New Conure is not adjusting me well

X3Kimmie

May 17, 2013
New York
Parrots
Yellow-sided turquoise green cheek conure, cinnamon green cheek
Hi everyone! New to this forum. :rainbow1:

I have a couple issues with conures... I currently have a yellow sided green cheek named bowser. I bought him from a breeder in November when he was 4 months old. Great bird!! He adjusted to me instantly. Steps up and comes out of the cage on his own. He started talking in a week. Says a few words like his name.

Now, bowser is a loud bird the moment I leave the room. He cries until I come back. I felt bad after a couple months since I'm busy with work and school, so I decided to buy him a friend. I bought a baby cinnamon green cheek from a different breeder this time. Bowser and the new bird bonded quick. (I named him peach). Peach ALWAYS follows him, and gets upset if I take out only bowser. BUT the big issue is peach won't step up or let me place my hand anywhere near him before he flies away. Bowser still likes me and can be away from peach, but peach can not. I've been trying to get him to like me but he seems to not like me.

I actually can only get peach back in the cage if I put bowser on my arm and shoo peach to fly so he lands next to him. What can I do to help him adjust to me? Any tips I can use to help train the birds? Peach lets me feed him but will act slightly scared. He seems to be ok with my face but my hand is terrifying to him. Any way to help calm the screaming when I leave? Any help would be appreciated!!

Grinder

Jan 26, 2013
East Coast, U.S.
Parrots
Military Macaw - 'Lady",
GW Macaw - "Jazzy"
There are definitely a few people here that can give you a much a better an answer, but I will get you started since the forum sort of slows down Friday night thru the weekend.

The screaming - DO NOT return to the room while Bowser is screaming. You have reinforced the fact that he gets the reaction/ attention he wants when he screams. It will be hard - especially since you've already reinforced it, but ignore the screaming. Only return to the room when he is quiet or makes a noise that is acceptable to you. Reward the good noises and ignore the screaming.

How long have you had Peach? There are a couple of issues I can point out. The first - don't expect any bird to be like another. They are all individuals and will respond in their own way and in their own time. Bowser only had you so most likely bonded with you quickly. Peach has Bowser and may not need nor want you at this point. Unfortunately it is possible for him to bond with Bowser and not want you around. If it were me I would have had them in separate cages to start with. This may have given you a better chance for Peach to bond with you.

I wish you luck and hopefully more people here can give you further advice and direction.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Grinder's right about bonded birds preferring their own company to that of their human slaves.....it's a mistake many people make.....getting their bird a friend, put them together & then wonder why the birds start shying away from the human.....you should have fully established your relationship with each bird before letting them live together.....

The crying when you left the room is because you never trained the bird, never set boundaries or work with it to dissuade the screaming/crying when you were out of sight.....not to worry, almost every new parront does it by giving to much initial attention then when work school or other things interfere the bird doesn't understand why...it just knows it's not getting...ITS...attention & being a flock animal it does what comes naturally...screams/calls for its missing flock member.....

There is a lot of information on the internet about working with screaming birds & there are some videos on youtube.....we've got a couple of members around here that have a handful or more of links for various training methods.....they should be along & post accordingly......

Good luck.....

Most Reactions

Latest posts