Goffins: Loki official thread

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Well, I've decided it would be best to keep Loki in the living room (rather than the bird room) until he consistently steps up. We spend most of our time in the living room and Kalani is always out on his stand when we are home. I have transitioned him into a new cage that is larger, but he is not yet in the large, permanent cage I purchased for him.

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Loki's temporary cage. Because he is near the kitchen, the big cage cannot logistically be moved for cooking, ect. The big cage will still be Loki's, but resides in the bird room. Until Loki is comfortable stepping up and hanging out on a stand, we will keep him out here where we spend our time, as to not damage the relationship.

His temporary cage is still too small, but it is better. He is willing to climb into ANY cage without hesitation and make himself right at home. I figure a month or two is not long in the grand scheme of a cockatoo's life.

nqptnp.jpg

15ywtbq.jpg

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
They are rather fearless, once accepting the basic living situation. Haven't found a toy too large for their comfort. Macaw-sized wood toys are no problem. They usually christen them within minutes!

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
They are rather fearless, once accepting the basic living situation. Haven't found a toy too large for their comfort. Macaw-sized wood toys are no problem. They usually christen them within minutes!

And when you find one they really like, buy them all. I took Oscar to PetCo with me one day in late September. While I was talking to an employee, he plucked this ghost squeaky toy off the shelf behind me. He LOVES this ghost squeaky toy. I bought several back up toys, and now I'm in a panic because I only have one more back up left. He drags this toy around with him *everywhere* and gets upset if he can't find it. I am not looking forward to the meltdown that's bound to happen when he destroys the last one. I only bought four extra because I figured he'd grow tired of it after a few weeks. I was wrong. So very wrong.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

And when you find one they really like, buy them all. I took Oscar to PetCo with me one day in late September. While I was talking to an employee, he plucked this ghost squeaky toy off the shelf behind me. He LOVES this ghost squeaky toy. I bought several back up toys, and now I'm in a panic because I only have one more back up left. He drags this toy around with him *everywhere* and gets upset if he can't find it. I am not looking forward to the meltdown that's bound to happen when he destroys the last one. I only bought four extra because I figured he'd grow tired of it after a few weeks. I was wrong. So very wrong.

Better have PetCo scour every available toy!! Because if you find another bunch and buy them, Oscar will lose interest!

They are so resourceful! I bought Gabby a simple toy with 6 wooden cups strung vertically on a chain and placed it near an empty metal food dish. He places the bottom inside the bowl, sits and spins the cups endlessly and makes a form of music! Next, he removed a 6" section of plastic chain from a bar and placed it inside the metal bowl and enjoys repeatedly dropping it to make yet another sound.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Goffins love the floor! I believe it is a natural behavior but requires more diligence. Tame ones have no fear watching humans walk in their midst.

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
Goffins love the floor! I believe it is a natural behavior but requires more diligence. Tame ones have no fear watching humans walk in their midst.

Yup. Oscar loves wandering around on the floor. I generally make an announcement to the entire house when he goes wandering.

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA

Yup. Oscar loves wandering around on the floor. I generally make an announcement to the entire house when he goes wandering.

Yep! All three wind up on the floor frequently enough that it's second nature to watch the floor as we walk. Dogs are separated when birds are out!

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Love that pic! Hopefully Flower and Loki will become good friends!

Loki is DEFINITELY interested in Flower. Flower is somewhat interested and expressive around Loki, but is reserved when he gets too close. Certainly not a bad starting point.

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Loki checking out Flower. He is more confident around me when Flower is around. He climbs out more, lets me get closer, is more likely to pet him, ect.

2gx0aiv.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts