Mt first parrot

WestTexan

Oct 9, 2011
Howdy all, I have been looking at getting a parrot for over a year now. Just was not willing to rush into this. I had talked to the small pet store owners that dealt with birds and read a couple of books on them. I had not however found the parrot for me. Last Saturday, I was not even thinking about parrots when my wife wanted to stop in the pet store near our house. She had just recieved an aquarium and was looking for fish. Naturally I made a beeline for the birds. There were two conures there, one was already sold but the other followed me everywhere I went. If I moved to one side of his cage, he would follow me. He chattered and chirped at me. I could almost swear he was telling me he wanted to come home with me. The owner said he was 5 months old, had been hand raised and hand fed, and had his feathers clipped the day before. In the end, I decided we were meant for each other. He stayed there for the week as she did not have any cages in stock. They were coming in on Wednesday. I figured that would work perfect for us. I went up there every day that I could and spent time with him so he could get to know me better. On Tuesday, he really liked my hat so the owner asked how attached I was to it. She hung my hat in his cage for him and he apparently likes it there.

We picked him up early this afternoon and brought him home. He seems to be adjusting very well. At the store, I had trouble getting him to step up, prolly more my fault and I tried my hardest to not pull my hand back but it was hard to do thinking how hard they can bite. Here at home, I open his door, he comes right to it, climbs up and then steps right up onto my hand. He loves running up and down my arm. I had thought about naming him Sunny but think that is #1 name for sun conures, than thought about Connie and figured that was too obvious too. Ended up naming him Corkey. All my other pets end up fitting their names perfectly, he probably will too. Anyway, here is a picture of him...
DSC00761_zpsed6f1c18.jpg

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Welcome to the forum, and to parrot parenthood, who we call "parronts". Many of us say, as you've found out, that they pick us. Enjoy your new companion.

birdpassion620

Jan 30, 2013
Media
Boston
Parrots
Male Pacific Parrotlet (Chuey), Female Canary Wing
Parakeet (Sweetie), and my mother's bird: Male Canary
Wing Parakeet (Petey)
I love the name Corkey. I'm so glad you did not choose Sunny. I have nothing against the name but have seen soooooooo many sun conures with that name already.

Sasha2

Mar 11, 2013
Midwest
Parrots
Sun conure , greencheek conure
What a great story, and a great looking conure.I would guess its a Sun right?
My very first Greencheek chose me very much like that from a petstore too.

tokensmom

Jan 24, 2013
Parrots
GCC...TOKEN
Great story...glad your little guy picked you...and you picked a more unique name.

Most Reactions

Latest posts