Lost my congo african grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Mark, are there any known flocks of escaped parrots in your area? If so, might he have "joined" them for security and possibly be tracked accordingly?

Secondly, do you have any high-quality recordings of his vocalizations that might be played via a high-powered device if you come close? If not, or in addition, are there known audio clips of CAG ritualistic calls that he may find attractive?

I understand the lure of food must be powerful at this point, or perhaps there are indigenous sources in the San Antonio area that provide sustenance. This is where the "group flock" mentality may be so helpful to him.

bonita

Aug 30, 2014
Pennslyvania
Parrots
Paddy male 8 yr.old GCC Cuddlebug, Emmy female parrotlet RIP Buddy 20 yr. blue headed conure adopted 10/23 Paddy RIP 10/23
Dear Birdman, About the food and water I bet he at least found a puddle to drink from and something to knawe on my Emmy was a 1 ounce, year old parrotlet and she returned (2 streets over on a neighbors deck rail) after 2 days and nites. Don't give up your bird has weight on him as a resource and he's well trained .I will be praying again this afternoon. Best wishes stop kicking yourself ! Bonita

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Just want to support Mark here, there's no "safe" place in this world. Accidents happen everywhere, inside and outside. I lost a few of my birds indoors when they flew into walls and broke their necks... I was wrong to let their clips grow out? Cruel to clip them? No right answer. Accidents and mishaps happen...please be kind to yourself.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Word of warning! Domesticated birds should never be released into open spaces where the threat of predation by other animals (Hawks etc.) is always present. Don't do it!!!

KEEP THEM LOCKED UP INSIDE, IN CAGES, WHERE THEY BELONG?! BECAUSE GOD FORBID A BIRD GETS TO GO CLIMB AROUND AND PLAY IN A TREE... IT JUST ISN'T NATURAL!

WOULD THEY REALLY LIVE LONGER, OR WOULD IT JUST SEEM LONGER TO THEM...

I should have clipped. That was the answer, and where I screwed up... at least my answer. They need to get outside. I can see a genuine difference in personality when they don't...

All of my birds have had recall training. Two of them were skittish...

Tusk was one of those two.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Word of warning! Domesticated birds should never be released into open spaces where the threat of predation by other animals (Hawks etc.) is always present. Don't do it!!!

KEEP THEM LOCKED UP INSIDE, IN CAGES, WHERE THEY BELONG?! BECAUSE GOD FORBID A BIRD GETS TO GO CLIMB AROUND AND PLAY IN A TREE... IT JUST ISN'T NATURAL!

WOULD THEY REALLY LIVE LONGER, OR WOULD IT JUST SEEM LONGER TO THEM...

I agree 100%. Some bird are truly happier inside ( I know several who are timid and unhappy being exposed outside), but many relish in the joys of the great outdoors. I know theres a risk every time I allow Kiwi outside and that accidents do happen no matter how safe I try to make the experience. However, he would be a much less happy bird if he weren't allowed to take in the fresh air and sunshine and get a small taste of freedom every once in a while. We all have the duty to weigh the risks vs benefits for our individual birds, and make the decision about what is right for them as individuals.

Mark- By allowing your birds to hang out in a tree and experience what parrots would in nature, you have given them a fuller life than most domestic parrots will ever experience! This was an accident, it wasn't your fault, it wasn't Tusk's fault it wasn't anyones fault. I personally still feel he's out there and will be making his way back soon!

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well the good news is it rained here last night, so now water won't be too hard to find for the next few days. That should give him another week or so...

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Oh Mark, I am so so sorry to hear about Tusk. I really do hope that he comes back to you. It is still possible! And please don't blame yourself. Accidents do happen and you at least give your birds a chance to experience life outdoors and in a more natural setting for birds. Don't give up and my thoughts and prayers are with both you and Tusk. Hugs my friend.

bonita

Aug 30, 2014
Pennslyvania
Parrots
Paddy male 8 yr.old GCC Cuddlebug, Emmy female parrotlet RIP Buddy 20 yr. blue headed conure adopted 10/23 Paddy RIP 10/23
Dear Birdman, There was and old saying that seemed to be true for childless couples when they started adoption precedings they got pregnant. Just something I thought of. Bonita

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
[I personally still feel he's out there and will be making his way back soon!

I know he wants to come home. I know he wants to be found. I know he's trying to come home. Problem is, Tusk has no sense of direction. He's lost. The sightings have him going 180 degrees the wrong way. He's traveling further and further from home, instead of closer... which makes it harder and harder to look for him.

I can only hope...

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Hi there, no change? I hope you and your family are doing well. I know this is hard.

Mango121913

Aug 9, 2014
Ripley WV
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
I'm so sorry for this to have happened. But do realize, the things you have done for him in the past is going to have an impact on how he deals with this. You did right, in my eyes, by allowing him to experience the true joys of nature. Also remember how smart he is, this is what will come into play for survival. He will survive longer than you expect. Parrots are truly amazing creatures, and the species he is, is proven to be smart. I do believe he knows what you have done for him in the past, and that will be his driving force to survive. Keep your chin up, don't give up, I really think he will be found by someone, or you. I would really post more flyers as well.
Maybe even see if a local radio/news station may give you some help.
Prayers are always help to.
God bless, and watch over you both.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Got up at the crack of dawn this morning and walked the treeline again. NOTHING!

At this point, he's either moved on, or someone's got him, or he's dead...

No sightings since last Sunday. No visits to the food stations I set up. Not a thing.

I did get a call on my lost and found ad on Craigslist. Someone found a CAG. It wasn't mine though... so that's probably my only hope.

I'm very down...

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I'm so so sorry Tusk hasn't made it home:( I hope wherever he is that he's safe and healthy and still hoping he makes his way back to you.

alcmene

Jan 16, 2014
Alabama
Parrots
sun conure- Lucy
cockatiel- Mr Peabody
Found one!!! I've been scouring lost/found forums for you. Somebody near you posted finding a bird! PMing you the details. Crossing everything that it's Tusk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Oh no! Hope you are ok, and I hope your birds comes back safely. Have you looked around? Put on Facebook community?

I was just about to post such a suggestion! While not a big fan of social media, I wouldn't hesitate to harness the potential by creating dedicated pages to a missing pet and incentivizing with a generous reward.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I called him almost a week ago. It's a quaker...

robopetz

Dec 2, 2012
Hawaii
Parrots
Congo African Grey - Beemo, Sun Conure - Charlie, Lovebird - Benny, Zsa Zsa - Cockatiel, Poot - Red Vented Bulbul
So sorry to hear!. Just wanted to say that I am sending good vibes your way =)

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Thinking of you and your lost baby and praying for his safe return home!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts