Nails

Emma21200

Apr 27, 2014
I think my conure is ready for a nail trim. Whats the best way to go around it? We are still building trust....he isnt comfortable with me touching his body just yet so a little stuck at how to do this. He wont stay still long enough on my finger to quickly do it.. Reasearched about toweling him but a little scared incase he looses all trust that we have.. Also scared incase i hurt him... Iv never done this before!

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.
There are perches that help trim their nails. I have a small cement perch located where my birds sleep, but I make sure I have softer perches to rest their feet later on. I also have an edible calcium perch to help with their beaks as well.
Placing the perch in a place where they're most active or where they eat works out great too.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
He has a good point but I would add some things. With proper perching your bird may never need a nail trim, but if he already needs it it cannot be ignored. I understand the trust issue. In general I am all for doing it yourself, but in this case, if you have a friend or two with bid experience it might be best to get them to do it if you trust them. If not. A groomer or vet can do it for a small fee, thereby postponing the need for you to do it until the rust is better established.

As far as perching, the edible perches, cement perches, etc are good. I prefer lava stone. Be careful though, because they can rub the skin dry on the foot, and even cause sores. If you have enough perches that are big enough that the claws hit the sides of the perch instead of the bottom, the nails should stay trimmed as long as the perches are rough natural wood. Btw, this describes the kind of perches your bird should be his anyway. The feet should not wrap around the perch at all, and the perches should. Never be dowel or smoothie wood if it can be helped. One rope perch high up for smelling is acceptable but not necessary, and the roughed perch should be placed either by the food or in your birds favorite spot.

Note about trimming, unless your birds beak is legitimately. Overgrown, NEVER get it trimmed! Some people, even some vets will suggest this and it is cruel, dangerous, and totally unnecessary. If your bird does actually have an overgrown beak, that is a sign of SERIOUS ILLNESS and needs the immediate attention of an avian vet, not just a vet who sees birds. In order to insure your bird does really need a beak trim, never allow it. To be trimmed. Y anyone but the vet who can diagnose and treat the underlying cause before getting it trimmed. I know you didn't ask about this, but often beak trims are promoted as what you should have done when you bring your bird in to have his nails done. Do. Not. Fall for this!

Best of luck, and bravo for being aware of both your birds physical and emotional needs.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Like EAI mentioned, mani-pedi perches get the job done for you & they even take care of grooming their beaks on it.....I just went to a big box pet store & picked up perches for the several cages we've got around here & most like this
SFB12002 Sweet Feet & Beak Safety Pumice Perch Small - PEDICURE PERCHES
curvy type, though I've got a non-conformist that refuses to get on a curvy perch & held out for a short, straight one..... PPP50180 Polly's Pastel Pedicure Perch King - PEDICURE PERCHES

Like SS mentioned, be careful of perches that are too rough, even though some birds like the textured top surfaces, the pedi perches should be smooth on the tops & bottoms & textured/rough/sandy on the sides, so that when they perch on them, they do their own manicuring/pedicuring.....with the exception of the one hard headed sun hen, all were perching on/using them the same day I installed them.....

Having them smooth on the top & bottom will allow you to turn them over for a different look.....

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
If your bird does actually have an overgrown beak, that is a sign of SERIOUS ILLNESS and needs the immediate attention of an avian vet, not just a vet who sees birds.

I have found with some of my rescues that it is not always a sign of a serious illness. It can be that, but it can also be that the upper and lower beak do not meet like they should and so the bottom overgrows. It can also be if the bird does not have access to things to chew on to help grind it down.
I have 2 birds with no illness whose beaks overgrow and need to be trimmed, which my avian vet does. They have both been checked for everything possible and are healthy.
I do agree that an avian vet should check your bird out if they have an overgrown beak to find out exactly what the issue may be.

Most Reactions

Latest posts