Who says they don't understand

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Actually my BF did lol. He brought home Pizza last night. We order it about once maybe twice a month. Last two times I gave BB about a inch strip of the crust . I opened the back door as BF was coming up the stairs and Said pizza is here.
Well BB went insane. He let out a squeal that could only be matched by a 5 year old girl Started flapping his wings stretched out his leg and flexing foot in a give me give me NOW
BF said what the heck is wrong with him. I said you have pizza . He came in the house and laughed so hard ......... BB flapping bobbing and trying to grab...... As soon as he got his 2 inch of pizza he settled down and all you could hear was him saying ........ mmmmm hahaha mmmm mmmm hahaha.
Serious though BF up until that point did not realize he does understand. There was no way he could have seen the pizza or smelled it . He knew it was special treat time. Also BF gained a whole new respect for My feathered child . :D

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
What a cute story! Thanks for sharing! I cracked up at BB laughing while chewing.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Wait until your BF gets the "I can sense you're feeling down about something, so I'm gonna be goofy and try to cheer you up..." routine.

How do they know?! They're empathic. They sense things. So much of their language is non-verbal that they read us better than we read us...

Once that stuff starts?! He'll begin to fully appreciate what you're dealing with.

Especially with a bird like Tusk in the house...

Tusk's empathic and verbal abilities, and wicked smart sense of humor, can really mess with a person's head...

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
I had the flu two weeks ago ( yes I took the shot but that was for Stran B and A was going around ) Sick as a dog for a week BB was so sweet . I sat at the table eating soup when I finally felt better . Shared my Cracker with him he would just sit and watch me . Not one LOUD call the whole week its like he knew I could not play like I use to . Amazing Creatures .
Oh I also gave him some Juice . LOVED it

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
@ Birdman. I read your comment about giving him the pizza box. Come on now that would just be mean lmao

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Every day at mealtime even my little GCC goes NUTS over food. He peeps, chirps, and mumbles all the while and then snuggles into our laps for a good nap afterwards and preens whatever is closest to him! They are crazy smart...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
@ Birdman. I read your comment about giving him the pizza box. Come on now that would just be mean lmao

NOT IF THERE WERE A COUPLE OF PIZZA CRUSTS, AND SOME CHEESE STUCK TO THE INSIDE OF THE BOX...

THANKS MOM - BEST BIRD TOY EVER!!!!

Just sayin' why trash the box prematurely?! It's still a useful object.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Oh no! Big bird has discovered pizza. Good luck ever eating one in peace again lol:) The longer you have him, the more amazed you'll be at just how much he does comprehend. If you ask me, parrots probably understand a WHOLE lot more of what we say and do than they lead us to believe they do.

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
I agree 100% I know I am still amazed every day. CHEESE ? I did not think they could have it.

Good Idea. There are a few slices still left in the fridge. I guess he will have fun tomorrow. Its suppose to rain so Pizza box entertainment for the day. Will try to video him but every time I take camera out he acts like he is frozen LOL

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Parrots can have a little dairy, just don't overdue it. The question is more, do you want your parrot to know what dairy is? It's kind of like birdie crack:32:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
No.

My birds love cheese. Limited quantities of course. They can have a little bit.

Pepperjack seems to be the favorite. Just give them, like, half of one of those little cheese tasting squares.

When I have leftover grated cheddar, I'll sprinkle it over the bird's food, and just watch them go to town on it...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Parrots can have a little dairy, just don't overdue it. The question is more, do you want your parrot to know what dairy is? It's kind of like birdie crack:32:

Pepper Jack... birdie crack. Hey, it even rhymes... :p

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
I order pizza once a month as a treat to myself (Zilla thinks it's a treat for her) she goes crazy as soon as she hears the knock on the door! How does she know it's the pizza guy? I order online, so it's not a phone order she could over hear, she just seems to "know" somehow.

She gets about a 1 inch piece of the crust and savors every bite. I don't think one crumb hits the floor...LOL

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Yeah I have something new to feed him. Can't wait . Already texted BF who is off today the grocery list for BB LOL I worry about his feathers. They still look like crap around his neck. Someone told me they might be damage is the reason they are not growing back like they should. I see new ones now and then but still has the gray fluff there :( When he is in the sun the new feathers just shimmer but you can tell the old ones because of black spec's in them.
So plan on shoving Sweet potato into him more. Last one I tried he would not eat it.

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots

Actually I do lol. This poor fella had such a sucky life before . I want to give him every little bit of silly happy moments I can . Even if it is just a little cheese. :)
Don't worry I will not over due it and I love pepper jack cheese and know there is some in the fridge at home :D

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
As long as we're giving them new stuff.

Try a little taster spoon of orange or rainbow sherbert... watch his eyes light up when he licks that one.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
BizarroParrot2.jpg

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
LOL Yeah they do understand way to much i think.

Cool never thought about the orange or rainbow sherbert until I read your post about the ice cream shop TO FUNNY

Most Reactions

Latest posts