Video: My neighbor and I just rescued this escaped ringneck from certain death!!!

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
Don't give that person that bird. It'll be up on craigslist within a few days. That person is 1 of 3 things, a scammer, not smart (3 years is a long time for a tame bird to live in the wild), or extremely hopeful. But clearly it's not their parrot

I'd take that bird, tough luck for your neighbour she clearly doesn't want to bother with it, I'd also advise getting him to a vet (maybe seeing the bill would change her mind) to get him checked for any issues and he may have gone to the same vet

I agree with you... I am not even going to bother calling that guy. The IRN we found is clearly not his anyway as it's a completely different color. I am calling vets now. I texted the woman last night around 7pm but she didn't reply which is strange... it is now almost 10am.

I WISH whoever had the IRN now was someone I didn't have to worry about keeping this IRN safe!!! He's stuck inside the tiny 17 inch travel cage... how long can IRN be kept n tiny cage like that???

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Well done Juliet, what a to do. Good job with rescuing him and keep an eye on the 'used to sit an african grey lady'?

Wait with the larger cage, IMO. Bit of a thing with having to do a quarantine 30/40 days unless you have a friend who can do that for you?

I don't have any friends, literally, not joking! LOL. I'm a bit of a loner and just spend time with 'Nut and Rascal and work online trying to get my new business going... and my mom hates animals but I think I might be able convince her to keep the IRN for about two or 3 weeks.... but not if the IR is too noisy (I'm referring to if the IRN is screaming very loud often... not if he's just chattering away) my mom would KILL me... and the bird :eek:

My mom also has NO idea how to care for a bird but my mom lives in my old house now which has been bird proofed so at least he would not fly into the window.

Would it be SAFE for me to keep this IRN in my larger spare cage in the master bedroom with the door closed???

This spare cage is so heavy it would be impossible for me to even get it to that woman's house... she lives in my neghbordhood 2 minute walk away fro my condo but I can't trust anyone who does not want to acknowledge it is a MUST that the sliding glass winow is not exposed!!! :eek:

I have had my fair share dealing with head injuries... it's a life or death matter and this woman has demonstrated she sees no problem at all with having her sliding glass door exposed.

If there is nothing else available J, then it's a case of what choice? You will need to be very strict with yourself, showering/changing clothes, hygiene practices in general but sure you could do it. Be easier to do it at mum's if possible. Well if this little one's folks are not found he has a great new mom in the wings I think? :)

The neighbourhood woman could be answering cruelty charges if anything happens to this little one, just for the sake of not listening.

Last edited:
OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Well done Juliet, what a to do. Good job with rescuing him and keep an eye on the 'used to sit an african grey lady'?

Wait with the larger cage, IMO. Bit of a thing with having to do a quarantine 30/40 days unless you have a friend who can do that for you?

I don't have any friends, literally, not joking! LOL. I'm a bit of a loner and just spend time with 'Nut and Rascal and work online trying to get my new business going... and my mom hates animals but I think I might be able convince her to keep the IRN for about two or 3 weeks.... but not if the IR is too noisy (I'm referring to if the IRN is screaming very loud often... not if he's just chattering away) my mom would KILL me... and the bird :eek:

My mom also has NO idea how to care for a bird but my mom lives in my old house now which has been bird proofed so at least he would not fly into the window.

Would it be SAFE for me to keep this IRN in my larger spare cage in the master bedroom with the door closed???

This spare cage is so heavy it would be impossible for me to even get it to that woman's house... she lives in my neghbordhood 2 minute walk away fro my condo but I can't trust anyone who does not want to acknowledge it is a MUST that the sliding glass winow is not exposed!!! :eek:

I have had my fair share dealing with head injuries... it's a life or death matter and this woman has demonstrated she sees no problem at all with having her sliding glass door exposed.

If there is nothing else available J, then it's a case of what choice? You will need to be very strict with yourself, showering/changing clothes, hygiene practices in general but sure you could do it. Be easier to do it at mum's if possible. Well if this little one's folks are not found he has a new mom in the wings I think? :)

I think I could convince.. or force (LOL)... my mom to keep him for about two weeks.. would that be better than nothing? Then I could keep him in my spare bedroom in my condo with door closed. Is a changing my shirt/shorts and if I wear socks on my hands enough protection without me having to shower every time after I touch the IRN??

I honestly suspect the woman who has the IRN now... I have feeling she might want to keep the IRN for herself if the owner is not found... I think I recall she said exactly this. I would make sure this IRN gets good happy home and find him good owner. I could foster him until then.

I am about to send her a text to let her know where I posted about the brid being found and to politely suggest to her that 17 travel cage I lent her is far too small for an IRN to be kept in for longer than a couple of days and that he needs to at least be let out of that tiny cage every so often but this cannot be done unless she simply pulls the vertical blinds to bird safe that exposed glass window... I KNOW she is NOT going to cover that window though is the problem!!!

I am freaking out here... I laid in bed worrying about this IRN.... and all because of the exposed window issue and him rotting in tiny 17 cage but the exposed window issue is serious!! :( She also feeding the bird saltine crackers which are loaded with sodium. OMG.

Last edited:

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
The neighbourhood woman could be answering cruelty charges if anything happens to this little one, just for the sake of not listening.

good point here by plum and maybe just maybe a little tool you can use against this woman. Keeping a bird in too small a cage is considered animal cruelty. I'd inform her that she needs to either change her outlook on him and improve things, give him up to you to find his owner (is she even looking? Or has she decided he's her pet now? the latter would constitute theft) or face charges of animal cruelty

Or of course you could say you found the ringneck's owner? Have someone go over, be all adoring of him ETC then get him to your house

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.

If there is nothing else available J, then it's a case of what choice? You will need to be very strict with yourself, showering/changing clothes, hygiene practices in general but sure you could do it. Be easier to do it at mum's if possible. Well if this little one's folks are not found he has a new mom in the wings I think? :)

I think I could convince.. or force (LOL)... my mom to keep him for about two weeks.. would that be better than nothing? Then I could keep him in my spare bedroom in my condo with door closed. Is a changing my shirt/shorts and if I wear socks on my hands enough protection without me having to shower every time after I touch the IRN??

I honestly suspect the woman who has the IRN now... I have feeling she might want to keep the IRN for herself if the owner is not found... I think I recall she said exactly this. I would make sure this IRN get good happy home and find him good owner. I could foster him until then.

I am about to send her a text to let her know where I posted about the brid being found and to politely suggest to her that 17 travel cage I lent her is far too small for an IRN to be kept in for longer than a couple of days and that he needs to at least be let out of that tiny cage but this cannot be done unless she simply pulls the vertical blinds to bird safe that exposed glass window... I KNOW she is NOT going to cover that window though is the problem!!!

I am freaking out here... I laid in bed worrying about this IRN.... and all because of the exposed window issue and him rotting in tiny 17 cage but the exposed window issue is serious!! :(

J, no not really to do it properly it would be a strip down, clothes in the washer and you in the shower. Seriously hope he is healthy but you do not want to introduce a pathogen to the tiels?

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots

I honestly suspect the woman who has the IRN now... I have feeling she might want to keep the IRN for herself if the owner is not found... I think I recall she said exactly this. I would make sure this IRN get good happy home and find him good owner. I could foster him until then.

I am about to send her a text to let her know where I posted about the brid being found and to politely suggest to her that 17 travel cage I lent her is far too small for an IRN to be kept in for longer than a couple of days and that he needs to at least be let out of that tiny cage but this cannot be done unless she simply pulls the vertical blinds to bird safe that exposed glass window... I KNOW she is NOT going to cover that window though is the problem!!!

I am freaking out here... I laid in bed worrying about this IRN.... and all because of the exposed window issue and him rotting in tiny 17 cage but the exposed window issue is serious!! :(

J, no not really to do it properly it would be a strip down, clothes in the washer and you in the shower. Seriously hope he is healthy but you do not want to introduce a pathogen to the tiels?

OMG no I would DIE if something happened to my tiels. He looked healthy but I know that means NOTHING as birds don't show it until they are knocking on deaths door. If I could take my big spare cage and keep him at my mom's house for 3 weeks I would fee more comfortable.

I HOPE the real owner comes forward soon!!! :34:

I live in a super large large gated community with there are tons of communities with the community if that makes sens and there are only 2 entrances to get inside.

I posted in the LOST/FOUND section for this massive community which has houses, condos, apartments etc. Everyone who lives here knows about this LOST/FOUND section where I posted about the bird. Whoever lost this bird lives in this community I guarantee it.

.. and the first place to look is where I posted!... but the owner has not replied... so maybe I should buy a huge sign and put in near the 2 entrances???

Those signs kind of expensive :( ... but I have no choice.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Birds when they feel the air in their wings can go a long way and looking at how hungry he was my guess from much further away.

Work on the cage to your Moms for now.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots

good point here by plum and maybe just maybe a little tool you can use against this woman. Keeping a bird in too small a cage is considered animal cruelty. I'd inform her that she needs to either change her outlook on him and improve things, give him up to you to find his owner (is she even looking? Or has she decided he's her pet now? the latter would constitute theft) or face charges of animal cruelty

Or of course you could say you found the ringneck's owner? Have someone go over, be all adoring of him ETC then get him to your house

That totally crossed my mind.... I'm trying to look out for the IRNs best interest and my intuition says he is not safe. This is why I'm stressing about this bird.
I'm going to buy 2 huge signs and put them near the entrance to the gated community where I live... then I am going to text the woman to feel out where her head is at... I am kind of nervous to see how she reacts :02:

The sad part is I just changed my cell number because I was constantly getting blasted nonstop with telemarketers and scammers even though I am on the DO NOT CALL LIST and I was planning to never give out my new cell number again to people I don't know and now my number is going to be on a street sign with thousands to see LOL Oh well.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
have you got a block caller/number function on your phone? Anything unknown dont answer the call (after this episode of course) google the number and then block it!

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Birds when they feel the air in their wings can go a long way and looking at how hungry he was my guess from much further away.

Work on the cage to your Moms for now.

Thats what I kept telling the woman who has him now :)

The community where I live in is beyond massive though you can see here:
PGA National Map | Palm Beach County Real Estate | Jeff Lichtenstein's Blog

I was wrong... I forgot there are 3 entrances to get in... it's over 2,000 acres big. I am almost positive the bird came from someone who lives in this community. It's beyond massive... golf course resort... it's not a normal size gated community.

Last edited:
OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
I am about to send the woman the following text:

Good morning, how is he doing? (I then followed to show her all the places I posted about the bird)... followed by...

If the real owner does not come forth in the next day or two the IRN (Indian Ringneck) REALLY needs to be placed into a larger cage as the tiny 17 travel cage he’s in right now is far too small for an IRN. I have a spare bird cage which would be far more suitable for him. The cage weighs about 100 pounds it’s very heavy. Here’s a pic but for the well being of the bird he really does need to be in a larger cage if the real owner doens’t come forward soon.

PLEASE PLEASE I know I’ve said this many times already but PLEASE make sure if you let the bird out of the cage that your sliding glass window has the vertical blinds covering it. Even though your blinds are broken I easily made the window bird safe with the vertical blinds. It does not matter how slow or how fast the bird is flying around… having an exposed window like that with NO covering on it at all is FATAL to birds and a huge NO NO. Such (head trauma) is always very dangerous (even results in death). Birds who accidentally fly into a window suffer head trauma needing be urgently hospitalized until they are stabilized and the continuing swelling of the brain tissue stops. Unless that porch sliding glass window is covered he cannot be allowed out of the cage.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
911 parrot alert replied:

Message: Hi, my name is Jamie and I'm with 911 Parrot Alert,

How is the little guy doing? Please don't allow him to gorge himself on dry food i.e. seeds and/or pellets. Hydrate first with water and wet fruit and/or veggies or seeds soaked in water. Allowing him to eat only dry food at first will dehydrate him more.
Thank you for taking care if this bird and trying to find his family. Please be careful because there will be people who will "want" "claim" or to "foster" the bird. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Please get an urgent lost or found message posted asap to:
nextdoor.com (USA), nextdoor.co.uk (UK), and goneighbour.org (Canada). This is a free app and will allow you to connect with your neighborhood.

more resources 911 Parrot Alert's Resources for Lost & Found Parrots

Also, if you need any fliers prepared they can be made directly from the link below. These fliers can be both printed and shared to other lost and found facebook pages
911 Parrot Alert's Resources for Lost & Found Parrots

I've posted the bird on our FB page, please come and join us there so you can monitor any posted lost birds in your area.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/911parrotalertofficial/

I also had someone reply to my community nextdoor neighbor thing saying their friend lost a bird so I called them back and left voicemail. They MUST tell me what type of bird they lost... or else the are scammer.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
Deep breathes!

Although not great he's safer than he was. Try talking to the woman without stating fact or accusing her. Ask her if she has ever kept parrots as pets, I'd let a lot of people look after a bird whilst I was out of town for a day or 2, a very small amount would be entrusted as a new parront. She's clearly coming for a good place with wanting to look after the bird but she's uneducated which makes it harder. But she does need to know the law when it comes to the situation and how she may have just got a free bird but nothing else about them is free

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Deep breathes!

Although not great he's safer than he was. Try talking to the woman without stating fact or accusing her. Ask her if she has ever kept parrots as pets, I'd let a lot of people look after a bird whilst I was out of town for a day or 2, a very small amount would be entrusted as a new parront. She's clearly coming for a good place with wanting to look after the bird but she's uneducated which makes it harder. But she does need to know the law when it comes to the situation and how she may have just got a free bird but nothing else about them is free

She has never owned birds before... she told me she babysat her friend's african grey. I try to educate her but she refused to cover the window so for the bird's safety I HAD to walk over to the window and cover it myself (the bird was loose in the living room while all this was was happening flying all over the place as we were trying to catch him to put him inside the cage!! yet she still refused to cover the window!!!... ironically he ended up eventually walking himself into the cage since I mentioned to her to keep the food ONLY inside the cage as then he will want to go in). I made the window bird safe but then she refused to keep it that way... for NO reason at all either... you could still see outside perfectly clear. The vertical blinds did not affect outside visibility.

I know 100% she going to have the bird loose inside her condo with that big sliding glass door exposed.. trust me... if you were there with me you would understand what I mean. This infuriates me. I don't understand some people have no common sense. I've dealt with head injuries (nothing gets more serious than that) and to see someone be so careless about it is highly upsetting.

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
J, is there any chance of getting this little fella to a vet with a scanner in case he is micro chipped?

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
J, is there any chance of getting this little fella to a vet with a scanner in case he is micro chipped?

That's a good idea... I will ask.

The woman just called me... she posted about the bird in the same place LOST/FOUND section I did! LOL

She is trying to find the real owner. I again spoke to her about dangers of the exposed window and I think I finally got through to her. She reassured me she will cover the window when she lets the bird out she also told me to not tell people what type of bird it is that we found... so she knows about scammers out there.

She is actually a VERY nice lady... just that the exposed window thing freaked me out! I think she understands now how serious it is. She told me she didn't know and is happy I educated her on it. I told her how the bird might look fine after it hits the window but there is a very short 24 window if there is swelling in the brain and it's not reduced in the emergency clinic birds can easily DIE after hitting the window if not rushed to a clinic from a concussion.

I can tell she really does want to help this bird and do what is best for him. I feel less stressed now :D

I also told her the 17 inch cage is way too small for him and she agreed to move him to bigger cage if real owner does not come forward in the next 3 or 4 days???? How long to wait before using larger cage???

I can see the bird later today... right now I am emailing HOA as the HOA lady here is very nice and maybe they have ths bird on record since HOA requires you to register your pets... but I doubt this baby bird will be registered... but it doesn't hurt to try.

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
See what tomorrow brings Juliet? If nothing then maybe put the cage move to Mom's in action, once it is there what reason is there for the bird to stay cooped up?

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
See what tomorrow brings Juliet? If nothing then maybe put the cage move to Mom's in action, once it is there what reason is there for the bird to stay cooped up?

Good idea... the woman has the bird outside of the cage right now it's sitting on her shoulder she texted me pics. I REALLY hope she has the vertical blinds drawn closed to make the sliding glass door safe!!! She said I can stop by and see the bird anytime. It's almost 1pm and I haven't eaten anything at all today yet not even breakfast I've been nonstop preoccupied with this IRN!

HOA replied and they forwarded the news about lost parrot and they will get back to me if they find out anything... I'll know more soon on how to proceed with next step.... I'll go see the bird later today... I'll change my clothes and shower when I get home.

I'm hoping a miracle will happen the the real owner will come forward... like within the next couple of hours! :34:

Most Reactions

Latest posts