Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Right? I'd forgoten how big Kalani's palace was. Both are pretty awesome homes.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Looking great, will be interesting to see if there will be cage sharing and exploration?!

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Looking great, will be interesting to see if there will be cage sharing and exploration?!

It will be interesting to see how the dynamics change for sure. I do know that Loki has been around other birds and Kalani is young, so hopefully they will get along well (with supervision). Ultimately we will probably be a three bird home. With those cages, that is what space and time will allow. I like the idea of the flock but I know it can certainly mean I'll face some challenges.

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Hey guys!!

168zig4.jpg

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Brief update:
All is well. Loki screams sunrise and sunset, as expected. No big deal. It's early to tell if he will scream when not getting attention once he's a little more attached.

He is taking food from me through the bars much more consistently.
He will take food from my girlfriend if he is about half way out of the cage (not through the bars).
He will take head scratches from her pretty consistently, but only through the bars.
So far he is more of a "flight" than "bite"

He is chewing on small toys more day, by day.

ab2e6e.jpg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Look at the progress made in such a short time! Such great news that Loki is now starting to work more on the toys now...won't be long until he is destroying them as soon as they go in.
He is starting to realize that he is home. His story brings tears to my eyes.

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Thanks Terry! I'm trying to balance giving him enough toys without drastically changing his environment while he's still adjusting.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Never having,or knowing a 'too before Jonesy came a long to live briefly with Amy and I..for their mini size,Goffin's pack a bundle of energy,mischief,curiousity,and loving in those little white bodies lol.

The Cockatoo Man had a TON of birdonality about him! Such clowns! :18:
Don,if you can train him to NOT scream (too much lol) you'll have an awesome companion for life!

As far as Loki getting along with your flock..you read the post I did of Amy and The beady-Eyed Monster"..It'll depend on the rest of your flock accepting him.

How old was Loki when you saved him? Jones was approximantly 26 y.o. when DJ let me adopt him.

Jim

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I think you're handling Loki very well, Don. Despite the fast process, he is still observing and adapting; resisting the urge to progress speedily is very wise!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
Loki looks like he's settling in very well! To go from scared of you to letting scratches in this amount of time is awesome! As long as he's happy then there's nothing wrong really. Like we all say, Loki sets the pace. If he wants to sprint to being a cuddle bug then who's to say otherwise? Kalani maybe, but tough luck! Loki needs some lovin too!

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Never having,or knowing a 'too before Jonesy came a long to live briefly with Amy and I..for their mini size,Goffin's pack a bundle of energy,mischief,curiousity,and loving in those little white bodies lol.

The Cockatoo Man had a TON of birdonality about him! Such clowns! :18:
Don,if you can train him to NOT scream (too much lol) you'll have an awesome companion for life!

As far as Loki getting along with your flock..you read the post I did of Amy and The beady-Eyed Monster"..It'll depend on the rest of your flock accepting him.

How old was Loki when you saved him? Jones was approximantly 26 y.o. when DJ let me adopt him.

Jim

Loki is nine years old. He screams in the morning and evening as expected. I can also hear him scream when I am outside doing something, but I don't think this lasts very long.

I think you're handling Loki very well, Don. Despite the fast process, he is still observing and adapting; resisting the urge to progress speedily is very wise!

Thanks Scott. It helps that he likes to retreat to his cage, so it doesn't take much effort to get him there. No forcing. Although, I may do the cage change tomorrow, so that could shake things up.

Loki looks like he's settling in very well! To go from scared of you to letting scratches in this amount of time is awesome! As long as he's happy then there's nothing wrong really. Like we all say, Loki sets the pace. If he wants to sprint to being a cuddle bug then who's to say otherwise? Kalani maybe, but tough luck! Loki needs some lovin too!

Loki is now letting Cora (girlfriend) give him head rubs outside of the cage. He isn't willingly stepping up yet, and of course we aren't pressing the issue. So far he trusts Cora a lot more. Luckily Kalani likes me better!

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Also discovered that Loki barks like a dog today. It is possible that he picked it up from our pup, but I find it pretty unlikely. At nine years old, I'm sure there are still quite a few more things to come out of this little guy. Cora got a great video, but unfortunately it was on snapchat so I couldn't save it.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That is one of the awesome things about rescues, you never know what is going to come out of their mouth. We just heard Stevie, our ARN, start meowing the other day.
Does your dog react when Loki barks?

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Also discovered that Loki barks like a dog today. It is possible that he picked it up from our pup, but I find it pretty unlikely. At nine years old, I'm sure there are still quite a few more things to come out of this little guy. Cora got a great video, but unfortunately it was on snapchat so I couldn't save it.

Barking is fine in my book,Don...it was the CUSSING that got to me lol.

Lets hope Loki's previous parront(s) were civil..compared to Bonesy's :eek: :rolleyes: That characteristic didn't emerge until Jones settled in..like in three weeks or so...then it was a crap shoot on what was going to come out of that little beaky of his.

Jim

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
That is one of the awesome things about rescues, you never know what is going to come out of their mouth. We just heard Stevie, our ARN, start meowing the other day.
Does your dog react when Loki barks?

Dogs are separate when Loki's out so hard to say!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)

Don't underestimate the mimicry! Parker picked up "Oh my god! Oh My god!" from my mom instantly. The first time they met he spoke and she screamed that phrase in shock and awe. He INSTANTLY spit that right back at her, knocking her off her feet stunned.

He also picked up MEOW from a friend of mine, who came over for a get together. She repeated it to him over and over determined to teach it to him. He repeated it the next day. After she was gone, of course. He only said it that once, never did repeat it. but he definitely got it after one night.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I am glad Loki is doing well and not giving your girlfriend a hard time:)

Chris- your anecdote about Parker and your mom made me laugh so hard:D Taking it your mom never met a parrot before?

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA

Don't underestimate the mimicry! Parker picked up "Oh my god! Oh My god!" from my mom instantly. The first time they met he spoke and she screamed that phrase in shock and awe. He INSTANTLY spit that right back at her, knocking her off her feet stunned.

He also picked up MEOW from a friend of mine, who came over for a get together. She repeated it to him over and over determined to teach it to him. He repeated it the next day. After she was gone, of course. He only said it that once, never did repeat it. but he definitely got it after one night.

Loud things and things said with a lot of excitement are picked right up!

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
168xuah.jpg

More progress. Loki will now take treats from my fingers outside of the cage (he has been doing this with cora for several days.) He is retreating to the cage less and less. Now it's a matter of transitioning him to the real cage.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Good progress, DOn. Letting things happen with minimal pushing from you and the family is the ticket.

Most Reactions

Latest posts