the craft lights are?

Most Reactions