Impulse Purchase (sort of) last night...

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I least you were quick to think 'outside the box' on the hair dye bottle . So this is a girl ? Im so excited for you.When I have lost birds in the past . I find I long for the same species. I do usually end up getting one , I find I see a lot of similar traits :). First Big Mac you have had since a baby?

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Congratulations, Mark!!!

I'm glad the hair dye bottle worked! I'd never heard of that, either.

A mush mac, eh? I'm so happy for you! (And Sarah, too!) And yes, I'm joining my voice to the chorus of those clamoring for some pics! The more the better!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I had to hand feed Amy,at night,for 2 weeks..The breeder I got her from used those yellow plastic mustard bottles someone would use at a pic-nic.
The moment she saw it,it was : gaaa gaaa gaaa gaaa..baby amazon speak I guess lol
Happy for you and Sarah,Mark! I'm with the others here...PICTURES PLEASE!!

Jim

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Mark, I was so sorry to see the thread about Maggie. I hope this baby fills some of that void though I know only too well it will never be the same again.:(

Funny I always fed Macaws with those types of bottles, the kind you would buy to put mustard and ketchup in or as you called it a hair dye bottle. I did it because I have small hands and the size of syringe that I could comfortably hold didn't really work for the larger birds.

I am a firm believer that Greenwings should not be forced weaned, well I am that way with any baby but the big ones especially. I had a very large Greenwing take almost 10 months to fully wean. He ended up such a big cuddle bug and the new owners were thrilled with his size and personality! So that one seems like just a wee one with plenty of time to be fed by her new daddy. I am looking forward to pictures.

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Congratulations! Sounds like everyone is in love already. ;) Glad you figured out her feedings. Can't wait to see pics!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Wow congrats! And btw I don't think it counts as an impulse purchase when you have the experience to know what you are getting into ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I least you were quick to think 'outside the box' on the hair dye bottle . So this is a girl ? Im so excited for you.When I have lost birds in the past . I find I long for the same species. I do usually end up getting one , I find I see a lot of similar traits :). First Big Mac you have had since a baby?

Got Sweepea as a baby. She was one of Cindy's birds, from Blackstone Aviaries. (I was in California at the time. No shipping, otherwise it would have been one of Wendy's babies.)

And I actually hand fed Tidbit (BTM) as a baby for a friend of mine, who got him and quickly discovered she was in over her head...

But yeah, virtually all the macs I worked with otherwise, were fosters, rehomes, or rescues... Most of them I simply retrained and then gave back to the rescue.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Funny I always fed Macaws with those types of bottles, the kind you would buy to put mustard and ketchup in or as you called it a hair dye bottle. I did it because I have small hands and the size of syringe that I could comfortably hold didn't really work for the larger birds.

After the first feeding I got the hang of it. I am always nervous when I hand feed. If anything, this method is slower, and there is LESS chance of overfilling a crop, or putting the food down the wrong pipe... (aspiration pneumonia.) Three feedings yesterday. This morning's 5 am feeding went smoothly. Plus she ate some pellets besides.

Last edited:
OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Mark, I was so sorry to see the thread about Maggie. I hope this baby fills some of that void though I know only too well it will never be the same again.:(

I am a firm believer that Greenwings should not be forced weaned, well I am that way with any baby but the big ones especially. I had a very large Greenwing take almost 10 months to fully wean. He ended up such a big cuddle bug and the new owners were thrilled with his size and personality! So that one seems like just a wee one with plenty of time to be fed by her new daddy. I am looking forward to pictures.

The amazing thing is how LIVELY the flock has gotten from the minute baby came home. I MEAN BOISTEROUS AND ACTIVE AGAIN... It wasn't just us. The other birds were depressed too...

And I'd never force wean...

I wasn't planning on clipping her, but the breeder did it on his own. She had already fledged according to him. She was flighted in the video I got a few weeks ago.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East

After the first feeding I got the hang of it. I am always nervous when I hand feed. If anything, this method is slower, and there is LESS chance of overfilling a crop, or putting the food down the wrong pipe... (aspiration pneumonia.) Three feedings yesterday. This morning's 5 am feeding went smoothly. Plus she ate some pellets besides.

Aww, it's been so long since I fed a macaw they are amazing with incredible feeding responses. I know it will get more comfortable as she learns your style and you learn her likes.

Everyone should be nervous when they hand feed no matter how much experience they have. People who treat it like it's no sweat scare the **** outta me!

Save

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I'll try and take some pictures tonight. Sarah took a bunch, but I was too busy working with her, playing with her, and feeding her to take pics.

I'm going to need to send those to someone to upload for me...

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I'll try and take some pictures tonight. Sarah took a bunch, but I was too busy working with her, playing with her, and feeding her to take pics.

I'm going to need to send those to someone to upload for me...

Hahaha! No worries, Mark. I've got your back. PM me later and we'll work it out.

sherryanne1961

Sep 18, 2016
Media
Madison, ME
Parrots
6 year old Congo African Grey, she has one leg, we call her Peggy
Wishing you a speedy recovery and congrats on your newest family member!! You can never replace your Maggie, but there is always room for one more in our hearts. May you find comfort in your memories and joy in the new memories to be made!!

Sherryanne & Miss Peggy:grey:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Any updates, Mark?

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Hey Mark! Long time no see since I rarely get on here any more. Congrats on your new baby!

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
Hi Mark - So happy for you and your flock! Can't wait to see pictures of your new baby!

Most Reactions