3.5 month gcc updates + Question :)

ILOVEKIWI

Dec 15, 2020
somewhere you'll never find me
Parrots
Kiwi GCC
Hello everybody Kiwi just turned around 4 months old :D So happy, had him for around 2 months and there are no problems thankfully! He's extremely active and adventurous and very smart he figured out how to open his cage door, so i had to fix that :rolleyes:. We got him plenty of toys to play with and he loves them :) He also LOVES to climb. And he likes to sit on top of his cage and watch me its hilarious :D. Very affectionate and greets me everytime he sees me and, he preens me and licks, and is more or less friendly to new people. He's just bursting with personality that I didn't see when I was little (of course he was a tiny little baby) He's a perfect lil boy and I'm so glad he's in my life. Anyways sorry to waste your time I just wanted to share.
Thank you :smile015:

Oh the only "problem" we deal with is nipping I don't mind it too much but I'm researching ways to stop it, and making sure I'm not doing anything causing it,
Advice relating to anything biting would be appreciated :)

PS: The only thing I'm doing is saying "no biting Kiwi" and walking away and he flies after me. I admit I'm lenient I don't do it every time, I just love him too much and don't want to hurt his feelings:D Stupid I know :p (Just to be clear I have never and will never shout at him/physically harm him) Should I continue to walk away when he bites?

PPS: If your confused about his age we are too:confused: Breeder said he was "around 1.5 or 2 months":06: (I'm leaning towards 2 months) Anyways it's not that big of a difference but thats ok. We think he hatched in september or october though

Last edited:

MelloYello

Jan 11, 2021
A galaxy far far away
Parrots
MelloYello-Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Awwww!! So adorable!
It sounds like you love him very much. Thank you for asking questions, that shows how much you care. Younger green cheeks can be a little nippy. They're feisty little boogers:D You're doing good with the walking away. I suggest not saying anything, as birds love getting a reaction. Whenever he bites, just turn your back and ignore him. Training and teaching tricks can also distract them to reduce aggression. Make sure to reward when he DOESN'T bite.
You're doing great! Have a lovely day!

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Conures tend to be nippy and you may never get it to stop completely. What you are doing is a good method to discourage it though. There are a lot of threads about how to deal with biting, here's a couple:
http://www.parrotforums.com/training/63988-bite-pressure-training.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/conures/50903-how-stop-biting-conure.html

I've tried about everything and Yoda still nips. It's usually for a reason though, so I've learned to avoid the triggers that cause him to bite.

For a little baby conure, especially THAT young, it could be that he isn't fully weaned. He might be trying to get you to feed him! (like a mama bird does, warm formula not just pellets or treats). I'm sure there are others here that can provide more and better advice for you. I just wanted to get this thread bumped back up so that some of those experts will chime in. :)

OP
ILOVEKIWI

ILOVEKIWI

Dec 15, 2020
Parrots
Kiwi GCC
For a little baby conure, especially THAT young, it could be that he isn't fully weaned.
Yeah he definitely isn't fully weaned, he eats fruit (as treats during the day) vegetables, pellets etc like the vet said, but still on formula, we're working on it lol

There are a lot of threads about how to deal with biting, here's a couple:
Thank you!

Unrelated but the name Yoda is the coolest name ever, kind of wish I named Kiwi that now:D but at the same time he's my little kiwi:p

OP
ILOVEKIWI

ILOVEKIWI

Dec 15, 2020
Parrots
Kiwi GCC
They're feisty little boogers :D
:D :D :D

I suggest not saying anything, as birds love getting a reaction. Whenever he bites, just turn your back and ignore him.

Thank you for telling me! I will

Awwww!! So adorable!
He's a precious lil boy :p:smile015:
It sounds like you love him very much.
I really do :)

Most Reactions