My Second Parrot ! Male Red Sided Eclectus :-)

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
Dexter has something he wants to show you...

[ame="https://youtu.be/HZ6543mR-cg"]Male Red Sided Eclectus Parrot (Dexter) playing basketball - YouTube[/ame]

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
Im too busy trying to study the toy array behind him...can you show us a still photo of what his setup is?

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
What amazing updates! Both of your ekkies look so beautiful and healthy! You're doing a wonderful job with them! And loved the videos!

BTW, I was looking back over this thread and was reminded of the prior weight issue. What is Dexter's weight, now? Is it holding relatively steady?

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Thanks Stephen! I'm hoping to get some better videos of them doing some actual tricks to upload, along with some recordings of their vocalisations.

A bit earlier on I could hear them 'talking' to eachother:
"Hello Bella"
"Woo"
"What'cha doin?"
"Come here Dexter"
"Giz a kiss" xXx
"Wha wa wa"
"Step up"
"Bella look"
"Good boy"
"Good girl"
"Hello"

They truly make me laugh!

Dexter is around 415g, I think I'd like him to weigh a little bit more, but I'm trying to build him up gradually. His weight is quite steady.

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Dexter is currently learning to put coloured rings on coloured sticks...
He's getting the idea, so it shouldn't be long before I can post a video of him doing it like a pro :-D He's got a lot of catching up to do with his Internet peers (yes I'm talking about you - Jasper & Salty!)

[ame="https://youtu.be/IhloMQOWDt0"]Dexter Learning To Put Rings On Sticks - YouTube[/ame]

StChelle

Apr 4, 2017
Louisiana
Parrots
Male Galah named Valentine; male red-sided Eclectus named Harlequin "Harley"; female red-sided Eclectus named Petra
Awww he's so cute and I'm so excited for you both!! My Harley is a red-sided too lol!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Go, Dexter! And you can tell he's really engaged in the activity itself. The action is the reward. (Not that he'd turn down a piece of cashew or walnut, of course. Lol!)

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Re: My Second Parrot ! Male Red Sided Eclectus :)o

Well it's been a long time since I've been on the forum, and a long time since I've added anything to Dexters thread, so here's a clip of him practicing with one of his toys!
(Sorry about the bad lighting)

[ame="https://youtu.be/ceqgpYKERW8"]Male Red Sided Eclectus Parrot (Dexter) practicing shape ring toss - YouTube[/ame]

In this clip, Dexter is working for a 'Tidymix Garlic Stick'.

In response to you Anansi - For some reason, Dexter isn't too keen on cashews, or walnuts... By "not to keen" I mean he will just spit 'em out at me like I've just tried to feed him mud!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!? Not too keen on cashews or walnuts? That's eclectus blasphemy! Lol!

Dexter is looking good! And rather regal in his bearing. What's his weight looking like, now?

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Yeah, he's definitely a bit of a weirdo!
His weight is around 430g at the mo, so he has gained a bit :)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Sweet! My red-sided maxed out at around 440g, so you've filled him out nicely!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Dexter can now push a trolley! Shame I can't get him to do shopping for me. . .

[ame="https://youtu.be/ZoXDcEkJsB0"]Male Red Sided Eclectus Parrot (Dexter) pushing a trolley - YouTube[/ame]

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Poor Dexter!
He just got his head stuck in a loo roll. So he looked like a weird mallet.
If it hadn't been such a pannic stricken moment I would've taken a picture as retrospectively it was a rather amusing sight. But at the time I was just trying to free him. He was panicking and so he was crying, but to cry he was opening his beak which just made him more stuck.

NOTE: Don't leave loo roll around - Fids can get their heads stuck

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Check out Dexter with his trolley! Love it! Especially after he stops and gives you that look, like he's saying, "C'mon, lady! You know I don't push these things for free!" Lol!

And poor guy! Thanks for both the comedic visual and the warning about the potential dangers of a toilet paper roll. Definitely good to know.

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
So Dexter seems to be getting along really well with Gerry. Occasionally they get a little overzealous and boisterous, but on the whole Dexter seems pleased with this new green friend!

Check out the bromance

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
That's great! You can never tell going in how 2 birds might react to one another, but THIS is exactly what we hope for. Beautiful!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Dexter just looking cute:

Sometimes he just has to look at me to make me smile!

Most Reactions