Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Looks like a sun to me. I have a sun conure and got him as a baby.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I have to say that there are SOME behavioral traits that many species of conures share (sometimes to different degrees). For example, most conures do have some degree of a 'cuddling nature'. They are also pretty expressive. But I've never encountered a situation where two birds (same species or not) exhibit all the same behavioral traits. The personalities are different. Just not always to the same degree. But pretty much EVERY sun conure owner (here on this forum and in other places) will describe personality traits the perfectly describe Skittles.

I've never owned a conure before Skittles. While I've owned birds for over 30 years, my experiences were limited to budgies and cockatiels (though I did have a lovebird once as well as a ringneck dove). I just think that "expecting" certain behaviors isn't a good thing. Experiencing them is one thing, expecting them is totally different.

I do think MUCH of the behavioral traits that they exhibit may be second nature to them, but much of the problems people encounter with conures are usually the result of improper training or lack of limitations/boundaries. Human error related I mean.

For example, I hear a lot about complaints about sun conure noise (not necessarily on this forum, but overall). Skittles is actually the 'quietest' bird I have ever owned and I've owned a LOT!

I strongly suspect that if Skittles were NOT free-flighted, he'd be a much noisier bird. I just hate caging him is all. If I am home and he wants out then I see no reason to keep him in his cage. He has just as much right to be free in my home as I am.

But do not be fooled, Skittles was NOT always like he is now. He used to be a spoiled rotten brat who never shut up. He drove me to the brink of insanity. But once I started setting boundaries and made some changes in how I do things to better accommodate his needs, things did a COMPLETE 180.

He still has his moments and his days. Just like us. Granted, I don't "let up" when he has those moments or days. I just keep it in mind when those things happen. But still pursue the limits and enforce the rules.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts