Looking to get Skittles a new cage...

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Taco: female cinnamon pearl cockatiel - hatched: ~September 2013, Gotcha date: Nov 29th, 2013
Tiki: Male yellow-sided green cheek conure - hatched April 10th, 2015, Gotcha date May 24, 2015
I still can't wait for Spring so I can get him that pak'obird. I blame BoomBoom for that. LOL.

Blame him when paying, but thank him when using... It is the best thing ever.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Let us know how you like the cage after you get it and are using it! It seems like an excellent price.
I have only ever bought one parrot cage, the Kings Cage I got before I got Georgie (summer 2001). It still looks brand new and I'm happy about that. The finish on the cage you bought looks like the powder coating on my cage too.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I keep checking my email 'hoping' for a reply saying it's on its way. I am getting very impatient. LOL.

A friend of mine said to me today "the new cage probably won't even phase him". I told her, "when has anything come into the apartment and NOT phased him." LOL. He WILL have an opinion about it.

I don't think he's ever taken to anything 'new' that I've bought him right off. But he has warmed up to each of them.

mekat

Jul 5, 2015
I don't know of any cheap corner cages. At Bird Cages 4 Less corner cages are priced b/w $400-$1000. If his current cage is in good condition you can just keep using that until you either can go to a bird fair (where cages are usually much cheaper) or find one that was lightly used but still in next to new condition.

I know A&E sells cages on Ebay for much cheaper then retail so you may want to stalk their Ebay account and see if they offer up one that appeals to you. They go by aedistributors on Ebay and I have bought a flight cage from them before so can personally recommend them.

I'm not a fan of any of the cages you linked because they are all off brand cages and when you buy off brand you take a bigger risk due to the unknown about warranty and quality control.

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Bro that's a good looking cage. I have one kinda similar I got for $15 bucks off craigslist hah. It was in need of a lil repair but Im good with my hands. Booger never uses the playtop.. his playtop is the bald spot on top of my head. And yeah be prepared for a lil fight. His old cage is his palace and if he is anything like my birds it'll take 3-4 days before they get comfy in it.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I'm "preparing" for Skittles adjustment. He didn't take to his playstand I got him right off. Nor did he take to the suction cup perch I bought off of Amazon. Now, that perch is his 'go to' spot.

I paid more for his playstand that I got from Kings Cages than I did for this new cage. LOL.

Aside from the Harrison's pellets, Skittles has never taken right to anything I've gotten for him. I do notice however, that my reaction to these things has a big impact on him. If he sees me with something, he gets curious. No doubt if he sees me setting up his new cage he will get curious. I will encourage him to check out the new cage, but I'll let him discover it on his own. I've found that this method works best, especially with power treats. Those or his grapes - he will go ANYWHERE to get those so I will likely use them to get him to try out his cage.

If it arrives early enough, I'll leave it out for the day and let him explore. But if it's in the evening, I'll wait til the following day - I don't want him to spend the night in the cage until he's used to it.

It's "supposed" to arrive Saturday.

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Wish I could find a sample of those pellets. I really have to encourage my birds to eat any pelleted food. They would rather nibble at em a lil bit and hold out for the fresh stuff. The way I encourage mine might be unorthodox but it works. They beg for stuff Im eating on a regular basis so occasionally I'll put the pellet stuff on my plate and eat it while they watch. (taste like crap)... and in short order they are begging for it and at least sampling it. I know I know...someones gonna give me hell for eating bird food.. but heck if its not safe for me to eat its not safe for the birds. I do wish it tasted a bit better tho.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Yeah they do like to eat whatever they see us eating (good or bad). My bird already identifies the dogs as part of his pack and I have to fight him off the dog bowls when I prepare their dinner. Ha.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I have two like your option 1.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Products-Cockatoo-Birdcages/dp/B002SMC25E/"]Amazon.com : Best Choice Products New Large Play Top Bird Cage Parrot Finch Macaw Cockatoo Birdcages : Pet Supplies[/ame]

They roll out for easy cleaning and washing. I also took the solid top off of Venus' cage leaving the bar top on. She plays on the play tops, her's and Buddy's, going back and forth between them. Buddy doesn't come out of his cage much, he's a home body. I like that the bottom of the cage has the bar and solid bottoms, both are separate. I use a 13 gallon, tall kitchen trash bag for the liner in each. They fit perfectly making easy cleaning.

They are easy to assemble and they are strong. Canelo, my 70 lb. bull dog has climbed halfway in them to get food. Yes he gets yelled at but the fact that he has gone into them and they are still standing, they are awesome. My playtop have rounded or curved ladders. Venus is all over them.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I have two like your option 1.

Do you use a cover on them at night? I need to find one that will fit. I may have to resort to blankets until then.

@NotdumasIlook Does your vet carry them? Mine does and they gave me some samples. If not, you could always call the company and ask for a few free samples. Harrison's is a GREAT company to do business with. I've been ordering from them since 2006. One time I ordered some Sunshine factor and I misread the instructions and messed up - and I told them that. They sent me a free replacement, even though I was the one who messed up. Now THAT is good CS.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I do. I use one quilt for each cage (I wrap a quilt, using a clamp to hold it in place at the top of each side), and I use furniture clamps to hoop the quilt in place. I go around each cage with the quilts and use the furniture clamps at the top of each cage clamping each at the top. For Venus' open bar top, I place a cover, this way to keep drafts out. I use quilts because they are available, minimal excess material thread in the air and easy to transport.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I know they don't have any covers the size of Skittles new cage in any of the two local pet stores - at least last time I checked. So if I got one, it'd have to be online and most of the ones I've seen online don't show actual measurements.

You mentioned quilts, I'm curious - does the weight of the quilt affect the stability of the playtop?

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
No my vet doesn't carry it.. and none of the pet stores around here either. Most of what you find here is seed/pellet mixes or that junk that looks like lucky charms... hah. I will give them a look and ask for a sample. Hope it taste better than Zupreems hah
As far as a cage cover I have always just used old linen sheets. The birds don't care if its not storebought special ). But they do enjoy being covered and rest better. Heck I don't buy bird toys either. I make them. Never had a complaint yet!!

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Taco: female cinnamon pearl cockatiel - hatched: ~September 2013, Gotcha date: Nov 29th, 2013
Tiki: Male yellow-sided green cheek conure - hatched April 10th, 2015, Gotcha date May 24, 2015
I use fleece throws for my two playtops and just wrap it around the three sides leaving back for circulation and I use clothespin s and binder clips to secure on the bars. The playtop does not get covered.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
@notdumbasIlook I hear you on that. I used to think I was doing right by Peaches when I fed her commercial pellets. The 'fancy' kind, fancy seeds as well as table foods. Turns out, most of that, if not all - is just processed filler and junk.

I've never tried the Zupreem so I don't know what to tell you. I know Peaches and Skittles took right to it, but that's not always the case. I do hear that Budgies don't take to the Harrisons' well and I can atest to that from experience. I think budgies are just seed eaters and anything else they won't touch.

Sometimes I make toys for Skittles - but fortunately, the local pet stores (petco in particular) have a large variety of "all-natural" parrot toys. It's important to go all natural with a chewer such as a conure.

Skittles will chew anything. Sometimes I hear him smacking his beak. I think he's chewing the air just cause it's there. LOL.

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
@notdumbasIlook I hear you on that. I used to think I was doing right by Peaches when I fed her commercial pellets. The 'fancy' kind, fancy seeds as well as table foods. Turns out, most of that, if not all - is just processed filler and junk.

I've never tried the Zupreem so I don't know what to tell you. I know Peaches and Skittles took right to it, but that's not always the case. I do hear that Budgies don't take to the Harrisons' well and I can atest to that from experience. I think budgies are just seed eaters and anything else they won't touch.

Sometimes I make toys for Skittles - but fortunately, the local pet stores (petco in particular) have a large variety of "all-natural" parrot toys. It's important to go all natural with a chewer such as a conure.

Skittles will chew anything. Sometimes I hear him smacking his beak. I think he's chewing the air just cause it's there. LOL.

Yeah bro Im with ya on the natural stuff. And it has to be something they can tear up. And agreed.. no pellets for budgies or cockatiels either actually. Their lil systems are evolved to handle a "hard times" diet most of the time and that pelleted stuff can be way too rich. As for table food tho, mine get stuff they can have but it has to be in moderation. A fat bird is not a healthy bird. Gonna contact Harrisons now and see whats up.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Well my cockatiel is on the Harrisons - she's been on it for nearly 10 years. I wish it helped with her mood though. LOL. She has been VERY grumpy for several weeks now, but she's old so I take that into account.

I do the same with the table foods. That's more of a 'treat' and I try to keep it as organic as possible.

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
hey bro..quick question?? Looking at the Harrisons site they got tons of different stuff... which is the one you are using for Skitty??

OOPS nevermind... found a local source that stocks it all as well as free samples!! This old man is heading that way now. laters

Last edited:

Grraarrgghh

Jan 5, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Parrots
"Albert" - Female Red Bellied Parrot - 1y3m (Oct 8th, 2014), "Martha" - Unknown Yellow-Sided GCC - 11m (Feb 13th 2015)
Thirding/Fourthing Harrison's. They use millet as a filler, but other than that there is very little to complain about with their pellets.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
hey bro..quick question?? Looking at the Harrisons site they got tons of different stuff... which is the one you are using for Skitty??

OOPS nevermind... found a local source that stocks it all as well as free samples!! This old man is heading that way now. laters

Harrison's offers lots of different products for a variety of uses. Each item on their website gives a description of what it's for (ie Healthzyme, Rain, Sunshine Factor etc).

Skittles and Peaches eat the "High Potency Fine". The High Potency is recommended during conversion, but after that you can switch them to the "Adult Lifetime" or continue with the "High Potency". I continued with the HP.

The size of the pellet differs according to species. They have 'mash' for very small birds, superfine as well. Then they have the fine for tiels and conures and they have the coarse for your larger birds.

Most Reactions