Harness vs. Flight Suit for my Green Cheek?

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Yes, bats are wonderful! I never had any mosquitoes when I had a huge population of Big Brown bats in my old barn. The Toledo Metroparks people used to come here to study them, as they thought I might have had the largest population of them in the area. Then the barn came down in a tornado. I would love to get a big bat house out there, but don't really have access to a crane or bucket truck to get it up high like the old barn was. They thought it was the height and metal roof that they liked so much; that it provided the perfect temperature for them.

The bat house needs to be 15-20 feet high. However there is another way to get it up there without a crane. A lot of people use a free standing pole and secure the bat house on it first. Next, they put the end of it in a bucket (home depot/lowes) and pour cement to secure the pole. You can then bury the cement bucket wherever you want. It needs to be facing South and be painted a dark color for temperature. They like it really warm but depending of your climat, the color it should be can vary. Wood bats allows bats to grip better than metal ones.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
We can buy utility poles from the electric company for $25 so I was thinking of using one of those, but yes, getting it set is the problem. I used to have a neighbor with a bucket truck, but he sold it because it was always breaking down. Yes, the window in the top of the barn faced south. They went in and out through that. I meant give it a metal roof, not make it out of metal. I know they need rough wood to grip.

Most Reactions