Video: My neighbor and I just rescued this escaped ringneck from certain death!!!

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
The woman says the IRN is very clingy and loves attention. It's obvious the real owner showered it with attention. The woman has 2 days days off work right now and is showering bird with attention so at least he's not cooped up for the time being... my mom HATES pets... so at this moment bird is OK where it is right now (IF window is not exposed!!!). I will know more later today :D

She named the bird Romeo LOL... since I'm Juliet she named him Romeo ;)

... now I have to run to Chipolte to get some food... I need a tiny break!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
The woman says the IRN is very clingy and loves attention. It's obvious the real owner showered it with attention. The woman has 2 days days off work right now and is showering bird with attention so at least he's not cooped up for the time being... my mom HATES pets... so at this moment bird is OK where it is right now (IF window is not exposed!!!). I will know more later today :D

She named the bird Romeo LOL... since I'm Juliet she named him Romeo ;)

... now I have to run to Chipolte to get some food... I need a tiny break!

Wonder what's coming next?

Rest easy if he is getting out of cage time and seems happy enough.

Tsali

Jul 22, 2016
Parrots
Tsali - African Grey- I am a one parrot parent. It's a full time job keeping Tsali healthy and happy.
Many pet stores and stores selling pet food have a lost/found bulletin board. Posting a "found bird" notice with minimum details would get the word out and the real owner should be able to positively identify the little one.

Also, many local radio/tv stations will do a "found pet" segment as a public service. Once again, only provide basic information - the real owner should be able to positively identify their bird. If they can't, they don't deserve the precious little IRN.

Keep up the good work!!

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Many pet stores and stores selling pet food have a lost/found bulletin board. Posting a "found bird" notice with minimum details would get the word out and the real owner should be able to positively identify the little one.

Also, many local radio/tv stations will do a "found pet" segment as a public service. Once again, only provide basic information - the real owner should be able to positively identify their bird. If they can't, they don't deserve the precious little IRN.

Keep up the good work!!

The problem is that on this website forexample it lists that it is a ringneck that was found... FOUND lost parrot in Palm Beach Gardens, FL - 911 Parrot Alert

...also on this site: https://m.facebook.com/groups/19247...ent_id=1106719339458564&ref=group_header&_rdr

I am concerned because how on earth is someone going to be able to PROVE it's their bird???? :(

One of the above sites forces you to identify the the type of parrot... shouldI be worried about that???

Thanks

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
I finally ate lunch. The lady texted me she said she's fine she understands bird needs bigger cage and then said she thinks the IRN would love to have my tiel as a playmate in the bigger cage and she just hopes she can visit him from time to time. OMG! LOL not good. When I see the IRN later I'll let her know in person that you can't mix different species of birds like that in the same cage the IRN could easily KILL my tiel! Sure they would love singing back and forth to each but they cannot be buddies in same cage.

I'll try and print some stuff out online for her to read including list of foods that are toxic to them... it's clear she wants what is best for the bird but is not experienced. She also does not understand the IRN cannot be near my tiels and that birds must be quarantined. I will again explain to her birds do not show illness like humans do until they are knocking on deaths door.

I'm about to head to Home Depot to buy signs to hang near entrances this massive development where I live there are 3 entrances and I'll cover all 3. People are going to scream and honk at me while I am pulled over trying to tape the sign on the pole LOL

I don't even know where it's allowed to put signs like this I have no idea what I'm doing :eek:

EDIT: I am holding off on bringing bird to my mother's house for now as my mom is a last resort, trust me on that one. It's not off the list of course but not ready yet... I''m hanging street signs today and I see what tomorrow brings...

Last edited:

Tsali

Jul 22, 2016
Parrots
Tsali - African Grey- I am a one parrot parent. It's a full time job keeping Tsali healthy and happy.

Keep up the good work!!

The problem is that on this website forexample it lists that it is a ringneck that was found... FOUND lost parrot in Palm Beach Gardens, FL - 911 Parrot Alert

...also on this site: https://m.facebook.com/groups/19247...ent_id=1106719339458564&ref=group_header&_rdr

I am concerned because how on earth is someone going to be able to PROVE it's their bird???? :(

One of the above sites forces you to identify the the type of parrot... shouldI be worried about that???

Thanks

I m not talking about websites - I am talking about posting a paper notice on a bulletin board in a brick and mortar store like Pet Smart, Petco, TSC, and specialty stores that sell high quality pet foods. Almost all of them have bulletin boards that you can post lost/found notices.

If you post only that you found a "pet bird" someone who lost an IRN could easily say that they lost an IRN and provide details about coloring, etc. There is no 100% guarantee, but of all of the different types of birds chances that an impostor would guess the right species would be rather slim. You could also carefully examine the bird for any identifying characteristics, words that he says, markings, etc. that would positively identify him/her.

I can guarantee, 100% that if Tsali was lost I could properly identify him to anyone over the phone so that they would know, beyond a shadow of a doubt that we were a bonded pair. If the owner's of the IRN can't do this, they don't deserve him/her.

It's like a mother -- she KNOWS her children and can positively identify them sight unseen.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots

Keep up the good work!!

Thanks good idea!!! I am totally doing that today too :D

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots

Keep up the good work!!

Thanks

I m not talking about websites - I am talking about posting a paper notice on a bulletin board in a brick and mortar store like Pet Smart, Petco, TSC, and specialty stores that sell high quality pet foods. Almost all of them have bulletin boards that you can post lost/found notices.

If you post only that you found a "pet bird" someone who lost an IRN could easily say that they lost an IRN and provide details about coloring, etc. There is no 100% guarantee, but of all of the different types of birds chances that an impostor would guess the right species would be rather slim. You could also carefully examine the bird for any identifying characteristics, words that he says, markings, etc. that would positively identify him/her.

I can guarantee, 100% that if Tsali was lost I could properly identify him to anyone over the phone so that they would know, beyond a shadow of a doubt that we were a bonded pair. If the owner's of the IRN can't do this, they don't deserve him/her.

It's like a mother -- she KNOWS her children and can positively identify them sight unseen.

Thanks good point. I know what you mean... I know every single feather on 'Nut and Rascal along with how their white markings are on their heads! 'Nut also has bigger eyeballs than Rascal's beady little rat eyes.

Tsali

Jul 22, 2016
Parrots

Keep up the good work!!

Good Luck, Sweetheart. I am a one bird family and always will be so I don't know about safely introducing a new bird into your home. However, it sounds like little Romeo would have an ideal home with you. If you can quarantine him and keep your two 'teils safe - then please think about it.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots

Keep up the good work!!

Good Luck, Sweetheart. I am a one bird family and always will be so I don't know about safely introducing a new bird into your home. However, it sounds like little Romeo would have an ideal home with you. If you can quarantine him and keep your two 'teils safe - then please think about it.

Thanks. Even though having 3 birds right now is definitely NOT on my plate I do work from home all day long. I am literally home 24/7 asides from when I go to the gym so if he has no other safe place I will gladly foster him for as long as I need to and until I am very confident there is someone out there who can give him a happy healthy home... Romeo would have a safe place with me in the interim ;)

I'll know more by tomorrow and work out the quarantine issue somehow.

But I am worried what if once enough time passed and I know he doesn't have any infectious conditions... how do keep my tiels safe from an IRN?

I know tiels and IRNs can be kept in one house but if I was forced to keep my tiels locked in the cage just to have the IRN outside of the cage that would not work out... at least not as permanent thing in the long run.

What if I ended up owning an IRN and he decided to sit on my tiels cage when my tiel is also sitting on top of the cage that scares the crap out of me! :eek:

I'm not giving up yet... I have tons of street signs I'm hanging up today... AND cards at all the pet supermarkets around here about having found a lost parrot!!

He really is such a sweet IRN though.

I'm going to use bright neon pink or green signs so the signs can be seen a mile away LOL

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Take it slow J, one thing at a time. Yes can see your concerns though. Perhaps another thread in time asking for help with getting to know what Ringies are like mixing with others.

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
What Plum said - don't stress it :)
Are your tiels flighted?

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
What Plum said - don't stress it :)
Are your tiels flighted?

'Nut is fully flighted and Rascal is partially clipped as 'Nut cannot handle Rascal's crazy ways as Rascal tends to have night frights during the day which set off 'Nut into panic mode too because as you know if one bird panics it sets the other one off. Rascal can still fly across the house for exercise and can fky quite well still but he can no longer harm 'Nut by flying numerous circles in panic mode at lightning speed. I do not believe in clipping birds wings for their health and crucial exercise... clipped birds are just as prone to get seriously injured etc as unclipped birds. I believe in bird proofing the house not bird proofing the bird. I just use common sense: secure bird whenever you cook or open a door/window and harness when being taken outside.... but I am already exhausted do not wish to get into any discussion about clip vs not clip been there done that and I am already worn out I have been running around all day today because of this IRN!! :34: :eek: :)

I was stuck at the office store for over 40 minutes getting signs printed... running back and forth to Home Depot buying signs soaked... and I mean drenched in sweat from this killer florida extreme muggy humidity... making the signs etc... I literally spent the entire day on all this and I am worn out!

The odd thing is that if I lost my beloved bird I would have had 5,000 signs up all over the place about my LOST bird... but I see NONE. So either the oowner doesn't care or this bird flew from very far away??? ... but I don't see any post about missing lost ringneck that fits this bird either....

I have several signs made now... some I have to finish tomorrow.... tonight I will tape a couple to the pole near the grocery store/gated community where I think the owner MIGHT be seeing it...

... but I have a strong feeling I am putting in a LOT more effort and work than the person who let this bird fly out the front door. For 2 eentire days now I been working focusing nonstop on this bird. HOPING the outcome will be OK!

Last edited:
OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
I just visited Romeo (IRB) and she FIXED the exposed winodw completely. It is perfect. The bird will not fly head first into the window she did great job!!! :D

Last edited:

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Don't worry, I hear ya! My tiel and IRN's are out at the same time, because the tiel is a super competent flier. The IRN's ....not so much. But if it all gets too much, the tiel can go elsewhere.

Katu

May 27, 2017
GTA, ON
Parrots
Male blue budgie!
If someone does contact you, maybe you could ask them to prove via their avian vet that the bird is theirs. Just another idea. I would think a person would have pictures at the very least. I would have an entire dossier! :) Why can't the neighbour at least partially close her blinds? It's driving me nuts hearing about that.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
If someone does contact you, maybe you could ask them to prove via their avian vet that the bird is theirs. Just another idea. I would think a person would have pictures at the very least. I would have an entire dossier! :) Why can't the neighbour at least partially close her blinds? It's driving me nuts hearing about that.

Don't worry I just visited the IRN tonight (I just chnaged clothes and got out of the shower LOL) and I am impressed!!! She actually fixed the issue completely and she understand now how serious having is exposed earlier was.

She also told me she works all the time (she only had 2 days off these past 2 days and is going back to work tomorrow gone all day and said she is going to give me a copy of her keys so I can send time with the bird so he's not by himself and can get out of the cage) and that she feels sorry for the bird and would prefer the bird be with me since she knows I work from home every day and am home all the time and her friend who adopted an african grey... that african self plucks (self mutilates from being bored to death eyc) and she understands these birds need tons of attention she cannot give them.

She also told me she has no problem keeping the bird for as long I need him to be quarantined.

She has teflon cookware and had no clue that it is deadly to birds and was VERY thankful I informed her of this. She also did now know to NOT feed them avocados... I gave her list of toxic things... scented candles, bleach etc

She was very thankful to get all this information because she did not know.

I am dead tired now but tomorrow I will hand her all this info on paper si it's easier for her as well as links to safe cookware.

I am confident in her watching the IRN now. If owner is not found I will foster him once quarantine is over and then take it from there.

OMG this is going to be interesting... he is such a sweet bird.

... but I am glad he is with her now. She is taking good care of him now and fixed the issues :D

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots

Thanks that is great idea I will def do that!

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Don't worry, I hear ya! My tiel and IRN's are out at the same time, because the tiel is a super competent flier. The IRN's ....not so much. But if it all gets too much, the tiel can go elsewhere.

That's good news :)

'Nut is a super flyer as well but Rascal is partially clipped. Rascal is very used to getting chased away by 'Nut and he runs fast! They seriously hate each other LOL

I am also not against partially clipping the IRN of course if it means my tiels are more safe that way and it makes thing less stressful in the beginning. I am EXTREMELY unfamiliar with ringnecks so this should be interesting.

My concern is 'Nut because 'Nut is the boss around here and he bosses Rascal around growling at him etc and if 'Nut starts chasing and bossing a ringneck around that could be disaster. Rascal would be scared of the IRN so Rascal ain't causing any trouble with any IRN.

... but perhaps 'Nut is only like that with Rascal, who knows. I'm dead tired. I need to go back to one step at a time LOL... where is this bird's real owner!!!! I will see what tomorrow brings :)

Last edited:

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I wonder what has changed her mood?

noise, a bite or I wonder if someone had a bump on his noggin?

Still a couple weeks in quarantine then over to yours is pretty good

Most Reactions

Latest posts