Sun Conure long nails?

2timer

May 9, 2011
Hi, I have 2 sun conures and I think I need to trim their nails. Whenever I hold them on my hand or arm my skin is left with red spots and I don't know what that is.

ANyone know what I'm talking about?

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
If you put the bird on a table, are any of the toes sticking up? If so, the nails need trimmed. I have never had any red spots on my arms though.

OP

2timer

May 9, 2011
I'll try the table and see if it does. The spots go away after a couple of hours.

erik7181

Jun 2, 2010
Media
Albums
NYC
Parrots
Sun conure
Pickle George
Green cheek
Pepsey
Yes that is from the nails being to sharp. you want to clip just the very tip, you dont want to cut them to short. Dont be afraid you'll never learn till you do it. Im not sure if thats what you were asking but yes it is from the nails

Keinanna

Jan 9, 2012
Parrots
Chewy ~ 3 year old green cheek conure

Toki ~ 2 year old Budgie
I get that from handling my dads macaw often if her nails are too long

something helpful if you are not used to cutting nails is to get some quickstop (i a not sure if that is the proper spelling) it is a powder that can be used to stop bleeding if you accidently cut too much and the nails bleed it can also be good if a blood feather falls out and is bleeding. I always keep some on hand as i do all my animals nails and occasionally accidents happen a sudden movement of the animal and you nick off a bit too much it stops the bleeding almost instantly.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
It sounds like they need a trim. If you're not sure how to do it, I'd take them to a professional first, at least to show you how.

It's getting to be that time for Puck. He's getting kinda sharp, lol.

ElisabethR

Jul 3, 2011
Definitely nail trim time. When I first got my conure, he had long and sharp baby nails -- my arms were bloody from him happily sliding up and down my arm. Ouch! :(

I agree with Remy about taking them to a professional the first time, they can be very, very squirmy! I can't hold Tuco down, I had to take him to my vet for his nails and beak.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I guess I should add that in the winter when I'm very dry, it's also cold so I'm wearing long sleeves. I'm lucky that Rowdy does her own nails. I haven't had to trim them for 11 years now. I used to use an emery board on my BC. I got her used to having them filed when she was a little baby, and I'd do that to keep the nails from being too sharp.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I used to have scratches all over my arms all the time, it really freaked out my mom.

Try a safety pumice perch. I love these perches so much, I no longer need to clip Rosie's nails and she no longer scratches me. It also takes away from possibly hitting a quick or if your birds get stressed out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts