Looking to get Skittles a new cage...

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Great looking cage! Nice to know Amazon has nice cages. Skittle's is looking handsome as always!

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Yep, I think he does. I still think he has some adjusting to do - but so far, so good. He's taken to it quicker than I thought - but still needs 'reassurance'.

I've been checking on him every couple hours to make sure he's okay and each time he's been on his rope toy - he usually sleeps in his cuddle hut. I put him in it, and he stayed for a bit but once I covered him up I could hear him climb out. Then I uncovered him again and put him back in his cuddle hut. This time he stayed cause I could hear him make his 'purring noise'. I want to make sure he gets a good nights sleep.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I got a question for you all. As I mentioned in an above post, there were a few sharp edges that I filed down a bit. One was stubborn so I put glue gun glue on it until I could really file it down. I have a moto-tool kit (sands/smooths small surfaces) and I filed down that one area.

My question is this - how smooth does it need to be? It's not smooth like sin, but it's not sharp either. If I 'press' my finger on it and rub up and down it doesn't even leave a mark much less puncture my skin. But I don't know how tough parrots feet would be. Is my finger/thumb a good indicator? Or is their foot skin not at tough as my fingers?

I figure better safe than sorry. The area I'm speaking of is near the bottom of the door on the inside. It's on the 'inside' of an _| versus the outside corner.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I just filed those places down in my new cages until it no longer felt sharp on my finger and wouldn't puncture or 'catch'. He'll be fine if you do that ;).

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Thanks Raven, that's what I thought but wanted to double-check.

Today was Skitty's first full day in his new cage. I don't think he slept well last night but neither did I.

I put him to bed about an hour and a half ago. He didn't give me a hard time and 'almost' went in entirely on his own - he's just still getting used to it. I just checked on him and he was still sitting on the perch right by the front of the cage. He's usually in his cuddlehut by this time. He kept making 'kissy noises' and puffing up. He wanted scratchies so I did that. Then I took him out and cupped him in my two hands and gave him lots of kisses. Then I put him back in the cage and pointed to the cuddle hut and he went right into it, I was surprised. But then quickly peaked his head out, and came back out - so I put him in the cuddle hut myself. Then he stayed. I went back to check on him a few minutes later and he was still in his cuddle hut. I just love how much he trusts me. It just still amazes me even after having him almost 5 years.

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
He has stopped bitting when you "invade" his new cage...correct? OH and I have to tuck Booger in at nite too. After sugar he requires a beak rub while on his perch snuggled up to his "blankie". Im amazed how much alike our birds are... except for attacking guest tho..hah

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Actually, he never started. LOL. I could actually stick my hole head in his old cage with him still in it as well as this new one and he just gives me this "so what? you want a prize?" look.

The only time he gets nippy is when I touch a sensitive area while preening him. He will BITE hard when he thinks I'm trying to take a treat away or something (like trying to clean up bread crumbs near him while he's eating the bread. So now I wait til he's away from the area to clean it up.

That is probably the ONLY thing I don't like about him - is how nasty he is to everyone else. When I used to have caseworkers here four days a week, he was very friendly with them and would let them hold him and pet him. Once they stopped coming, he became very possessive of me. I live alone and RARELY have company - even when I do they don't stay long. So he is not used to other people anymore. I hate that, but with my current life situation, there ain't much I can do to change that.

Last edited:
OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
PS, funny you should say how much they are alike. I cannot tell you how often I say to Skittles "quit being a booger!". It's funny.

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
LOL... yeah I bet if Booger and Skittles ever met they would have a ball. Speaking of balls... Booger has them as well. He will go in Cookies cage and go T-REX trying to take over the food bowl. Cookie, who hasn't got that protect food response looks at him like WTH??.. puts up with it for a minute then gives Booger a "daddy bird" beak smack... and Booger will stand his ground until Cookie pulls out the stops and smacks him good a couple times. Then 2 minutes later they are preening each other. MMA and Love Story.. all on one channel.

Most Reactions