Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Crossing my fingers! Coconut is an adorable name for a cute little cinnamon tiel :).

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
When do you expect to be at the breeder's? Just think once you get Coconut, you are over the big hurdle with the breeder and you can take your time after you have your new baby. In the breeder's defense, he/she may have thought you were dragging your feet and was loosing a potential sale from another interested party. Hang in their and keep us posted!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm leaving my house tomorrow at 9 am incase I run into traffic, bad weather etc... it's a 3 hour drive... I'm supposed to meet the breeder at a gas station 1pm... he's driving to a gas station to help me not have to drive all the way to his bird store because his bird store is an even further drive. The odd thing is that I really only rescheduled ONCE due to bad storm.... that same day I noticed storm was clearing up and actually told him I would love to drive up there that day afterall (this was Tues... day after memorial day)... but HE is the one who then insisted I go another day... but he was gone entire week starting that very next morning!... he just got back into town one day ago on Sunday evening. I would have gotten the bird many days ago but he went out of town for a solid week. The bird was weaned 2 weeks ago... so it's super weird why he would think that... as you can see... I barely had a chance to get the bird! :(

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I'm thinking maybe like riddick07 said, maybe he got his facts about you confused? At any rate, if he's acting normal tomorrow and doesn't bring anything up, just act like nothing happened. Sign the paperwork, say thanks, and get out of there with your baby lol.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
I'm thinking maybe like riddick07 said, maybe he got his facts about you confused? At any rate, if he's acting normal tomorrow and doesn't bring anything up, just act like nothing happened. Sign the paperwork, say thanks, and get out of there with your baby lol.

He did offer to have me take the tiel sooner (before he was fully weaned). I then told him I'm happy to take the tiel before he's weaned but I have never handfed a bird before and have no idea how to do it properly. I told him I could look on youtube to see how it's done... but then he told me it is better he finish weaning the bird himself in that case. Then yesterday I asked him if I could possibly pick bird up on Thurs, Fri or Saturday instead of Wed (because I thought this storm would be really bad and be gone by then)... and that is when he freaked out and sent me that harsh text in all CAPS... luckily the storm is no longer an issue... it's gone.... so I just gotta drive up there and get outta there with my lil' Coconut lol :D

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
This breeder sounds horrible to me trying to offer you an unweaned baby....But it is very possible he got you mixed up with other people getting babies from him. That does tell me that he doesn't have it all together. When I used to deal with multiple people, I know whom I'm talking to and what was discussed. Plus which baby they want. At the same time I know how much of a hassle it is for someone to reschedule multiple times.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
This breeder sounds horrible to me trying to offer you an unweaned baby....But it is very possible he got you mixed up with other people getting babies from him. That does tell me that he doesn't have it all together. When I used to deal with multiple people, I know whom I'm talking to and what was discussed. Plus which baby they want. At the same time I know how much of a hassle it is for someone to reschedule multiple times.

Yes, but I did not reschedule multiple times =)

.... I'll be on the road today for over 6 hours, so fun!.... NOT! :p

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Safe trip Tropical we are all doing this journey in spirit with you and as RavensGryf said get your baby an" get outta there" and enjoy the trip home because at that point you can relax and focus on Coconut :)

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
I just got to Tampa!!! I'm at the gas station waiting for him. .. I got here almost entire hour early, my bad. I am not excited.... I am mostly nervous lol... because I've never seen this bird in person before.

He just said he will text me when he gets here. It's a nice gas station... seems new.

The drive was super easy it rained twice only for few seconds but once it rained so hard I literally could not see ANYTHING. .. the way people drive blind is crazy!!!!!!!

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I just got to Tampa!!! I'm at the gas station waiting for him. .. I got here almost entire early, my bad. I am not excited.... I am mostly nervous lol... because I've never seen this bird in person before.

He just said he will text me when he gets here. It's a gas station... seems new.

The drive was super easy it rained twice only for few seconds but once it rained so hard I literally could not see ANYTHING. .. the way people drive blind is crazy!!!!!!!

Go inside and introduce yourself with the staff at the gas station and tell them what you are there for.

Last edited:

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
You can relax now and just wait for him to come...Grab
a cup of coffee while you wait...Im excited now and waiting to hear all about your little baby...if it rains hard during a shower on the way back just pull up and wait for it to pass...Good Luck :)

Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
Wow... Honestly I wouldn't buy from a breeder with an attitude like that, I know you really want a pied tiel but it might be worth the wait?

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
OMG... that was very scary!!! On the way home it poured VERY heavy rain the entire time I was driving home on Route 60... I had to slow down to 30 MPH... people drive like IDIOTS!!!!! Then it eased up but started again for a long time... thankfully I made it back safe.... the way people drive when it is raining so heavy is revolting.... so dangerous.

... but OMG.. this new cinna tiel is sooo cute. He is super gentle... but he REFUSES to step up.. I know it's because he has no idea who I am... but if I place my finger asking him to step him he immediately puts his head down and wants me to pet him!!

SUPER CUTE!!! I have never seen a tiel be this cuddly right off the bat! He is a massive cuddle bug, crazy!!!

In the breeder's defense (he is Pakistanian) he does seem like he takes good care of his birds... because he kept showing me what water etc he gives his birds etc... he also told me in the beginning he hopes I get the bird because he wants it to have good home (he saw my tiel's massive cage)... he also kissed the tiel few times and pet him and said good bye to the tiel today before I took him.

.... but then he told me tiel is 3 month or 3 1/2 months old... the tiel just weaned 2 weeks ago... I thought they pretty much always wean by about 2 months of age?? This is why I thought the tiel was 2 months old.... he doesn't know the tiel's exact hatch date so I don't know its birthday :(

I will post video of the new tiel tomorrow... he is preening himself, stretching and playing with tons of toys... he seems so comfortable already :D

He is staying in smaller spare cage I have for time being.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
So glad your trip went safely and you finally have Coconut. Will be nice to see a pic and learn how he adapts to life with you!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
So very awesome! As previously said, breeder most likely high strung! If I decide on a tiel addition, I will go with him!

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
This tiel was worth the drive and me risking my life LOL

He really loves playing with all the toys... my tiel never plays with his toys and just sleeps all day... so hopefully his new brother will teach him :)

.... but I'm confused why the breeder says tiel was just weaned 2 weeks go but tiel could be 3 and a half months old he said... he said that's the problem... too may breeders wean "too soon"?

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Hey be proud of your achievement (driving in bad weather) and your new friend. I'm glad that all worked out, now the next chapter begins. :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Great to hear Coconut is home :)! I can't wait to hear all about the cuddly little guy. I'm so glad you had a safe road trip.

Most Reactions

Latest posts