Impulse Purchase (sort of) last night...

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Talked to the breeder again. He will continue hand feeding her. Sarah and I will go down and pick her up on the 17th.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I'm glad your surgery went well Mark. A big congrats on the new baby. I am sure she will help in your recovery and be a wonderful new addition that will give you lots of love and joy:)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
So happy you are recovering, Mark, hopefully comfortably!

Congratulations on your new GW baby! She will do wonders for you and your flock. We are all still waiting for Maggie to return, and will be eternally vigilant.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
First, let me just say that I am so glad you are on the path to recovery! I hope that path will be swift and filled with as little pain as possible, my friend.

As for your new greenwing, this is great news! I know you haven't given up on Maggi, Mark. None of us has. And special as she is, no bird could ever replace her. But this bird will carve her own place in your heart. And in time, she will become an integral part of your household as well.

It's just how I felt with Jolly. He could never replace Bixby, of course, but he has come to occupy a place in my heart that is just as cherished.

So... given any thoughts to names just yet?

Last edited:

SirEdwin89

Mar 5, 2016
Virginia
Parrots
Confetti (9y/o CAG), Ely (5 y/o Citron SC2), Barney (3 y/o MSC2), Baby (21 y/o Senegal), Peaches (16 y/o M2)
Conan (26 y/o Harlequin Macaw)
Congrats Mark, that's awesome. I haven't gotten a chance to know you all that well yet, but I hope you continue to make a speedy recovery as well. And can't wait to see your new GW in a couple weeks.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Wow Mark - I am so excited for you. I don't have a baby parrot - I like Craig's list. :D So please, pictures, for those of us who have older parrots, we live the baby time with you.

I hope you have a speedier recovery than expected.

Also, expecting to have you and Maggie reunited someday soon. So keep a spare cage ready for her.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Wow Mark - I am so excited for you. I don't have a baby parrot - I like Craig's list. :D So please, pictures, for those of us who have older parrots, we live the baby time with you.

I hope you have a speedier recovery than expected.

Also, expecting to have you and Maggie reunited someday soon. So keep a spare cage ready for her.

Maggie never really did cages...

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Mark...I have been thinking on how you have been fairing..I am also with all the others,on wishing you a very speedy recovery.

I was an emotional and physical wreck when Smokey passed on. NO ONE will ever replace that very bossy,stubborn,trouble making Gray ever.
Every day she is in my thoughts,but my little 'tiel has found a home within me,and I am able to laugh and smile once again.

We are all saying prayers that one day very soon,you will be reunited with your precious Maggi.

I am happy to learn of your new little one,who will not replace Maggi,but will eventually fill that big dark void in your heart.

Can't wait to hear more on this little creature,and waiting for you to share the first photos of him/her.

Jim

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
In the process of re-doing Maggie's cage for the new bird.

It's almost Saturday! Starting to get excited. Sarah's very excited.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Exxxxxxxxxxxxciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiting!

I'm so happy for all of you!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
We're all excited with you, brother! Expecting a mountain of pics this Saturday!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Mark, I am also so excited and happy for you and Sarah, and the new baby you are adding to your family. I echo Stephen with the expectation of many pictures!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Mark, I am also so excited and happy for you and Sarah, and the new baby you are adding to your family. I echo Stephen with the expectation of many pictures!

Ditto!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Jim

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
The big day is almost here! :D

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yesterday was a very long day, and a big day for the new baby.

She is 4.5 months old, but a "slow weaner" as she is still on 3 hand feedings a day.

She doesn't know step up, but she is bite pressure trained. And she is about the MUSHIEST greenwing ever. She handn't really been handled much, but she let me walk right up to her, and pick her up by the feet. The minute I got her on my arm she scrambled up to my shoulder and pressed her face against mine and stayed that way.She rode home half the time on my shoulder, and half the time on Sarah's shoulder.

We made three stops on the way EVERYONE who wanted to cuddle the greenwing DID, AND SHE ATE IT UP!

Eating has been a problem. She had some solid food in the car on the ay home, but she refused formula. Turns out the breeder had been feeding her using a hair dye bottle instead of a syringe. She refused the syringe. Refused the spoon. Finally this morning, I went out and got a hair dye bottle and she finally filled her crop. (Her crop was empty!) As soon as she saw the bottle, the begging noises started. Made me nervous because I'd never used the hair dye bottle method before, but it wokred...

She is inside her cage at the moment, discovering toys.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so glad she is home with you! That's the first time I ever heard of using a hair dye bottle, glad you were able to find one!
Any pictures yet?

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
thread_is_worthless.jpg

Most Reactions