Lost my congo african grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
So sorry Mark. I cannot imagine the heartache but deeply empathize with the raw emotions you and Tusk are experiencing.

Might it be worth contacting a local zoo or rescue organization for brainstorming ideas?

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
So sorry Mark. I cannot imagine the heartache but deeply empathize with the raw emotions you and Tusk are experiencing.

Might it be worth contacting a local zoo or rescue organization for brainstorming ideas?

I know what to do, Tusk just has to calm down enough to do what needs to be done to save his own life.

He's actually drifting over towards SeaWorld right now. (He's only a few blocks away at the moment.) We're kinda hoping that's where he ends up, that he hears and gets attacted to all the parrots in their aviary. My daughter works there, and the person who takes care of the aviary is a friend of mine.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I was hoping to see Tusk had been found this morning. I'm praying for y'all.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I was hoping to see Tusk had been found this morning. I'm praying for y'all.

We found him twice yesterday, only to have him fly off instead of coming down.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
How frustrating to be so close, only to have him fly off. I'm so sorry.

Rio gave me quite a scare one day when I was removing her from her outside cage to come in doors. The sun was going down fast. Well she flew on top of our shed then to the top of the carport. No one was home except for me. I got a ladder but was really scared to get too close to her with it. She hates items that are larger then her. Anyway, I managed to set the ladder up, and got up there. I was so afraid she would fly away, but I knew if I could just get her on me, like my shoulder I could climb down safely. So I tapped on an area of the carport and asked her to come. I was shocked when she complied. She was having a good time up on that carport. Just whistling and carrying on. Anyway I managed to get her to step up, which she did and I put her on my shoulder. We climbed down together as I talked to her. I couldn't get in to the house fast enough. Needless to say, sadly she got her wings clipped. I hope you are able to get your gray back. Don't lose hope.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I'm very much afraid that yesterday was my best chance to get him back, and I failed...

Twice I got to within one or two tree branches from him and he flew off.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
This must be an awful thing to be going through, but don't give up on getting Tusk back! I just read a story the other day about a CAG that made his way back to his rightful owner after several years. It hasn't even been a week. I'm sure even if you don't, someone will find him and get him back to you! Have you been putting up fliers? Or offered a reward? Sadly, a cash reward is often the best way to make someone who's found a lost pet do the right thing...

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
This must be an awful thing to be going through, but don't give up on getting Tusk back! I just read a story the other day about a CAG that made his way back to his rightful owner after several years. It hasn't even been a week. I'm sure even if you don't, someone will find him and get him back to you! Have you been putting up fliers? Or offered a reward? Sadly, a cash reward is often the best way to make someone who's found a lost pet do the right thing...

We put up 50 fliers at the time it happened. We did all that. That's how they knew to call us when he was spotted.

LoryLover

Jan 1, 2013
Southern California
Parrots
Chattering Lory, 18yrs old (Sweet Pea)
So sorry that Tusk is still out of reach. I've been in that situation a few times, and it's a helpless, scary feeling.

We've gotten our birds back by playing with their favorite toy within their sight - being patient and calm while doing this is the absolute hardest part. Birds are super curious and being out and about can consume their interest more than their interest in returning home.

Prayers that your beloved Tusk comes home to you real soon!!

Delfin

Banned
Banned
Jan 26, 2014
Media
Looking from outside the square I have noticed a number of things are happening. It seem that Tusk is so scared that he is having difficulty recognizing any of his flock and when something or someone gets too close the survival instinct kicks in and takes to flight to escape.

This something that would be very hard to do has you want your flock member back with you. But Birdman 666 When you find Tusk, you're getting too close too quick and because Tusk is in a heighten state of survival of him. He takes fright and flies away. Instead of climbing to within a couple of branches just sit down a little lower and talk to him, eat some of his favorite foods and maybe play some sound recordings of the flock, let him come to you which I'm sure he will when he comes back down from his heighten state and recognise you has part of his flock.

I can't say how long this will take but I have seen how much you love your flock and that love being return. You would sit in a tree for days because that's the commitment you have.

I hope that you are reunited with Tusk soon.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I canvased the neighborhood where he was last seen. We think we know where he is. He's back in a wooded area between an apartment complex and a subdivision.

Problem is there are other things in that wooded area. Sarah went back at first light, and swore he was whistling back to her, but when she started tromping through the tall grass, she suddenly heard rattling... and had to back away. We do have quite a few rattlesnakes in the area. In fact, a kid down the street was bitten by one a few years back. So, it's not a safe area to go tromping around in.

I went back last night, but heard and saw nothing.

I am going back tonight, and set up his cage with food and water in the back yard of a lady who lives at the edge of the woods. Hopefully he is close enough to see a familiar sight, and will come out for food and water.

I can now say I've done everything humanly possible to get him back. All I can do now is wait, and hope, and pray. And try not to kick myself...

I am worried sick, and depressed beyond words at the moment.

Last edited:

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Birdman - I am so sorry you are going through this. Well, actually, all of us are going through this with you. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and hoping that all turns out okay for you and your fid. You are such a good parront and we all know it and it just reminds us all that things can and do happen. Thanks for the update.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Just a suggestion and it might be stupid but, not sure how good there sense of smell is . I lost a dog once . At the suggestion of a friend I took one of my sweat shirts and place in the area he was last seen. Next day I found him asleep on it. I don't know as much as all of you about birds but , I don't think it would hurt much to put one of your tee shirts on top of the cage or inside .

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
You have quite a few rattlers, more like rattler central. I'm glad Sarah got out of there safe. I'm glad you've seen and heard him to know he's ok but at the same time it's bittersweet because you all were that close and couldn't get to him. I'd be a basket case and keeping up with your updates has lots of thoughts going through my head about Buddy.

There is no reason to kick yourself, you are a great parront, I reiterate. Since getting Buddy your comments and advice have mentored my learning. I love how you take your birds outside and they get their tree time, great parronting. I feel that Tusk will get home it's just a matter of when and how.

I had a thought, what if you were to record the flock and play the recording outside close to him? Like by the cage you are going to set up. Maybe the familiar sounds would attract him, spread the visual to hearing too.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah. Losing my bird is bad enough. My daughter bit by a rattlesnake?! On top of everything else that's going on in my life right now?! The bottom has dropped out from under me this year.

It honestly feels like the walls are closing in from all sides. I'm trying not to worry... but it feels like I'm hanging by my fingernails.

I don't know what sins I committed in that past life of mine, but they must have been pretty horrible...

I just get up and try and make it through my day anymore.

It's amazing how quiet my house is without Tusk. The birds also seem to be less active and a bit depressed.

Tusk was (is) my Alex. He was my conversational talker. He is an amazing bird... and a sweet, sensitive soul. It's amazing how much not just Sarah and I miss that little bird, but also some of our neighbors, and her friends.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Mark this isn't a result of sins or wrong doings, it's life and you are strong because you keep pushing through all the challenges you've been up against. Hang in there, you have many eyes out there looking. True story, our neighbors had a basset hound named Chloe. She got out and disappeared. Over a year after I had just gotten home, got out of the car and heard a hound baying. I looked towards the sound and saw nothing, but a few seconds later Chloe comes running around the corner baying. The neighbors weren't home so I coaxed Chloe into my house, fed her and gave her water. When the neighbors came home Chloe and I walked over. Everyone was happy.

Your neighbors are watching, try to take comfort in all the support you have, it may not be immediately visible but it's there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts