Going away for 3 weeks

Oscaror

Jun 2, 2015
Hello, first post :D

I have a GCC and we're pretty tight. When I'm home he's out of his cage playing with me, but is sorta used to being without me. I've left him (with a sitter) for 1 week max and he lives with a budge (they get along great, never fought for a year now) so he has her. I'm just wondering if he can withstand 3 weeks alone with a sitter, or does he need professional supervision (in case his health stars going downhill due to stress)I know that animals have no concept of time, so maybe 1 week should feel no different to him than three?

Just wanted to know, this isn't urgent by the way, still about 2 months till the trip. Anyway any help is greatly appreciated!

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
I think as long as u trust your sitter than all should be good. I mean does your sitter let your birds out for play time? And if not why not? Your bird should feel wanted and love even when your not there,start training your sitter..lol. My pet sitter plays with my "kids" I set out rules and portion food and set aside treats..,where are you ..maybe I can help...good luck

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
I think it will be ok as long as your sitter is trustworthy. I would write down all the directions on taking care of your bird. I would also write down your avian vet's number and an emergency vet that will take birds. I sat for a friends huge parrot once for 2 weeks and she had everything in little plastic bags that were frozen I would have to warm up twice daily and then a chicken leg (she premade them all) and voila. I managed to get through the two weeks without a disaster, but she made it so convenient and provided so much written info that I felt really comfortable.

I think I would rather have my bird's with someone I trust than in a vet hospital. With all the noise and potential illnesses I would avoid a vet for boarding. Good luck!

-Jen

OP
O

Oscaror

Jun 2, 2015
My sitter just checks on him daily and refills his food/water. He doesn't let him out or anything because my bird is scared of him (he takes a long time to warm up to new people and my sitter only sees him when we're gone).

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
Your bird should be left with someone he is use to but that's my own opionion. Like Jen says just make sure EVERYTHING is written down, all important info. My sitter says my info packet I put together makes his life so easy,I'm very detailed..after all these are my kids. I couldn't imagine by bird being locked up for three weeks..again only my opionion. If you were close to me I'd help your sitter and your bird bond a bit..in fact maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea....just saying....good luck.

Most Reactions

Latest posts