Looking to get Skittles a new cage...

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Last check, Skittles cage was in Connecticut - the same town my mom and sister live in LOL. It's due here tomorrow! I am so excited! Lets than one day away and Skittles has NOOOOOO clue. At least I think he doesn't. He's been VERY good the past few days, perhaps he 'senses' something or it could just be a coincidence.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
How exciting! Can't wait to see photos of the new cage and set up.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I'm going to video record the opening of the package - just for insurance 'in case' it's damaged.

After that, once I have it put together, I'm going to take pictures of it fully assembled and then fully decorated. Not sure when I'll take pictures of it with Skittles in it since I don't know how long it will take for him to get accustomed to it.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
When Venus' cage arrived, it was in three boxes. I inventoried everything and found two types of play tops and a ton of extra screws. Usually it's the opposite, not enough, lol. I did go buy an Allen wrench that I could use with my power screw driver that sped up the build, less than an hour. Venus had to watch what was going on, she even sat on top while I was finishing the doors. Buddy, he'd never do that because the new cage would try to eat him, lol. Here is a pic of mine, the darker cage on the left is the one I ordered on Amazon and put together for Venus. I'm looking forward to seeing your pics, especially if Skitty is in them because he just has to be involved, lol!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443273381.603167.jpg

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
Looking forward to seeing Skittle's new cage!

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Just be careful Skittles doesn't grab the screws and hide em when you aren't lookin )

WilliamKenyon

Aug 21, 2015
Media
Parrots
Mango: Male cockatiel, Ruby: Female eclectus
You must be so excited and know doubt skittles would be if he knew. Can't wait to see the new cage. :D

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
As of 7:22a, it's on the FedEx truck for delivery! I woke up about an hour ago to use the bathroom and I checked online to see an update. Then I couldn't go back to sleep. LOL.

@Taw5106 You know, I hadn't considered that; multiple boxes I mean. According to FedEx website, it's 1 package that weighs 63.9lbs. I'll have to double check when they deliver.

@NotdumasIlook I'm hoping he's "cooperative". When I got my new entertainment center a few months back, I waited til after I put him to bed to assemble it. Mostly because it's tempered glass and steel and I didn't want to risk breaking it by not paying full attention. Skittles has a habit of wreaking the most havoc when I am distracted.

Right now he is enjoying his morning power treat and I am sipping coffee in my covered thermal mug. LOL.

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
10-4 on "covered". It can ruin a morning taking that last sip and spotting something green and slimy in the bottom of your cup!!
Right now my lips are a bit raw. Cookie and Booger had a "sugar" competition this morning.. I guess who gets the most wins... Cant wait to see the new cage! Have a great weekend.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Guess what just arrived! Woohoo!

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
So here is a pic of it assembled. They weren't kidding on Amazon about it taking a long time to assemble! It took me a little over an hour.

Skittles didn't give me a hard time at all. Didn't go bonkers when I brought the box in or assembled it. I was surprise. I 'think' he's going to take right to it, to be honest.

I'll take some more pictures later, with him in it - but I want to do some cleaning first. I just wanted to take a quick moment to share this pic. Overall, I'm very happy with it, very happy.

It had a few bends that I was able to straighten and a couple sharp areas I sanded down. I'm not gonna nitpick about that though, not for the price.

IMG_1616.jpg

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Taco: female cinnamon pearl cockatiel - hatched: ~September 2013, Gotcha date: Nov 29th, 2013
Tiki: Male yellow-sided green cheek conure - hatched April 10th, 2015, Gotcha date May 24, 2015
It's very nice. Happy moving day for skittles, LOL.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
It looks great :)! Some birds take right to a new cage and make themselves at home instantly, where others look a bit displaced for a little while. Looking forward to hearing Skittles' reaction.

It's common unfortunately on powder coated cages to have some sharp metal "spikes" here and there that need sanding down. I noticed that when I replaced cages last year.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Well fortunately, there weren't very many sharp areas - but I'm glad I checked. I also wiped the cage down after I assembled it.

He's in his 'new cage' now. It's like twice the size of his old one and I think he doesn't know what to do. It's so big I can hang his 'ceiling toy' that he loves so much inside his cage and it doesn't even touch the bottom. I thought I was gonna have to do some major rearranging of furniture, but it fits perfectly in the same corner as his old cage AND it will fit going down the hallway so I can let him sleep in the bedroom with me. I like that the wheels have locks on them.

I'll post a few pics of him in it in a few minutes. He seems to prefer the perch by my computer still. BUT, he wouldn't even sit on that perch when I first got it.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Here are some pics of him in his new cage - as you can see from the top two pics I put a perch on the front of the cage so he can peak out, he's so nosey. LOL. I'll hopefully be able to get some better pics of him in it once he's gotten really accustomed to it. Skittles is pretty big for a sun conure, and this cage makes him look small. LOL

IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_1620.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg
IMG_1618.jpg

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Wow!!! Look at the happy King in his new castle!

Wonderful new cage, it looks comfy! I bet Skittles will make himself at home in no time.

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Hellova fine cage their bro!! He will have a ball in it!!!

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
One of my neighbors came over to see it. I needed her help attaching one of the back perches cause my arms weren't long enough. She was bugging me to put him in the new cage so she could see him in it. (I had him in the old one when she came over.) I told her I wasn't going to put him in it until I had it all set up and in the corner. I wanted him to 'know' it was safe since that is "his" corner.

I like that he has so much more room. I may just keep the playtop tray in when he is out and on the playtop - that way when he is in his cage he can see above too - not blocked by the tray.

The food cups are HUGE. Luckily the small ceramic bowls I got for his playstand were a perfect fit for the big dishes.

I have to put his cuddle huts back in, I took them out to wash them. He'll go in the cage or on the playtop IF I put him there, but he won't go on his own - right now. But soon. I just love how much he trusts me.

I went to lay down for a bit earlier, I was laying down in bed and he was on the pillow. Suddenly I felt a thump on the top of my head. Apparently he decided to plop himself down sideways. His back was pressed against the top of my head and he was laying on his side. I could tell when I felt his belly. I wish I had the camera with me, but I didn't.

Thanks everybody for all the nice comments and for the suggestions as well. Much appreciated!

WilliamKenyon

Aug 21, 2015
Media
Parrots
Mango: Male cockatiel, Ruby: Female eclectus
awesome cage :32: !!. it looks very sturdy and safe too. I hope skittles likes it.:D

Most Reactions