Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
I personally wouldn't keep an OWA in an apartment because of how loud they are. You could definitely hear mine down the street. We had neighbors who thought someone in the house was being abused on a regular basis until they found out we had a parrot. Heh. With proper training there are ways to keep it to a minimum, but when they do make noise your neighbors will definitely hear it.

They are great birds however. Very easy going, fun, and playful. Mine loved to interact with and be handled by many different people. He only learned one word, but he loved to whistle.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
We had neighbors who thought someone in the house was being abused on a regular basis until they found out we had a parrot. .

I won't mention what the neighbors thought was going on when we first had Kiwi (and it wasn't the assumption someone was training a parrot to be quiet):eek::54:

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
We had neighbors who thought someone in the house was being abused on a regular basis until they found out we had a parrot. .

I won't mention what the neighbors thought was going on when we first had Kiwi (and it wasn't the assumption someone was training a parrot to be quiet):eek::54:

I've got a good one for you. I had Maggie out in the tree one day, and she wanted to be on my lap... and I wasn't picking her up fast enough.

So she did her FULL VOLUME macaw attention scream. PICK ME UP NOW!!!

I met my neighbor, who lives about TWO BLOCKS AWAY. He's from Brazil, and he could swear he heard a macaw, and was homesick, and decided to go looking for it...

He found it sitting on my lap!

I KNEW I HEARD A MACAW. MY WIFE SAID I WAS CRAZY...

dreamin_sqaw

Oct 19, 2013
Media
Hello and welcome.
I am a newer OWA owner too. Approx a year.

I got very lucky with the cage I have for Sammy. Around $700 for his cage but I was able to get it for $50 because a friend had it.
The website of Wayfair.com - Online Home Store for Furniture, Decor, Outdoors & More | Wayfair has come great deals on cages in my opinion. Hopefully some others on here have seen this as well.
Just select " pets " category then " birds" ...
I seen my cage on their site.
Hope this will help you out.

Sammy gets a Lil loud sometimes and I just put him in the cage and cover him for about 30 minutes. Comes back out and usually stays fairly quiet as far as the squawking goes. If he does do it again and I walk over he runs to the back of his cage out a reach. Aggravating but still I think its cute. Let's me know that he knows he is doing something I don't want him to do. Lol
Spend lots of time with your new fid From day one. I did that. Not just trying to hold and scratch his head but I stood in front of his cage talking to him a lot. He learns something new daily I think. He was not treated the best in his last home, ignored and alone in his cage. I was afraid he would not trust or bond with me but he did. He trust me completely now. He is very jealous/protective of me to. No one is allowed to touch me. ,( especially my husband lol )
Take your time with your new OWA but be firm where needed. I can tell Sammy a firm sounded " no " now and it gets his attention to stop whatever he is doing, usually squawking. You will love having yours. I sure do

Most Reactions

Latest posts