Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Mark - I'm so sorry about your daughter.

She didn't get bit!

She heard the snake before she saw him, and had the sense to back away.

But needless to say, none of us are particularly anxious to go tramping through those bushes.

Around here when the bushes start rattling and hissing, you back off immediately!

Last edited:

bonita

Aug 30, 2014
Pennslyvania
Parrots
Paddy male 8 yr.old GCC Cuddlebug, Emmy female parrotlet RIP Buddy 20 yr. blue headed conure adopted 10/23 Paddy RIP 10/23
Dear Birdman, I have a suggestion it may seem a little off beat. I believe fervent prayer caused the neighbor boy to see Emmy after 2 days and nites and catch and return her. Perhaps set a time and get any prayers to go to work at the same time. I believe it could work. Bonita

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
So I made a snake stick, and tonight I braved rattlesnake country...

Nothing

I placed Tusk's cage, with food and water in both the upper and lower bowls in the back yard of a home near where he was last sighted. Hoping he will see it, and come down for food and water.

I have distributed about 100 flyers,..

I have now done everything humanly possible.

My gut feeling is that, at this point, it still isn't enough...

And my heart is breaking!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I am heart broken for you:( You do such wonderful things for your birds. I think Tusk will make his way home eventually. Such a well socialized and friendly bird is at some point going to get lonely, tired and go back to what he knows and trusts- humans. He is going to tire of being "free" and seek out a human for food, water, love and care. With all the fliers and things you've been doing to get him back, whomever he finds will find you!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I'm so sorry you're going through this nightmare right now, Mark :( I'm praying that Tusk returns to you soon!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Gee, Mark, I wish this hadn't happened. Sending warmest thoughts your way and hopes that Tusk is found quickly and returned home. :(

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Oh gosh, it is so heartbreaking! :( At least it's probably not that cold where you live, and he will not freeze during the night. I pray he finds his cage and goes in!
I dunno what kind of neighborhood you live in, but can you talk to your neighbors (as many of them as possible) to help you find him or even maybe form an "action group"? Flyers are great, but people might not pay attention to them.
I'd also get a landing net on a long stick - it might help to catch him. It sounds ridiculous, but you might also need to hire a crane truck to get him down from a tall tree (the one landscapers use). Please post any updates!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Mark, I've been following this thread, hoping with you and the rest of the Forum that Tusk will find his way home to you.

Don't beat yourself up over what has happened. Things happen sometimes. With our pets. With our children. Life happens. All you can really do is take the best care of them you can and hope for the best.

You've taken the best possible care of Tusk, and given him all of the love he could've hoped for. Of course you're going to worry, but don't add guilt and anger with yourself to the mix. You don't deserve that.

We're all pulling for you and Tusk, Mark. Stay strong and don't give up hope. We certainly haven't.

jbirge

Dec 9, 2013
Media
Montrose Colorado
Parrots
Double Yellow Amazon
Word of warning! Domesticated birds should never be released into open spaces where the threat of predation by other animals (Hawks etc.) is always present. Don't do it!!!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Word of warning! Domesticated birds should never be released into open spaces where the threat of predation by other animals (Hawks etc.) is always present. Don't do it!!!

I understand you come from a place of caring for parrots and their well being.

I hope you will take some time and read over birdmans other posts not related to the loss of his CAG. I think you will find he works with his birds at an advanced level above and beyond most parrot owners. Especially in regards to his birds being outdoors and I think you will see why this is not a typical case of a "inexperienced" parrot owner loosing their indoor bird. He is one of the more experienced members on here.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Very, VERY well said, April! I thank you for that. :)

@ jbirge: Please, there is no need to make Mark (birdman) feel worse than he already is. As April (kiwibird) has pointed out, please make sure and read the entire thread - thoroughly.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

I understand you come from a place of caring for parrots and their well being.

I hope you will take some time and read over birdmans other posts not related to the loss of his CAG. I think you will find he works with his birds at an advanced level above and beyond most parrot owners. Especially in regards to his birds being outdoors and I think you will see why this is not a typical case of a "inexperienced" parrot owner loosing their indoor bird. He is one of the more experienced members on here.

Who got complacent... and that's the lesson here. In the blink of an eye... FYI he's been going out in that tree flighted and semi-flighted for five years now without incident. He's been going OUTSIDE since the day he came home. And no one can possibly kick me harder than I have been kicking myself...

Like I said. We put up 100 fliers, and posted on CL. I've walked the treeline - probably covered 15 miles or more in 3 days. I put up food and water stations in the area where he was last seen. And we placed his cage in the back yard of a person whose yard backs up to the woods where we suspect he is...

I honestly don't know that there is any more I can do.

Last edited:

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Mark you've gone above and beyond. Hang in there. You did nothing wrong.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Mark you've gone above and beyond. Hang in there. You did nothing wrong.

Actually I did... It was my own conceit that led to this.

I let everyone's wing clippings grow out. They were fully flighted and going out every day anyway. I honestly believed they were so well trained that nothing would happen.

It happened.

And I am afraid that now Tusk will die because of it.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Mark, not a single one of us are above reproach. We are human, we make mistakes and bad choices with the best of intentions. Most of our forum members know how much time and effort you put into giving all your birds the best possible life. I remember seeing a photo of tusk outside and thinking that he was the healthiest, happiest looking grey I'd ever seen. Quality of life is important too, and you've done that so well. You know your birds and you were relying on five years without a mishap, as you said, if you're guilty of anything at all, it was complacency, under the circumstances, I don't think a person among us can blame you for that.

You've done everything humanly possible to locate Tusk. Please don't give up hope. We are all hoping, wishing, praying with you for Tusk's safe return.

Last edited:

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Oh Mark - again, I am sorry. We all know you shouldn't beat yourself up but we also know that it's what we do. You've done so much for our fids and you will continue to do so.

How's the weather down there? It's rainy and cool up here - Maryland.

Has anyone heard or seen him lately?

Keep saying positive things.

bonita

Aug 30, 2014
Pennslyvania
Parrots
Paddy male 8 yr.old GCC Cuddlebug, Emmy female parrotlet RIP Buddy 20 yr. blue headed conure adopted 10/23 Paddy RIP 10/23
Any new sightings

:green2:Dear Birdman, Was wondering if there had been any new sightings? Just got with a friend to pray for Tusk. Bonita :rainbow1:

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I remember seeing a photo of tusk outside and thinking that he was the healthiest, happiest looking grey I'd ever seen.

He was!

Perfect feather. Huge personality. Full of joy and life. Fully cognitive. I had been using Dr. Pepperburg's training methods from the day I got him.

This was my Alex! That's part of what makes this so hard... That bird brought so much joy to my life, and he was the only cognitive talker I had left... that interaction that was so much a part of my life, is now gone.

And it's amazing. My house is pin drop quiet without him... Too quiet!

All this time, it was him. He was doing the other bird's noises all day long... they barely utter a peep unless something upsets them!

No sightings since about 6:00 Sunday night. He hasn't had food or water since Saturday afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts