My Second Parrot ! Male Red Sided Eclectus :-)

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I think it sounds like you have fallen in love. Surely if he is coming out with his full vocab then he is happy and settled? Well done you!

Unfortunately not necessarily. Ekkies are notorious attention/closet talkers. They will do it if they are separated from their flock. So day one display of full vocabulary is likely them calling for their flock, uncomfortable in a new home.

It's remarkable to hear and does make you feel good. But it's not likely a happy and comfortable thing.

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
I think it sounds like you have fallen in love. Surely if he is coming out with his full vocab then he is happy and settled? Well done you!
I hope he is happy. He seems excited about coming out of his cage each day! I'm thinking that if I continue to make the recall session fun for him that he'll enjoy flying and associate it with good things.
He could be a little rusty flying and when his fitness and confidence returns, try stopping him?
He's lost a little weight but I expected that from reducing the amount of fatty seeds he was eating and increasing the fresh fruit and veg. He looked like a fat little duck when I got him home, so I'm hoping he's going to build some muscles from flying around and not loose any more weight.

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
He's absolutely beautiful! Congratulations on your new talented speaker, I'm sure he'll be a hoot! As for the minimizing flight distance, I think it's pretty natural for birds who don't have 100% confidence in flying. The "natural" flyers, if you will, generally just launch themselves because they know they can make it. Birds who may be apprehensive tend to lessen the distance. Shiko is my talented flyer, and he can even fly through small gaps in my tree stand. He'll launch himself from anywhere and fly confidently. Avery never properly fledged before I got her, so whenever I call her to me she tries to get as close as possible to reduce the amount of flying she has to do.

That being said, bigger birds may find where they're flying too small and feel better just hopping or walking. There's every possibility he's just lazy and realizes he can minimize his work, but from what I've experienced birds who are confident launch from where they are because flying is just so natural to them.
Thanks Dinosrawr, some great points there! I hope he's going to warm up to flying a bit more confidently in time.

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
He is beautiful! And quite the talented speaker! Congratulations on such a wonderful new addition to your family!

Violet_Diva, I'd told you in your introductory thread that I thought you have a natural affinity for working with birds. And you have proven me right twice over, now. Your handling of both ekkies' introductions to your household has been extremely well handled.

I look forward to seeing more pics of this little charmer and Bella both... and videos as well!
Thanks Anansi (Stephen!) - I must naturally be a 'bird brain' in the most complimentary way :D haha
There's been a few times when the squawking of one of them has resulted in the squawking of the other, so hopefully by Christmas they will be already partially accustomed to eachother before actually seeing eachother. If they get along, there's going to be some great festive photos of the pair! If not I might just need to photoshop!

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Such a cutie - so glad he's with you now!
Thanks PetoftheDay! His previous human was very caring. It's a shame she no longer could give him the time he needs. Hopefully he's pleased to be here and (fingers crossed) will be pleased to have a feathered friend here.

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Last edited:
OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots

Unfortunately not necessarily. Ekkies are notorious attention/closet talkers. They will do it if they are separated from their flock. So day one display of full vocabulary is likely them calling for their flock, uncomfortable in a new home.

It's remarkable to hear and does make you feel good. But it's not likely a happy and comfortable thing.
Thanks chris-md, that makes complete sense! I hope it helped him feel better that we were repeating things back at him. It did seem a bit unconventional at the time though - The parrot says something and then the human repeats it!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

You just described my entire relationship with Parker. He trains me to talk, not the other way around.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
He's lost a little weight but I expected that from reducing the amount of fatty seeds he was eating and increasing the fresh fruit and veg. He looked like a fat little duck when I got him home, so I'm hoping he's going to build some muscles from flying around and not loose any more weight.

How much weight has he lost, Violet_Diva? And over the course of how many days? And what was his original weight?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

How much weight has he lost, Violet_Diva? And over the course of how many days? And what was his original weight?

Parker experienced the same thing! He came to to me day 2 weighing in at 470 eating his fruit loops pellets. Got him on fresh food diet (thank you my friend!) and he's dropped down to 425g over 3 months. Pellet only really is junk for them

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots

Parker experienced the same thing! He came to to me day 2 weighing in at 470 eating his fruit loops pellets. Got him on fresh food diet (thank you my friend!) and he's dropped down to 425g over 3 months. Pellet only really is junk for them

I'm afraid I don't have an original weight to go by as I got paranoid about using Bellas scales and perch and wouldn't weigh him on them until I got a new customised perch to fit the scales (for his use only).
I'm only going by his appearance with regards to his weight loss. His chest looked a bit more pigeon-y when I first saw him, but I was so used to seeing baby Bella, so suddenly seeing this monster was a bit of a shock to my eyes and my 'arm-perch'!
He is around 400g or so at the mo. So I'm monitoring him to make sure he's staying at a steady weight. Also, because he previously ate more dry seeds he was drinking more water. It would seem that now he's on more fresh foods, he hasn't quite realised yet that he doesn't need to drink so much, so he has been passing more urine as a result of this increase in ingesting foods with a higher water content while continuing his existing habit of drinking. I will keep you posted on any further changes.

Lesson learned - Get a new perch for your bird scale before you get the new bird!

Last edited:
OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Tried giving him some different things today alongside his 'usuals' including Butternut Squash, Rambutan and Coriander. All went down well!
I've noticed he uses his foot like a hand when eating larger things.

A little unusual for an ekkie, very cute!

Last edited:
OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
UPDATE
Dexter is finally trusting me and it feels great! I can now hold him and lay him on his back in my hand! Something I saw his previous human do with him, but he just wouldn't allow me to before. I just worked on building trust with him, not pushing boundaries too far and hey presto! He's turning into a little green softie! He taught Bella her first word "Hello". Although I'd talk to Bella every day, it was only after Dexters quarantine was over and he was moved into the same room, that she started to talk. Unfortunately he taught her to squawk too!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Great update!!! Allowing you to lay him on his back in your hand is a major sign of trust in an ekkie! Most impressive! And now Bella's talking, too? Sweet!

Of course, we're going to need some updated pics of them both!

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Ask and ye shall receive...
By the way, we got a second java tree stand for the living room...

He's been molting some big feathers, but also seems to be going a little thin on top...

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Beautiful!!! He's looking great! Still awaiting pics of Lady Bella, though...

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella has something to say to Dexter...

[ame="https://youtu.be/n4D8yaBZd6k"]Female Vosmaeri Eclectus (Bella) says "Hello Dexter" - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Most Reactions